Cleaning CCW's

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have polished these wheels multiple times. I took them off while the car was tucked away for the winter and I need to get on them before the weather gets nice. They are in the basement and under the lights I really notice the swirl marks all over the wheels. Similar to paint swirls. They polish up and shine nicely but are still left with small minor swirls. Ive used buschs, mothers, Adams and they all seem to leave the same. I've used the mothers ball as well as microfibers.

I remember reading somewhere about terry clothes taking out swirls but I can't remember. Looking for suggestions on removing the minor swirls. I also picked up a small pack of the lighthouse Polish someone was talking about.

Ideas?
2A05FA4F-FCF6-4C40-AE17-81F7BAB769CA_zpsqmq8142w.jpg

5C5F5F06-75F4-4349-8322-25CFC1F49245_zpsgcg87erq.jpg

fast ford brian

Established Member
Terry cloth or the blue surgical towels from a hospital ( they sell them on ebay ). My welds were horrible for swirls and micro scratches till I switched rags .

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I just tried some Terry cloths with all my different polishes and Mothers seems to be the best but still leaves fine scratches.

I'm thinking about wet sanding them 1500-2000-2500 then getting some polishing cloths. Seems like people get good results from 3m polishing cloths

Zemedici

Established Member
That first shot is crazy. Like something out of a commercial.

I have also heard good things about 3M polishing cloths.

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
Adams metal polish 1 & 2 work good. I think Ccw also had a polish they recommend, don't remember the name.

White Diamond Polish

If only Steve at TF could coat our CCW's with the Acrylic clear coat :(

He recently posted it on FB and apparently its a permanent solution from having to polish your recently purchased TF wheels, almost like having chrome wheels just wash and rinse.

inyadreems

Established Member
Have you tried Mothers mini and full size Power Ball with a drill yet? I would try a power ball with a good polish like M205 and buff off with a quality 500+ GSM MF towel.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
White Diamond Polish

If only Steve at TF could coat our CCW's with the Acrylic clear coat :(

He recently posted it on FB and apparently its a permanent solution from having to polish your recently purchased TF wheels, almost like having chrome wheels just wash and rinse.

Yup He's putting that clear on my mach 5's! I'm glad he didn't ship mine out yet before asking me about it!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Messed around with what i had laying around. First pic is how the wheels look before any polishing

3606B8AB-5163-47F0-8B78-0777C9640096_zps0f19yom5.jpg

Next is using a mothers power cone with mothers aluminum polish
06287097-ECD9-41A8-B90D-BC2F8721ED63_zps8p87bfpw.jpg

You can notice the cone is making swirls, slightly finer but still cutting.

The last pic is using a felt drill bob I had laying around with seems like it was some sort of hair or fiber. This left the best finish, but still had very fine scratches.
4121B842-A137-4DBF-8EE5-BB32115E6BB5_zpszdlcymhg.jpg

I tried buffing it by hand after with a Cap Code polishing cloth and I believed it helped a little.

I'm planning ln picking up a few cotton wheels for my drill and trying that.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Tried buschs but was too abrasive, then Adams metal polish but still left marks. Just used Mothers Aluminum polish. Seemed to work best out of what I had on the shelf

Joyrider564

Established Member
Sounds good. I am gonna polish up my True Forged in the next couple days, so I am happy to see someone doing it first.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I'm still not happy with the small scratches, so I'll try a few more things. I think I need dry polishing cloths to clean then when finished

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm using my pc7424 5" backing plate and some 5.5" white flat pads spinning about 4.5. Polish is wolfgang concourse. The pc will work wonders on the spots it can get in (barrels and face of those spokes like you have...I have sp500s), mirror it up a level beyond those pics you posted. You can get some of the lip with the pc. Wipe the residue very gently with some decent microfibers swapping frequently. I put some duck tape around the retaining ring on the pc in case it bumps. The spots the pc cant get to I use those foam finger pads and do it the old fashion way. Then double seal over two days with wolfgang metal sealant. Should make the rims happy for a year on a garage queen

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
I get those fine scratches as well on my Classics. I used Adam's which I heard was the best and it didn't do shit. I used mothers and it worked really well. However, I want a more chrome like shine, so I need to either wet sand or try another polishing compound. Good luck and I will be subscribing for your results.

oldmodman

Established Member
My best luck was with a small 3 inch DA polisher. Using a black jeweling pad and Menzerna SF 4500 polish. It used to be called PO85rd

It left and absolutely marr free surface.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
So I just hit up harbor frieght looking for some drill attachments. While I was there I saw Meguires 205 for pretty cheap and saw people using finishing polish for these scratches on some forums. I did a quick test and it seemed to work well!

But I think first I'm going to use the DA to hit all the wheels with Mothers Aluminum polish first, then finish it with 205

Here is after 1 pass with a black pad and 205
C0A18064-68AB-435B-923D-20D2D7767E92_zps7pjt3gyc.jpg

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Finished my first wheel with step 1. Black pad with mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, speed 5-6

You can see the hologram and swirl is the wheel prior
E8B673A8-612F-4943-92FD-24DA50FB8A1C_zpsxtbuhgwn.jpg

And the wheel after 1-2 passes on the whole wheel that is gone and left with very very fine scratches. Way less I could get by hand
DF9A8A82-6A82-4F0F-9929-8D8FE169A608_zpsc9ytvd9p.jpg

I'm going to knock out step one on all 4 tonight then hopefully within the next few days hit them all one time with Meguires 205 with the same pad

Users who are viewing this thread