Chrysler to Enter Bankruptcy Tomorrow

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
IMO it's not the cars. It's everything/everyone else.

gotta admit though, marketing campaigns to sway public opinion were few and far between. I would see 10 import car commercials before ever seeing a GM/Dodge/Ford one. Just recently did Ford's commercials start to get better and start going after their competition and showing their shits better. GM now has the total care package whatever commercial with Howie Long. Before that, the only commercials i would see are those of independent dealerships.

plus the dealerships need to weigh some of the blame. They were still selling less units at higher markups over more units with less markups. The latter is better for the manufacturer because it keeps them having to fullfill more orders to keep a model or lineup in the works. If dealers arent selling cars, they arent having to replenish inventory, which means the factory is going "no need to make another year of xxx vehicle, dealers arent asking for them!" and a model dies. Do it enough, and with enough dealers pulling the same shit, and a manufacturer starts to see a loss. The import dealers know they need to move units. move more units with lesser profit margins and you still make the same money as the other guy selling less at a higher margin, except youll still have a product to sell a few years from now.

TEGEN

Established Member
GM and Chrysler should let themselves go bankrupt before taking a loan from the Gov't. if you take a loan from the Gov't they will make you stop building V-8's, sports cars and muscle cars :nonono:

Death before Dishonor is the only way to go imo......

+10,000

Capatialism at work here. Let them rebuild & restructure like any other company in the United States has to do. They will come out of this leaner & meaner. It will be painful at first, but is the right thing to do.

Not only that, but if the UAW gets majority ownership of GM or Chrysler, that will be like having a wolf in the hen house. Remember that this is the same UAW that FORD uses.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
+10,000

Capatialism at work here. Let them rebuild & restructure like any other company in the United States has to do. They will come out of this leaner & meaner. It will be painful at first, but is the right thing to do.

Not only that, but if the UAW gets majority ownership of GM or Chrysler, that will be like having a wolf in the hen house. Remember that this is the same UAW that FORD uses.

That is True to a point. Are they better off filing for bankruptcy? Yeah Definitely. Question is how things turn out after. Hopefully for the better. Either way, anything is better then taking a bailout. Anything.

CDep55

Established Member
gotta admit though, marketing campaigns to sway public opinion were few and far between. I would see 10 import car commercials before ever seeing a GM/Dodge/Ford one. Just recently did Ford's commercials start to get better and start going after their competition and showing their shits better. GM now has the total care package whatever commercial with Howie Long. Before that, the only commercials i would see are those of independent dealerships.

plus the dealerships need to weigh some of the blame. They were still selling less units at higher markups over more units with less markups. The latter is better for the manufacturer because it keeps them having to fullfill more orders to keep a model or lineup in the works. If dealers arent selling cars, they arent having to replenish inventory, which means the factory is going "no need to make another year of xxx vehicle, dealers arent asking for them!" and a model dies. Do it enough, and with enough dealers pulling the same shit, and a manufacturer starts to see a loss. The import dealers know they need to move units. move more units with lesser profit margins and you still make the same money as the other guy selling less at a higher margin, except youll still have a product to sell a few years from now.

I agree. They suck at marketing. They do have more commercials now which show the good deals and all, but they still need to work on them. Look at commercials for mercedes and bmw, they are much more appealing. Which really helps there image. Basically ford needs to mix in some "cool" commercials to help get a new appearance.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Obama is set to announce on the radio today what he's doing with Chrysler. So apparently we now will have nothing to worry about. Right?

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
Obama is set to announce on the radio today what he's doing with Chrysler. So apparently we now will have nothing to worry about. Right?

Right! Hes got a magic wand remember?
turborofl.gif

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I've been thinking about buying a new ram too. Now this throws even more worry into the decision. Keep my current GM truck, or go for the new Ram. I know the prices are goin to DROP even farther on their new units once the announcement is made, which is good for me...but could also be bad if they can't get anything straight and end up like circuit city, leaving me with no warranty, and an empty promise from the government to take care of the "life time" power trian warranty.

Ahhhh......this sucks real bad for everyone!

Vigilante

Established Member

Absolutely true. If Ford, GM, and Chrysler had any part in the dealership stage none of this would have happened. Mark-ups? Yea go striaght to the pocket of the dealership. The dealership buys from the manufacturer and they in turn sell it to you.

If every dealership was regualated, i.e. punished for holding cars with $10,000 over MRSP for months at a time, everybody would be better off. Greed from the middle man is what is killing this industry.

Lastly, when selling a product, moving more units means getting more money to an extent. I remeber sitting in high school freaking algebra learning about maximizing profit equations. Did everybody working at the stealership flunk out of high school? Sure seems that way.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have worked with several companies who went throught restructuring via bankruptcy. The companies stayed in business, most workers retained their jobs (not all); creditors got most of their money back (not all), but the company was able to get rid of old, inefficient infrastructures and contracts, and come out stronger and profitable.

This is what must happen to both Chrysler and GM. Government interference and union ownership will not resolve the basic issues with each company and sets a bad precedent. IMHO Chrysler made the correct decision.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
I don't see the govt maintaining controll for very long. And still it's only a partial stake because there is taxpayer money involved. You want them to just spend your money on whatever. The Govt is just keeping an eye on them and making sure they don't **** around with our money. Once that money is no longer an issue I feel the govt will want out of this mess. This goes double for GM. GM is a proven money pit company. For 8 years it went from bad to horrendous. Wagoner did no good for that company. So now the govt gave them money and is making sure it's put to good use. Cuz if the govt just let them do whatever, everyone would be pissed about it. I know I would. Again, you can say all you want Govt Motors, etc, but the Govt will not have controlling stake and will be there just to keep the restructuring in order. But I am glad they are going bankrupt, shoulda done CH11 from the start, hell GM might even have become a profitable company by now! Tho Chrysler should just vanish, sell of the assets to Viper and sell Jeep to Ford or someone. Nothing else Chrylser makes matters IMO.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
So between the US and canadian governments, 10% of chrysler is govt owned. Deff not a controlling stake. So the govt motors shit can end here. Plus that 10% plus another 5% will be given back to chrysler.
And the national debt? haha you blaming that on obama? You are aware it was $10 Trillion in Sept, long before the election even happened right? Blaming the work of Bush on Obama. I suppose Obama is to blame for the war in Iraq and 9/11 too huh?

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
Its now Official. Hopefully they will come out on top of this, and Hopefully the Gov. Will be re-paid and taken out of the picture.

firebird1999us

Established Member
So between the US and canadian governments, 10% of chrysler is govt owned. Deff not a controlling stake. So the govt motors shit can end here. Plus that 10% plus another 5% will be given back to chrysler.
And the national debt? haha you blaming that on obama? You are aware it was $10 Trillion in Sept, long before the election even happened right? Blaming the work of Bush on Obama. I suppose Obama is to blame for the war in Iraq and 9/11 too huh?

I wouldn't bother man...just delete your post while they're all off listening to Limbaugh, stockpiling automatic weapons, and cage-fighting:shrug:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i don't ever want to sell my viper. i just want parts availability. its time for me to start stockpiling parts......

that's what i told my buddy who is viper shopping right now. people will start stock piling parts like hoods, fenders and more. stuff that isnt easily reproduced and if an aftermarket company did start making them, they'll cost a fortune because they'll be super low volume.

I've been thinking about buying a new ram too. Now this throws even more worry into the decision. Keep my current GM truck, or go for the new Ram. I know the prices are goin to DROP even farther on their new units once the announcement is made, which is good for me...but could also be bad if they can't get anything straight and end up like circuit city, leaving me with no warranty, and an empty promise from the government to take care of the "life time" power trian warranty.

Ahhhh......this sucks real bad for everyone!

at least you havent bought one YET. think about the guys that just bought them :read:

Absolutely true. If Ford, GM, and Chrysler had any part in the dealership stage none of this would have happened. Mark-ups? Yea go striaght to the pocket of the dealership. The dealership buys from the manufacturer and they in turn sell it to you.

If every dealership was regualated, i.e. punished for holding cars with $10,000 over MRSP for months at a time, everybody would be better off. Greed from the middle man is what is killing this industry.

the cars that are actually marked up in no way keep the manufacturer afloat. that only happens to limited run cars like the GT500s, Z06, Viper ACR etc... and new HOT cars while theyre still new. the bread and butter vehicles, mini vans, trucks, commuter cars, are never marked up.

I have worked with several companies who went throught restructuring via bankruptcy. The companies stayed in business, most workers retained their jobs (not all); creditors got most of their money back (not all), but the company was able to get rid of old, inefficient infrastructures and contracts, and come out stronger and profitable.

This is what must happen to both Chrysler and GM. Government interference and union ownership will not resolve the basic issues with each company and sets a bad precedent. IMHO Chrysler made the correct decision.

except there is no precedence for an automotive company filing bankrupcty and surviving before. it is unchartered territory :uh oh:

I wouldn't bother man...just delete your post while they're all off listening to Limbaugh, stockpiling automatic weapons, and cage-fighting:shrug:

:lol:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
hmmm maybe now is the time to go shopping for ram pickups... wonder if this will make them even more desperate to sell?

even though i am heavily leaning toward the f150 instead. but if there is a really good deal i would go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread