Changing MT-82 Tranny Fluid

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I had a bad experience with Synchromax in my 1999 Trans Am (T56). It shifts so nice with Red Line D4 ATF, but terrible and notchy with Synchromax. That transmission died shortly after. Not saying it was the fluid...just my luck.

L454S

Established Member
Changed to Redline MTL at about 3000mi., no problem before or since. Really can't tell any difference, but mine shifted fine before. Have about 5400mi now.

cmycobrafly

Established Member
Royal Purple

Royal purple max gear lube 75w-90 here, just changed with 500 miles on clock. I live in Iowa with temps right now in the 30s. It def helped. The reason I went with RP max gear lube is simple. I didn't want to buy offline and I don't have anybody who sells redline in area. I bought 3 quarts for 64 dollars with tax from o'reilly auto parts.

I went with the max gear lube because on royal purple's website it compares the factory XT-M5-QS to there 10w-40 weight, and XT-11-QDC is basically thin like dextron. I remember Unleashed Beast saying that 75w-90 is basically a 10w-40 weight.

It took 10 mins to change. 8mm allen wrench for drain and fill plug, used hand pump to put back in.:rockon:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So basically there's no clear cut choice?

For the best case scenario, the clear cut choice is using a TRUE synthetic in the MT82. You can find that in Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Red Line.

I prefer Amsoil because I'm getting a top tier product at dealer/wholesale cost, as anyone can.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Sorry to revive an old post but didn't want to start a new one to ask a related question... for those who have swapped your transmission fluid, have you done it using ramps? Do I need to have the car level to get the 2.7 quarts of new fluid back in or can I fill it while the car is still on the ramps?

2012Yote

Term General
Established Member
Sorry to revive an old post but didn't want to start a new one to ask a related question... for those who have swapped your transmission fluid, have you done it using ramps? Do I need to have the car level to get the 2.7 quarts of new fluid back in or can I fill it while the car is still on the ramps?

I did mine with the front up and didn't have any problems. I do recommended a transfer pump if you don't have one because it's tight to get in there. Also I recommend amsoil or mobil 1.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply man. I got one of those pumps that screws on to the quarts so hopefully that will do the trick.

2012GTCS

Established Member
I thought everyone was now leaning towards the AmsOil MTG over the Redline MTL??? I want to do this swap soon but dont know what to lean to or where the fill is.

Also for the experts...All over the forums I've been seeing posts turn into flame wars about straying from the 5w20. Most people seem to stick with it while I thought alot of guys went 5-30 or 10-30. People are saying the heavier weight can mess up the TiVCT.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
I'm going with BG Synchroshift II.

However, I just had the car on the ramps and how the hell are you supposed to get a torque wrench in there to tighten the fill plug back up to the specified torque... there is only about 2-3 inches between the plug and the transmission tunnel :dw:

2012Yote

Term General
Established Member
I thought everyone was now leaning towards the AmsOil MTG over the Redline MTL??? I want to do this swap soon but dont know what to lean to or where the fill is.

Also for the experts...All over the forums I've been seeing posts turn into flame wars about straying from the 5w20. Most people seem to stick with it while I thought alot of guys went 5-30 or 10-30. People are saying the heavier weight can mess up the TiVCT.

He is talking about tranny fluid but you are ok to run 5w-20 or 5w-30.

2012Yote

Term General
Established Member
I'm going with BG Synchroshift II.

However, I just had the car on the ramps and how the hell are you supposed to get a torque wrench in there to tighten the fill plug back up to the specified torque... there is only about 2-3 inches between the plug and the transmission tunnel :dw:

I didn't use a torque Wrench. If you are confident in your mechanical abilities then try and use about as much force to apply the plug as it was to remove it. Use a steady motion, no jerking.

yellowrubiu

Established Member
Swapped my fluid this morning. However, if you have a set of RaceRamps, like I do, you will not be able to get all the fluid in with the front of the car on the ramps. I knew this would be the case when I removed the fill plug and about a quarter of a quart started shooting out catching me off guard and making me scramble for a catch pan.

When I had about 8 ounces left to go it started spilling out of the fill hole. I had to put the fill plug back on, pull out of the garage and turn the car around then back up onto the ramps to get that last bit of oil in.

As far as torquing the fill plug back goes, there is a painted white line on the plug so I just took note of how it lined up - I actually snapped a picture of it so I could have a reference point when putting the plug back - and then tightened back to the same position when I was done.

I took the car out for about a 15 mile test drive and came back, put it back up on the ramps and checked to make sure everything looked good and nothing was leaking/overflowing.

As far as immediate impressions go, nothing drastic, maybe a hair smoother but from what I've been reading it takes a lot more that a short test drive to really start noticing any differences. Then again my transmission was almost perfect after the MGW shifter install but I also wanted to put a good quality fluid in there to help long term.

Users who are viewing this thread