Close, but no cigar

Angus

Established Member
:burnout:
F8LSNAKE said:
Well I finally got to try out the steggy. There were several videos made, but I haven't seen them yet. I will get them posted as soon as I can. Anyway, here are the #s. I never got in a perfect run, but I did finally get my 10.

Run 1-60'-1.63, 330'-4.563, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.135, 1320'[email protected] I missed 4th gear on this run.

Run 2-60'-1.671, 330'-4.664, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.264, 1320'[email protected] I bogged the car on this run

Run 3-60'-1.67, 330'-4.753, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.319, 1320'[email protected] This run I spun through 2nd gear.

Run 4-60'-1.619, 330'-4.63, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.205, 1320'[email protected] This run the now mysterious hiccup occurred on the 2/3 and 3/4 gear changes. I was supprised it even ran a 10 despite the best 60' of the day. The hiccup usually cost about a tenth everytime it does it.

Anyway, I know it has at least a 10.8 in it the way it sits and I have a solid rear goin in soon. Maybe 10.60s then.

NICE! :beer:

I was stuck at 7.00X in the 1/8th last year... but this year will be different...

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I didn't really expect the trap speeds that I had at SGMP. I'm still skeptical about those, but that's what the et slips said. I know it's still got alot more in it. The first pass was definately a in the 10.80's had I not missed 4th. The weather was pretty good. Temps were in the low 60's. I don't know what the actual corrected altitude was. I guess I need to change my sig now.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
What do you think your total weight reduction is? Maybe 200 lbs? There's only been a handful of non-nitrous, IRS Eatons out there......Maybe 6?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Probably around 300lbs. I can't wait to get the solid rear in it. More weight reduction and reliability. I think I'm also gonna get the aluminum front bumper support. I still don't have a tubular K or A-arms either, so I'll probably get those at some point down the road. Maybe I'll do headers at that point. I'm gonna stick with the eaton though. I want to see how far I can get my ets down on motor and then add some spray. My eventual goal is to try and run a 9.90 with the eaton and spray.

Last edited:

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
Probably around 300lbs. I can't wait to get the solid rear in it. More weight reduction and reliability. I think I'm also gonna get the aluminum front bumper support. I still don't have a tubular K or A-arms either, so I'll probably get those at some point down the road. Maybe I'll do headers at that point. I'm gonna stick with the eaton though. I want to see how far I can get my ets down on motor and then add some spray. My eventual goal is to try and run a 9.90 with the eaton and spray.
Well, that's the formula.....Lot's of weight reduction, especially off the front end, and get a chassis setup which will let you hit some 1.3 sixty foot times. And then of course, drive it like you stole it!!!!

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I doubt it will hit 1.3 60', but maybe some 1.40s, which should get me into the 10.60's. I didn't really want to put a cage in it either, but it may end up that I have to unless I quit running at the track. I am definately gonna do through the floor subframe connectors though. If I do end up with a cage, it will be chromoly with either removable door bars or swingouts.

VoodooSNK

Established Member
Nice runs! Congrats on hitting the 10's with an Eaton. Isn't the Harley upper the same size as the stock Cobra upper?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
94-98 Trans-Am, my buddy is working on them as we speak. Should have them up by Friday.

VoodooSNK, thanks and the Harley upper is a little smaller. I think it is 3.1 or 3.2 and the factory cobra is 3.5. It looks stock to most people though, since it is a Ford pulley. I don't have the Steggy sticker on the blower either, so it's kinda stealthy looking. At least as much as a Cobra on Welds can look.

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
I doubt it will hit 1.3 60', but maybe some 1.40s, which should get me into the 10.60's. I didn't really want to put a cage in it either, but it may end up that I have to unless I quit running at the track. I am definately gonna do through the floor subframe connectors though. If I do end up with a cage, it will be chromoly with either removable door bars or swingouts.
Yeah, it may be kinda tough to hit 1.30's on Eaton only. But, once you add some juice, should be no problem with your proposed setup. Here's a pic of a buddy of mine (sprayed snake) who has a ported Eaton with a 150 shot. He ran a 10.30 @ 133 on this pass at 3,440 lbs. His sixty was 1.34.

bracketracingatcecilcounty011.gif

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
That's awesome. My last car used to leave like that, but it only weighed 2800lbs with driver and a cage. Do you know what suspension he was running. Gear and tire combo as well? I can't wait to get my solid in now.

Last edited:

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
That's awesome. My last car used to leave like that, but it only weighed 2800lbs with driver and a cage. Do you know what suspension he was running. Gear and tire combo as well? I can't wait to get my solid in now.
Hmmmmm....let me see if I can jog my memory here. The fact that there's 265 Cobras in the MACA makes this kinda tough :shrug:

I "believe" that Jon's running 4.10 gears on 16" x 10" rims and 28" tall Hoosier'st. I know he's running 15 x 3.5" Prostars up front, (because he helped me get mine!). Also QA1 shocks on the rear and I believe he's running an aftermarket K member up front with coil overs.

He was going to make an assault on Flamed03's 10.01 Eaton run, but decided a couple of months ago to upgrade to a 2.2KB........

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
The solid rear I'm getting has a 3.90 gear with fully adjustable upper and lowers all solid mounts. Eaton carrier with 31 spline axles. I'm gonna see what I can get out of this set up, so it will probably be the end of this season or beginning of next before I add the nitrous. Is the 10.01 the fastest eaton? I thought someone had gone 9s on one. I may have more of a lofty goal than I thought, but then that's what goals are for I guess.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Congrats man...10's with a Eaton/IRS/6-speed is certainly a great accomplishment...:rockon:

IronTerp said:
Hmmmmm....let me see if I can jog my memory here. The fact that there's 265 Cobras in the MACA makes this kinda tough :shrug:

I "believe" that Jon's running 4.10 gears on 16" x 10" rims and 28" tall Hoosier'st. I know he's running 15 x 3.5" Prostars up front, (because he helped me get mine!). Also QA1 shocks on the rear and I believe he's running an aftermarket K member up front with coil overs.

He was going to make an assault on Flamed03's 10.01 Eaton run, but decided a couple of months ago to upgrade to a 2.2KB........

Dwight, think you meant to say Sprayed Daily...not sprayed snake, thats me.:)

Jon's yellow car has...
UPR k member, a-arms and coilovers with 90/10 lakewood struts
MMR rear coilovers with 50/50 lakewood shocks
rear rims are 15" with 28x10.5x15W MT Drags(11.5" slick)

Last edited:

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
The solid rear I'm getting has a 3.90 gear with fully adjustable upper and lowers all solid mounts. Eaton carrier with 31 spline axles. I'm gonna see what I can get out of this set up, so it will probably be the end of this season or beginning of next before I add the nitrous. Is the 10.01 the fastest eaton? I thought someone had gone 9s on one. I may have more of a lofty goal than I thought, but then that's what goals are for I guess.
Sounds like a good SRA setup.....it'll get the job done!

And yes, I believe Flamed03snake's 10.01 is the fastest Eaton time....at least recorded on the internet. I believe if you stick with it, you have a very good chance of running him down. You and 96-98TA both have VERY strong running Cobras. The problem is, once the aggressive Eaton guys start wanting more, most all of them just end up going with the more efficient twin screw to get their numbers. Much, much easier. Sprayed Daily was the last guy I know of that went after him (the yellow 03' above) and he cashed it in a couple of weeks ago and went twin screw.

Heck, the MACA has 13 of the top 24 fastest twin crew/IRS/6 speed Terminators out there and only one of the 13 really pushed the Eaton (FTLBITE ran a 10.99 on an unported Eaton back in 03').

But, to beat Flamed, you're going to have to throw a HEALTHY serving of juice to that ole 4.6!!!!!!!

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Yeah, I was aware of FTLBITE. He had a few more bolt ons than I though. He had full lenth headers, elec. water pump and a smaller upper pulley, but my car is lighter so I guess it equals out. The only way I'll probably switch to a KB or Whipple is if a get some kind of awesome deal like I did on the Steggy. I'm pretty patient, since I'm on a budget. I wanted to get the 10 on the unported eaton, but the deal on the Steggy fell in my lap before I was able to.

Well tell Flamed03 I will be tryin to catch him, but it may take awhile. We'll just have to see. I'm kinda known around this area for extracting every hundredth out of a combo before I give up. Like I said before, this goal may be a little lofty, but I'll try. Oh, and thanks guys for the info.

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
Yeah, I was aware of FTLBITE. He had a few more bolt ons than I though. He had full lenth headers, elec. water pump and a smaller upper pulley, but my car is lighter so I guess it equals out. The only way I'll probably switch to a KB or Whipple is if a get some kind of awesome deal like I did on the Steggy. I'm pretty patient, since I'm on a budget. I wanted to get the 10 on the unported eaton, but the deal on the Steggy fell in my lap before I was able to.

Well tell Flamed03 I will be tryin to catch him, but it may take awhile. We'll just have to see. I'm kinda known around this area for extracting every hundredth out of a combo before I give up. Like I said before, this goal may be a little lofty, but I'll try. Oh, and thanks guys for the info.
Tommy was VERY aggressive with his Eaton setup! Ran a 2.80/6 lb unported combo and everyone thought he was nuts. He was however, running full weight and he drives these cars VERY aggressively. He got a heck of a lot of use out of that origianl engine before it finally said bye bye last fall. Now, he's shooting for 9's like everyone else!

And I'm huge on your attempt to get Flamed03. And hope 94-96 TA goes for him too. Flamed is twin screw right now and with Venemous John and Sprayed Daily both TS as well, you two are the only folks I know of, trying push the ole Eaton.

I've had two MACA folks offer me used new-style 2.2's for less than 2K, (one offer was $1,600!), and I'm just enjoying playing with the Eaton too much. But, I'm not near at the same level as you two.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I'm definately having a blast with this car. Most fun car I've ever owned. 94-96 TA is definately laying down some impressive #s. Hell, I'm just tryin to keep up. Maybe we can meet up some day although I don't know where. You guys are pretty far north. Maybe at a FunFord event or something like that. Someone should put on another cobra shootout with different classes for eatons and twin screws. That would be a blast.

IronTerp

F8LSNAKE said:
I'm definately having a blast with this car. Most fun car I've ever owned. 94-96 TA is definately laying down some impressive #s. Hell, I'm just tryin to keep up. Maybe we can meet up some day although I don't know where. You guys are pretty far north. Maybe at a FunFord event or something like that. Someone should put on another cobra shootout with different classes for eatons and twin screws. That would be a blast.
I'm a part of the MACA and we have over 260 Cobras in the club, 100 or so who are drag racers. We're having 6 track days this year and would love to have any of you come on down/over/up for the events! As our guests! Great bunch of guys, fast bunch of Cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread