Close, but no cigar

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
Yes I run at G-ville alot, its closer to home - but sure like the track prep at SGMP! Guess I might have to take some weight out and see about uping my MPH!!!

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
CantDrv55 said:
More than his tuning is the fact that he is a hella good driver. Driver mod is priceless.

Indeed, that goes without saying bro....:beer:

F8LSNAKE said:
Hissssnsvt, Wow your car launches good. What kind of suspension mods do you have. Your car wouldn't by chance be the one in that street vid that is pullin the tires would it. Very impressive.

Thanks, I know the video your talking about but no thats not my car. I'm running a PA Racing k-member, a-arms, and QA1 coilovers, 14" 175lb front springs with 12-way adjustable struts and 14" 250lb rear springs with 12-way adjustable shocks.

Again, very nice runs and great driving....:rockon:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Thanks, after the ported blower I think I'll be doing some suspension mods next. That way I can maximize the power I'm making. I didn't know QA1 made a rear coilover kit for the irs. I'll definately check into it.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
QA1 doesnt make the rear coilover kit, Autofab race cars here in Maryland makes the kit to work with the QA1 adjustable shocks. Their # is 410-796-8777, talk to Josh...:thumbsup:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Trueblue, I thought Gainsville was supposed to be a really good hooking track. The one time I ran there it was, but that was way back in '90 in the early days of Funford, when Stormin Norman and Gene Deputy were the fast guys running 9s and 10s. I've been to a few races there since, but only to watch.
I've also heard the reason for the good track prep at SGMP is they hired the guy that used to do track prep at Bradenton, which is one of the best. Anyway, let me know when you're going back. I'm usually free on weekends and I like SGMP better than SDR, which is where I usually go. It's only a 30min. ride as opposed to a 1 1/2 hrs. to SGMP.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Hisssn, Yeah, I bought their kit for my old fox body car that I used to have. I liked dealing with them. Seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable bunch. Thanks again.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Anytime...:thumbsup:

Any pics to share of your car with the Welds? What did you have to do to get the 15x10 to fit with the IRS? What BS are they?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I've got some pics, but I'm and idiot with posting. I'll have to see if I can get a friend of mine to help. If you've seen Michael Palugi's car it looks identical to it except for a 26X11.5 et street instead of a 28.
To make them fit you need a grinder and can't be afraid to use it. Had to grind the tierod end and where it mounts. Also had to grind the bolt on the back of the caliper. They are a 15X10 with a 6" backspace. On the front I just run a 1" hubcentric spacer. But they look awsome and I finally have some wheels that nobody else in my area has on a cobra. I had BBS RK plasmas and Saleens before that. Both looked awsome, but kept popping up on other cars around here. + I've always been into drag racing and I always end up with fats and skinnies nomatter what I tell myself.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I hear ya man, I want a new look for next year. Too many guys around here have the welded RT's like mine. My 16" Hoosier slicks work good for me but I'd really like to try a 28x10.5x15 MT Drag next year.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
If you PM me your e-mail I can send you the pics that way. I used to have the welded RTs on my 97 cobra and my friend ended up with the very same wheels on his 04 cobra. Awsome looking wheel, but like you said they started popping up alot. He actually made the 15s fit 1st on the irs. I used him as a guinea pig, so I knew how much to grind. It still took several hrs. of trial fitting and then grinding some more. I bet you'll hook even better with the 28x10.5x15. What gear are u runnin with that tire? By the way, the Steigy is going on today. I just hope the track will be open on Fri. Just depends on the temps. They said if it's in the 40s they won't open.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I started the year with stock 3.55's, ran 10.40's bogging so figured I needed some gear with the 28's. Ran 4.10's most of the year, ran 10.30's on the blower till I got my nitrous working. Then I was running out of gear on the spray, ran 10.0's going thru the traps at 6800, yikes! Just went back to 3.55's and ran a new best on the blower, 10.21, so basically if I had to do it over again, I would of stayed with the stockers or maybe a 3.73. Found out my bogging issue early in the year was simply the wrong suspension/air pressure setup.

I found some pics of cars with the new Welds so no big deal. Man they look nice, just wish I could afford them right now.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I've been considering 3.90 gears, but after seeing what you went through I think I'll hold off and see what mine does with the port and nitrous. Alumastars are a little pricey. I traded my BBS for them and cash, so I don't really have anything in them. My ported blower will be on today, now I just have to get it on the dyno to check the air/fuel. If it's ok I might get to run it Sat.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Got the Steigy on last night and just got back from the dyno this morning. It made 496hp/512tq. This is on a superflow which reads alot lower than a dynojet. The dynojet corrected hp was 525 and I didn't even look at the torque. These #s were with no tuning. Just made the one pull. I'm gonna try to get some runs in tomorrow at SDR if possible. They're having a big North vs. South bracket race so we'll see.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
That's an awsome pic of your car. I hope they have the pic guy out there tomorrow. Sometimes they do on their big braket races. Unfortunately, I will probably be by myself tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get any vids. Unless I get lucky and someone I havn't talked to yet comes with a vid. cam.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Well I finally got to try out the steggy. There were several videos made, but I haven't seen them yet. I will get them posted as soon as I can. Anyway, here are the #s. I never got in a perfect run, but I did finally get my 10.

Run 1-60'-1.63, 330'-4.563, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.135, 1320'[email protected] I missed 4th gear on this run.

Run 2-60'-1.671, 330'-4.664, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.264, 1320'[email protected] I bogged the car on this run

Run 3-60'-1.67, 330'-4.753, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.319, 1320'[email protected] This run I spun through 2nd gear.

Run 4-60'-1.619, 330'-4.63, 660'[email protected], 1000'-9.205, 1320'[email protected] This run the now mysterious hiccup occurred on the 2/3 and 3/4 gear changes. I was supprised it even ran a 10 despite the best 60' of the day. The hiccup usually cost about a tenth everytime it does it.

Anyway, I know it has at least a 10.8 in it the way it sits and I have a solid rear goin in soon. Maybe 10.60s then.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
wow, sweet man. Its crazy that your trap speeds are down a little. How was the weather?

You pull some mid 1.5's and you'll run the 10.8x's all day.

Need vids..

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Excellent!!!!! Congratulations! Running a 10.95 with missing 4th is awesome. And congrats on the 6 second 1/8th. Don't see that too often with an Eaton.

Users who are viewing this thread