Close, but no cigar

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Well I was going for the 10s today at SGMP. The goal was to get there with the stock eaton and I just missed it. Here are my mods and vids of the runs. Sorry for the quality we only had a digital camera which also made videos. No zoom, but you can see the launch and here the shifts good.

03 cobra: Harley upper, 6lb lower, 2 100mm idlers, S&B 12" filter, Accufab TB & inlet, larger coolant tank, Bassani catted X and Flowmaster catback. 26X11.5 et streets on Weld alumastar 2.0s.

Weight reduction: removed swaybar, spare/jack,airbags, insulation under carpet, rear seat delete, Corbeau forza IIs, light wt. battery and Weld alumastar 2.0s. Half tank of gas. wt. for these runs 3580/3575.

Run #1: 1.66, 4.668, [email protected], 9.30, [email protected] 5000 rpm launch
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=43omx06

Run #2: 1.595, 4.596, [email protected], 9.246, [email protected] 5200rpm launch
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=40nve54

Run #3: 1.632, 4.641, [email protected], 9.335, [email protected] 6000rpm launch
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=40aus6c

Run #3 I tied to launch to hard and spun through 1st. Car also had a little hiccup on 2/3 shift which is usually worth a tenth when it does that.

CantDrv55

Banned
I was there watching these runs and can validate all those times. That car is definately hauling some ass. Tens next season for sure.:rockon:

convert03cobra

Established Member
Have you ever broken a stock half shaft? I usually launch at 2500RPM which is low I know but I don't want to break. I usually end up wheel hopping and have to let off a bit. Any advice. I'm on a stock clutch too. Pretty much same mods as you with DRs and around 460rwhp.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
No, I have not broken anything(knock on wood). I have run on Nitto drs, BFG drs and now MT et streets. The et streets are definately easier on the irs. I have rarely experienced any wheel hop and so far none at all with the et streets. I am also on a stock clutch and stock irs. I think my launch technique is the reason for my success with stock parts. I don't really dump the clutch or slip it either. I come off the clutch with a very quick and smooth motion while mashing the gas to the floor at the same time. If you do experience any wheel hop let out of it and abort the run. Wheel hop is the #1 killer of the irs. What kind of drs do you have?

Last edited:

shoaf85

Established Member
Nice times man, your speed on the upper end is for sure good enough for a 10 sec pass. Gotta love weight reduction.:thumbsup:

convert03cobra

Established Member
F8LSNAKE said:
What kind of drs do you have?

I have Nitto 555s. They are only 275/40/17s but I got them slightly used for $174 shipped so I couldn't pass them up. I tried stock F1s at the track and that was a mistake. Best run was mid 12's. I'll have to try the higher RPM launches with a good burn out so my tires are sticky. Best DR run so far is 12 flat. Not that great. I guess practice makes perferct. And I'm glad to hear you are on the stock clutch running so well. I still have the stocker but getting a Spec 3 for Xmas. So when the stocker goes, oh well.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
The nittos are definately more finicky than the other drs, but they are the best all around for street and strip. I would try the higher launches, I've found they work the best at getting these heavy beasts moving. Practice does make perfect, as these are one of the harder cars to learn what they like to launch at. Do your burnouts in 2nd gear if you don't already. Gets more tire speed and actually take less of burnout to get them ready.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
Your #'s are very interesting, Here were my Numbers the week before at SGMP:

1.63 6oft
7.04@98 mph
10.98@126 mph

Full wieght Cobra @ 3750#,2.76 upper w/ stageIV port,60 lb injectors,2400 maf,GT pumps,Nitrous dry shot pre-maf ( 43 jet )

Was very happy with my time and MPH - But your MPH is AWESOME !!!

I'm leaving at 3000 rpm - with the same method as you - on M/T drag radials and getting same 60 fts ?? I'm using the NOS as soon as I feel the front end come up and the rear squat down, which is geeting me to the 1/8 a little quicker than you close to the same MPH and you are pulling 4 more MPH in the 1/4 mile !!! What are you shifting at ??? Have you changed rear gears or are your tires taller ???

Anyway great runs man !!! Hope to see you at SGMP soon !!!

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
truebluecobra, I'm shocked myself with my mph. After the 1st run I thought it was a fluke. Then I backed it up with a 129.82. On the 3rd I made some mistakes and it was still close. Then I thought maybe there timers were off, but my friends cobra was trapping his normal mph and he had not changed anything on his car, but drs that were still the same size. My car had previously trapped 126.72 at 200lbs. heavier. I've always been good at extracting maximum pwr. from a car. I will get all I can out of it before I do more mods. My next mod will be the steigy stg. 4. Hopefully this week. I shift at 6200 and I still have stock gears. I prolly will be at SGMP again when they open. Keep in touch and maybe we can hook up. Do you run with your headlight out? I also put ice in the cooler which helps.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
Headlight stays in and no ice in cooler - figure the NOS will take care of that? Do you datalog Iat2 temps ?? If 100 lbs = .1 in E.T. I wonder if 200 lbs is worth 2 mph ?? Yes, we will have to hook-up at the track and do some testing!!!

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Generally that is the rule, every 100lbs. is worth .1 and 1mph, but it seems to maybe be even more of a factor on these cars since they are so heavy to begin with. Yeah, you're right about the nitrous. Probably not much need for the ice with it, but in my case it definately helps as does removing the headlight. My filter is an open end design and it comes right up behind the headlight. Pretty good ram air effect. Oh, no datalogging. I do keep up with stuff like launch rpms, weight, tire pressures and such. Do you ever run at Gainsville?

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Outstanding runs! Thats some of the fastest trap speeds I've seen from a stock Eaton car, congrats! Who does your tuning? You need to thank them!

CantDrv55

Banned
Hissssnsvt said:
Outstanding runs! Thats some of the fastest trap speeds I've seen from a stock Eaton car, congrats! Who does your tuning? You need to thank them!
More than his tuning is the fact that he is a hella good driver. Driver mod is priceless.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Thanks CantDrv55. The last time the car was tuned was before the S&B filter, Accufab TB & inlet and the Flowmaster catback. The car made 449hp and 502tq. I don't know what it's making now. I will be putting it on the dyno after I get the stg. IV Steigy on. Car was last tuned by Mike Johnson at No Limit Motorsports. I did not own the car at the time, but it was a friend of mine that did. Mike is the guy that used to tune Aaron Archers car which was one of the fastest mod motors in the country at one time. From what I understand he is no longer at No Limit.

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Hissssnsvt, Wow your car launches good. What kind of suspension mods do you have. Your car wouldn't by chance be the one in that street vid that is pullin the tires would it. Very impressive.

Angus

Established Member
Nice MPH! :thumbsup:

You shouldn't have a problem hitting 10's next time around with a little better 60' time. :coolman:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Thanks Angus, the last run should have been it, but my foot moved a little and the r's shot to 6000. I was wanting to launch at 5500. It was the end of the day and we were rushed to make it to the lanes. When it shot up to 6000 I said what the f***, maybe it'll hold, but it didn't. Maybe I should get a 2-step.

Users who are viewing this thread