CHECK THIS OUT...Biggest Aftermarket Mod for 03 Cobra Due Out SOON...

Hammer

Established Member
Kenne Bell is coming out with a bolt-on replacement blower specifically for the 03 Cobra. It is due out in Dec or Jan 03.

I spoke at length with a couple of reps at Kenne Bell. According to them, it will be a true bolt-on replacement; requiring NO modifications whatsoever.

It is a well-known fact that the twin-screw Kenne Bell is FAR superior in every aspect to the Eaton roots-type blowers: they are more efficient (colder air at same boost; same pulley) and twice as powerful.

They could not confirm whether or not it will be available in a polished version. They did say that it would run approx $3K.

I was told that it's boost range will be from 7-22 PSI. And this is a blower that you CAN run at full boost without losing all efficiency.

That will put the 03's beyond 600 rwhp and EASILY in the 10's.

Wanna have the undisputed street ANIMAL of the neighborhood?

This is the ticket.

:burnout:

Hammer

Established Member
And...it's really not a bad idea when you think about it from a warranty standpoint.

If you blow something up with that MONSTER blower, you can probably bolt the Eaton back on in about the same amount of time that it would take you to swap the factory pulley back onto the Eaton.

But I think that the 03 engine can handle LOTS of abuse. They're VERY STOUT. Still, it's just SO NICE to have that FoMoCo insurance policy...just incase. GOD, I LOVE THESE CARS!!!!

03Cobra

Established Member
BUT your warranty will be void cause

All the service folks have to do is to hook you up to the computer and see what happened and when they see all the boost and other funky stuff, you will be busted and without warranty

sapper

Established Member
Sounds like a great mod. But I would wait until my warrenty runs out before changing out the blower.

Then again, if you have the $$ and this blower works good and people don't have problems and you really want the fastest rod in town....
:rolling:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: BUT your warranty will be void cause

Originally posted by 03Cobra
All the service folks have to do is to hook you up to the computer and see what happened and when they see all the boost and other funky stuff, you will be busted and without warranty
Sorry, I don't buy that. My Friend has been a Ford driveability tech for many years and has seen all the incarnations of the EECIV, EECV, and previous. He knows nothing about that, or hasn't mentioned anything about that lately. When I worked at the dealer I could record different parameters to diagnose what was going on, but it had to be initiated manually, so I could troubleshoot the system, but I don't remember a "black box" type recording system. I could be wrong, as I have been before and probably will be again, however, the last cars I wrenched on were the 98's w/EECV, and from what I remember didn't have that capability.

Last edited:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Well, the warntee thing is a big reason I'm waiting for a while to do any serious mods. Should I or shouldn't I change out the pully? The KB Blower looks very sweet too... but if I do it's an all or nothing deal - I would never take the Cobra in for warentee work if what I did caused the damage. As they say... you do have to pay if you wanna play... and I wouldn't ask Ford to foot the bill for my mod addiction. I know alot of peeps that do the opposite, and I have no problems what-so-ever when I hear people doing just that. I'm cool with it - you gotta do what you gotta do. Call me old fashion and stupid - but I do believe integrity & honesty still have a place in this world. In the long run, and in my experience, you're only hurting yourself when you don't stick to your values. A man is defined by his actions and deeds... if you can't be true to them, then maybe you aren't the man you think you are. Just some food for thought.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I wouldn't mind having the KB if nothing else at the same 8 pounds of boost it would be extremely more efficient mechanically and thermally. Also it will bring the boost on faster I think KB says they get full boost by 2k. I am not getting full boost until over 3K.

Also I think the computer has no idea of what boost you are running the line for the boost guage is directly connected if it was going through the PCM it would not be. But if I did this I wouldn't expect Ford to pay for any side effects.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by sn8k
Call me old fashion and stupid - but I do believe integrity & honesty still have a place in this world. In the long run, and in my experience, you're only hurting yourself when you don't stick to your values. A man is defined by his actions and deeds... if you can't be true to them, then maybe you aren't the man you think you are. Just some food for thought.

If that is your philosophy in life then good for you. I have no problem with that (as you have said about my philosophy).

But I have a very different feeling on how things work in the world. I have morals and values just as you do. But my 'rule book' is a BIT DIFFERENT than yours is.

My value system goes like this: I am loyal and true to my friends and family. I conduct my profession with honesty and integrity. I treat people with a general level of respect. Most of all, I TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY THEY TREAT ME. So don't start if you don't want to hear it back.

I have been screwed over by 'big corporate America' many, many times in my life. I know that Ford would look for any technicality they could to void my warranty and refuse me service in order to save a buck - even if a mod had nothing to do with the problem.

I recently sent a very expensive package through Fed Ex and they lost it in transit. I put a very high declared value on it. They demanded all kinds of paperwork in order to process the claim. There was one piece of paperwork that I didn't have...but they still KNEW that the claim was legit...and they did not dispute losing the package...but yet they screwed me out of the money that they owed me and denied the claim. I filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs and I have no other recourse short of handing a wad of cash to a lawyer and sue them. No thanks!

That's corporate America. Welcome to the jungle.

I WOULD NOT HESITATE to mod my car and change it back to stock in order to get an engine replaced...regardless of the cause of the breakage. To do so does not bear on my conscious in any way, shape or form. As a matter of fact, that was one of the reasons that I bought this car in the first place. Ford ain't got my loyalty...FORD HAS MY MONEY!!! I take care of my family and friends and my last name ain't Ford.

If some people have 'storybook ideals' then that's fine by me. Live and let live. Don't pass judgement on me and I won't tell you that I think it's a load of Brady Bunch bullsh*t that you are talking. The world outside of my front door doesn't look a whole lot like "Leave it to Beaver". And I ain't Wally.

But those who REALLY have those kind of ideals don't spout off about it in order to look elite and righteous. I believe people who get up on a petistal about how "GOOD THE ARE" are usually hiding something.

If you caught your kid stealing from a store would you turn him in? If you say no, you're a hypocrite by your own words. If you say yes then you are a traitor to your own blood and more morally deficient than most criminals in jail.

There's always two sides to a coin. Don't "SHOULD" on me and I won't "SHOULD" on you.

A comedian once said: A friend will help you move. A BEST FRIEND will help you move a body.

Last edited:

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Hey wasn't the kenne belle supposed to be out a year ago? Oh thats right... they delayed again! They better not toy with us. We're cobra owners and we dont take delays from no one!!!

kenne belle blower.. or

http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/index.html
the most delayed product.. EVER. Im not kidding. It was
supposed to be out 4 years ago.

It took so long that i grew up and stopped playing duke nukem (4 years ago)

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
So how about them Niner's!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, guys. Some things just REALLY push my buttons.

sn8k and ho779: I completely respect your positions and understand where you are coming from. But I wanted to illustrate my feelings on the subject. But, again, I completely respect your position as well.

Catchme: I didn't know that Kenne Bell had such a bad rep for being late on new products. This one's specific for the 03 so it ain't late yet; since the 03 just came out.

But I hope that don't pull that BS on this product. Maybe if some of us inquire with them they won't drop the ball.

There's an email that I got from Kenne Bell about this product:

The kit is under development and scheduled for production very soon. If you would like to be placed on our mailing list for when the kit is available, please contact our sales dept. at (909) 941-6646. They will be happy to assist you further. Thank you for your inquiry.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Hammer - sorry I hit a nerve dude... that was not the intent. I never judge anyone here for their choices and completely respect their positions. The comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, sorry if you took it that way.

I can assure you though, I have nothing to hide nor did I mean to sound elitist or hollier then thou. I'm just a 45 year old man that probably watched too much Star Trek in his day, and probably too may repeats of Star Wars, Patton, Midway, Spartacus, the Ten Commandments, & The Right Stuff. As I said, just call me old fashion & stupid... But come on now bro - Leave it to Beaver wasn't all that bad, was it? :-D

SB 03

Established Member
I'm a huge niners fan, but I live up here in cheese ville where there are a bunch of freakin' fudge packer fans, yikes

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Re: Re: BUT your warranty will be void cause

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Sorry, I don't buy that. My Friend has been a Ford driveability tech for many years and has seen all the incarnations of the EECIV, EECV, and previous. He knows nothing about that, or hasn't mentioned anything about that lately. When I worked at the dealer I could record different parameters to diagnose what was going on, but it had to be initiated manually, so I could troubleshoot the system, but I don't remember a "black box" type recording system. I could be wrong, as I have been before and probably will be again, however, the last cars I wrenched on were the 98's w/EECV, and from what I remember didn't have that capability.

I talked at length one time (early this year) with the service director at a large Ford dealer. He's a HUGE Mustang fan... he said that Ford was starting (in 2002, 2003) to put computers in the cars that would record that information.

He said that in the past, he'd have guys come into the shop that put a piston through the engine block because they were running too lean (didn't change the FI system when they strapped on a blower or something similar), and of course when he asked them what mods they did - they'd tell him 'nothing' (they had taken the blower off). He said that all he wanted them to do was be honest with him... it will make his life easier during trouble shooting and he would be more than happy to stretch the warranty as far as it will go to help these guys out.

With the new computers now, he said that he will be able to figure out exactly the type of mods that were done...

Anyway, don't know how true this is, but the guy seemed pretty honest...

P.S. - this was also the guy who said that he went to Ford HQ just after the Auto Show and saw a 2003 Cobra on the lot. When he spoke with one of the SVT guys and asked them if they were really putting out 390 HP, the guy said
"we haven't had one test at 390 HP yet... they are all well over 400"
...and that has turned out to be true... :)

Silver 03 Cobra

As an owner of a 99 and 01 Cobras I can tell you that KB has been going to sell a SC for 99 up Cobras for three years. When you call they say they are six months away. They have been saying this for two years. I would doubt they would release an 03 kit before the 99/01 unless they interchange and I doubt that also. If I owned a 99/01 I would really be pissed if they released an 03 kit ahead of a 99/01. I would think there would be a bigger market for 99/01's also. How many 03 owners are really wanting 600 rwhp. I think KB along with Bassani is losing some respect with how they are approaching the market. I just seen an 03 Bassani exhaust dyno that was nearly identical to an 01 plus this guy had a 9 inch conical air filter compared to the car with the 01 that had the stock air box and K&N. These guys will be stupid to overlook the 99/01 Cobra owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
I understand both sides of the warranty debate, and respect everyones opinion...... however......

One of my biggest gripes on these boards are the people who mod...... really screw up the engine or trans...... and then scream about how Fords are big POS's because they didn't hold up to their stupidity.

It has happened over and over on the L boards. Everyone knows the limitation of the blocks is the rods, since they are very long and not forged. Everyone knows the limitations of the auto trans, because Ford drops 4 cylinders when it shifts (positive displacement blowers slam an incredible amount of torque through a trans NOW). Everyone knows what detonation can do to a blown motor...... yet, time and again, people go in and bash Ford for the trucks problems. "I only had a little detonation, was running a 6lb lower and 2lb upper without having the chip reprogrammed, and had it floored at 140 going up a mountain grade..... and it blew up!!!! F'king Ford POS !!!!! Now they won't warranty it!!!! I'm never going to buy a Ford again !!!!! Of course, it took 65 posts to find out the whole truth of the problem. In the beginning it was "I was just driving along and the engine blew!!!!" Same thing with the trans. Only running 450rwhp and 550rwtq on a trans that was designed for 500fwtq, and defeated the failsafe Ford installed in the computer..... and the trans blows. POS Ford!!!! Ford SUCKS!!!! When they should be saying "I'm a moron. I knew that this could happen, and I decided to play Russian Roulette, and it blew. Then, I expected Ford to pay for my stupidity."

Just remember, when we pay our $32K, there is a great deal of that that is built in for warranty repairs. When people abuse this, it makes the price of the vehicles go up, and makes the dealers much more picky about what they will fix under warranty. They start going overboard....... but it is understandable. If everyone was honest about repairs, people with honest repair needs wouldn't end up being denied.

Now, I am not simple enough to think that it would never happen..... but I have seen a pattern. First fix everything...... then get a bunch of bogus claims that you fix...... then get more and start denying...... then start seeing mods even where there are none...... then start denying many claims.

It happens people, don't be nieve enough to think it doesn't. :)

ho779

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I am in no way feeling bad for the big corporation, they do way more then their share of screwing everyone. And there are good points about how they will be willing to screw you at all costs (ford). I do agree with the entry just above mine. Do not call ford a pos if you raise the hp up over 5 bills and something breaks. If you feel good about breaking the car, making it stock again and taking it in for repair, go ahead, but its probably things like that that create fords unreasonableness when it comes to coverage as a whole. I mean, they know everyone does mods (again, I do not feel bad for Ford) but i do feel bad for people who have legit warantee issues that get screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread