Chirping sound after hard pull = bad idler pulley?

liedenfrost

Established Member
Like the title says. I get a chirp after a hard pull. I'm still on the stock idlers and have a tight belt. I'm running a 74" belt with a 2.76 upper only Stage IV Eaton. The chriping goes away a couple of minutes after the pull. I can't tell what is making the chirping noise since its intermittant.

MikeW

Established Member
Could be time to upgrade to BF idlers and see if it goes away.

Throwout bearings will/can chirp too

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Could be the belt or the idler pulley's I had same thing happen on a pretty new belt on stock idlers. But I just went ahead and upgraded to BF idlers which requried a bigger belt anyways so not for sure which one was the culprit.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I'd bet 20 bucks, its your belt. HAD the exact same issue on a GOOD NAPA Gates belt, replaced and it was gone. I've spent hours replacing pullies...etc and the belt ended up being the culprit. I guess if you have a tiny belt of belt slip, it becomes slippery/sticky in one place, and causes the little chirping sound.

A way to test this is WHILE the engine is running, pour some water on your blower belt.(the grip part, not the back of the belt) and see if the chirp goes away for a sec.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A quick way to determine if it is your belt is to spray the belt (while car is idling) with a mist of water. If the chirping goes away and returns in a few seconds, it's the belt.

acatalon

Established Member
Belts chirp.....Bearings roar, just learned this valuable lesson from an ole guy who rebuilds alternators

boosted_truck

Network God
Established Member
Belts chirp.....Bearings roar, just learned this valuable lesson from an ole guy who rebuilds alternators

Mine what chirping. Replaced all the bearings in the BF idlers and no more chirp.

Just an FYI BF recommends replacing the bearings in their idlers every 10-12K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread