Changing MT-82 Tranny Fluid

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'd like to know the specs on MTL too. I haven't really looked into it.

MTL tech info

MTL specs

MTL Product page

If you need me to decipher any of this information for you, let me know. So far, everyone who is using a true synthetic lubricant in their Getrag reports greatly improved shifting, no matter the viscosity chosen between Amsoil Synchromesh (9.6 cSt) and Royal Purple 75W-90 (16 cSt). I prefer a lighter fluid like Synchromesh, but MTL (10.6 cSt) seems to be doing a fantastic job! It should, as the viscosity is VERY close to a synchromesh.

Last edited:

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Unleashedbeast...Very good info. What does (cSt) stand for?
I just went out to Pepboys and bought 3qts. of the Royal Purple 75w90 Max-Gear fluid. How do you feel about the Max-Gear? Should I return it and buy the Synchromax or possibly just wait and order Amsoil or RedLine? I just want the BEST. My shifts pretty good stock except for some whining that I just got after some passes at the track.
I also want to change my engine oil, clutch fluid as well as rear end fluid. Do you have suggestions for what is BEST for those too?
I currently have 1,976 miles on the car. Should I change now or wait longer?
PLEASE steer me in the right direction. I just want what is BEST for the entire drivetrain. THANKS!!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashedbeast...Very good info. What does (cSt) stand for?

cSt = Centistokes, and is the unit of measure of a lubricant's viscosity @ 40*C and 100*C. The numbers I spoke of above are at 100*C (212*F)...normal engine temps.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity"]Wiki page - Viscosity[/ame]

I just went out to Pepboys and bought 3qts. of the Royal Purple 75w90 Max-Gear fluid. How do you feel about the Max-Gear? Should I return it and buy the Synchromax or possibly just wait and order Amsoil or RedLine?

If you stick with Royal Purple....I would choose their Synchromax instead of their Max Gear. Even though another member has success using Max Gear, I feel that it's going to be too viscous in the coldest months of the year.

Amsoil Synchromesh and Red Line MTL are both great options as well.

I also want to change my engine oil, clutch fluid as well as rear end fluid. Do you have suggestions for what is BEST for those too?
I currently have 1,976 miles on the car. Should I change now or wait longer?
PLEASE steer me in the right direction. I just want what is BEST for the entire drivetrain. THANKS!!

I am a BIG believer in using a true synthetic 10W-30 in the Coyote. The link below will explain why.

Why 10W-30

If your car were mine, it would have already been changed. I always want the initial wear metals out of an engine no later than the 1,500-2,000 mile range.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Motor Oil - 10w30 FULL synthetic

Tranny - Redline MTL

Rear Differential - RP 75w140

Clutch/Brake - ATE Super Blue and ATE Type 200 (switch off between the two)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
QS is probably "hydrocracked" highly refined petroleum. If I knew what the NOACK volatility of the lubricant was, I could tell you 100% what it was.

ViciousJay

Established Member
swapped out mine after 18k for RP 75/90 and MANNNNNN its so smooth i thought my hand was on a babies ass.

its def 100% a needed mod and it only took me 10 min

Shaun@AED

I swapped out the stock fluid for RP Syncromax and am not impressed.
Drove it 30 miles, the shifts are notchier than stock and going into 3rd I can feel the gears nearly grinding.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I need to get this done here soon. Whatever fill Ford is putting in for the TSB is simply making my transmission annoyingly noisy.

I'll probably try out the RP syncromesh to see what that does for the noise. Shifting effort has never really been an issue with my transmission except during quite cold mornings.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
RP 75w90 or Redline MTL > RP Synchromesh

The synchromesh hasn't helped out people that have installed it from what I've read. They aren't happy with it and are planning to switch their fluid out again to something different.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
RP 75w90 or Redline MTL > RP Synchromesh

The synchromesh hasn't helped out people that have installed it from what I've read. They aren't happy with it and are planning to switch their fluid out again to something different.

This debate just seems to be all over the place. One of the reasons I haven't done any swapping. I've read a few posts on TMS suggesting that RP themselves aren't recommending the MTL in this transmission.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
mine shifts so smooth. I never did the TSB. I was worried about thinner fluid making noise. I wonder how these fluids will affect the trans over time.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I going the AMSOIL route.:banana: I going to order my engine oil, trans fluid, and rear fluid from them. My stang just turned 2,000 miles so I think now is a good time. Amsoil even has a pump that attatches to their bottle to make rear and tranny fluid swaps easier:rockon:
g2039_250px.jpg

Shaun@AED

I swapped out the stock fluid for RP Syncromax and am not impressed.
Drove it 30 miles, the shifts are notchier than stock and going into 3rd I can feel the gears nearly grinding.

24hrs with Sycromax was enough to know it's the wrong fluid for these transmissions.

Swapped out the RP SyncroMax for RP 75w/90.
From the short test drive she seems to be back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread