Clearkote over Zaino?

quazimoto

Banned
Count me in as a Clearkote believer!!! I've used Zaino up until i saw this post and decided to try Clearkote myself. Needless to say, i am not disappointed, in fact, i'm absolutely ecstatic with the results!!!

I drive an '03 black Cobra, and while Zaino is a great wax, i've used for a couple years, its very time-consuming and somewhat pricey. I ordered the Clearkote Moose Wax and Carnauba Wax and am still speechless how rich and wet the car now looks, and it only takes me a couple hours, whereas Zaino was an all-day event.

Thanks guys, i have seen the light!!!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by quazimoto
Count me in as a Clearkote believer!!! I've used Zaino up until i saw this post and decided to try Clearkote myself. Needless to say, i am not disappointed, in fact, i'm absolutely ecstatic with the results!!!

I drive an '03 black Cobra, and while Zaino is a great wax, i've used for a couple years, its very time-consuming and somewhat pricey. I ordered the Clearkote Moose Wax and Carnauba Wax and am still speechless how rich and wet the car now looks, and it only takes me a couple hours, whereas Zaino was an all-day event.

Thanks guys, i have seen the light!!!

:rockon: :thumbsup:

Awesome! Glad to hear it! I am doing my car tomorrow!

Did you have any problems or concerns with the Vanilla or Carnauba Moose? Did you claybar the car beforehand?

quazimoto

Banned
Hi JUICED-03, no problems/concerns at all with the Vanilla or Carnauba.

I used the claybar about a month and a half ago so i don't need to use it for a while, what i did do, however, to make sure i got all the Zaino off before i applied the Clearkote, was to wash my car with good old fashioned Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Then i went ahead and used the Clearkote product, and damn was i glad i did, this stuff is simple as-can-be to apply and take off, you'll love it, good luck!!!

BLK_03

Established Member
I remember when I first applied the vanilla moose. I wiped some on the front quarter panel (the top of the car by the hood) as this was the easiest place to see the result. I immediately took the microfiber towel and wiped it away. I stopped, literally in disbelief and stared at the panel. I do this in my garage with fluorescent lighting wich really shows swirls, and most importantly, unremoved product. The panel looked perfect, deep, wet, no product remaining, no dust whatsoever. I couldn't believe it!!!

I have a feeling as temperatures start to warm up and people are getting the detailing bug, we will see a lot more zaino to clearkote switches and for good reason!

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Ok, can someone post some pics of their cherokee job please, it doesn't have to be right after product application, it would be interesting to see how it lasts after a week or so... And is everyone just using the clearkotte killer combo, or are you going with the fancy spray... and is any clay bar good stuff, or is there a good brand to go with?

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
WOW, ask a ? and it turns into a 10 page thread. I appreciate all the replies and input. My clearkote products just showed up in the mail, can't wait to try them. Get the Show special listed on their website, and do what Juiced says and substitute the carnuba wax for the moose wax. Lots of good stuff for 60 bucks.

When I called Everett Glass (clearkote owner) took my call on technical ?'s and gave me great ideas on how to use his products, his wife took my order. Everything came wrapped in bubble pack. Nice attention to detail.

Can't wait to detail the cars with Clearkote for a fair comparison. One comment on Zaino that has stuck with me is that a Zaino finish "Looks like you covered your car with saran wrap".

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have used Zaino on my car. Yes its like putting saran wrap on your car. I noticed that Zaino looks great the first few days, but swirl marks can be seen when you look very close to the paint. There is no way Zaino can fill, fix, or hide swirl marks. Its non-abrasive. Putting liquid saran wrap on your car will not fix the swirls, but it will protect them quite well. The shine looks amazing, dont get me wrong, but I cant stand it when you look very close to the paint and see those little swirl marks all over the car. From two feet back you cant see those. Standard wax will look a thousand times better in both aspects. It will shine, and you wont see any swirl marks. There are two drawbacks though to standard wax. It will melt when the car gets hot? (is that true?) and it doesnt last as long. I guess the perfect combo would be some type of handglaze or standard polish(not the Zaino polish Zaino claims will get red of swirls, because it doesnt), then the Zaino, but the zaino wont stick to anything but bare paint. This Clearkote stuff seems interesting. Post some picks please!

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Right on man! Hey your sig looks familiar. Didnt I recommend these products to you on the NorcalLs1 board?? :D

(My name on there is COBRyan)
Hey ya I thought that might be you!! :thumbsup:

Ya thanks for the recommendation .. So far so good.. Washed my car yesterday and sprayed with quickshine when I was done ... Feels like it did the day I waxed it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
Ok, can someone post some pics of their cherokee job please, it doesn't have to be right after product application, it would be interesting to see how it lasts after a week or so... And is everyone just using the clearkotte killer combo, or are you going with the fancy spray... and is any clay bar good stuff, or is there a good brand to go with?

sorry dude, but this si the third time.

C-L-E-A-R-K-O-T-E

CLEARKOTE=yes

cherokee=NO

i got it yesterday, applying to a carbon black M3 today.

so far so good.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Ok, my terminology was off... just shooting for pics

Quadcammer

Established Member
well i applied the vanilla moose to the m3, and then applied some number 7 meguiars in the tan bottle and i can't really tell a difference.

the swirls and scratches are all still there. i followed the directions and im not all that impressed. The wax should not be applied to a warm car as it drys fast and is just about impossible to remove.

i personally think that megiuars 26 hi tech liquid wax is better at this point.

i will put some on the cobra when i get it back and if its not any better, then black 03 or juiced 03, you guys can have this sutff.

BLK_03

Established Member
the vanilla moose and carnuba moose should be the LAST TWO steps!!!

If you have any swirls, you should use a product of your choice to remove those... then go to the Clearkote products. (Dawn wash the car before anything)

Do small areas of panels at a time. If you remove the clearkote products before they haze, they will come off with hardly any rubbing whatsoever. Even when I got overzealous and applied to a large section and the product hazed over, I could still wipe off with absolutely no trouble.

Better luck with the cobra, make sure to use products in the order listed above. And try applying in the shade.

Quadcammer

Established Member
well not so much the swirls bothered me, the scratches didn't get covered AT ALL. swirls i can get rid of later.

when i applied the wax, by the time i was done with applying it had dried hard.

my point with applying meguiars 7 was to see if there was a difference. I did the door with 7 and the rear quarter with VM. there was no visible difference between the two. i did not apply the two on the same panel.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Vanilla Moose really doesnt have a lot of swirling/scratching abrasives so it sounds like you need to use a polish before applying them. Thats funny you say you had problems removing the CK. I used it on my car yesterday in 75 degree weather and left it on for a half an hour while I took care of a phone call. I came back and it buffed right off. Unless you are talking about the #7 (which is a PITA to work with) I dont see how you are having problems with CK. And did you only use Vanilla Moose? If you didnt use Carnauba Moose as the last step your results wont be as stunning. I dont know what to tell you. I have done many cars with this stuff and my customers are always shocked by the results. Sounds like you really need a swirl remover to prep the paint.

BLK_03

Established Member
You have to use some other product to remove light swirls and scratches (juiced is the expert here). Clearkote will only minimally remove those.

The part that impressed me the most with this product was how easy it was to remove. When you first apply, it looks wet, kinda greasy. This is the time to remove. With old school waxes (and zaino) you let things haze over and then remove ( =time and sometimes difficult). Remove the clearkote products AS SOON as you apply, and brother, if you think that is difficult to remove then I can not help ya!

Quadcammer

Established Member
the vm was easy to remove. the wax when it dried in the sun was not easy to remove.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I believe the company has a money back guarantee. Just give them a call and return it.

Users who are viewing this thread