Clunk in drive chain FIXED!!!

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Ford replaced my rear end and now there is ZERO play in the drive chain. This dealership also fixed Griffin's clunk. This is the clunk when you either switch gears, let off the gas, cost and press the gas.. clunk clunk clunk. It's completely GONE!!
So you guys that learned how to "drive around it" should get your cobra fixed. It's not normal even though SVT says it is.

FYI. My spun bearing is fixed..! Over 6k later..Thank god for car insurance!!!!

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
are you talking about the thing when you let off the gas and get back on it, the car feels as if the rear end wasnt engaged completely, and then it connects. If so I have that...I thought that was normal?????:??:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Awesome!! My car had a rear end leak and the clunk went away when they fixed the leak!! I didnt even tell them about the leak, but I assume it had to do with someone not being tightened from the factory.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
yep that's it. Have them swap out your rear end under warranty.

All I have left is the vibration at 60mph. Everything else has been
fixed. I'm starting to think it's the tires..

Cobra-Master

Established Member
We had our rear end replaced last week and had the clunking disappear as well.

The drive train is really tight now, much much better!!

pgordon

Established Member
There are 4 ford SVT dealers out here in Vegas. None of them will fix something like this under warranty as they will say it is normal. If it is something obvious like the sqealing TOB (just had it fixed under warranty) no problem, but not sure how many dealers will do anything about the play in the drive train.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
Ford replaced my rear end and now there is ZERO play in the drive chain. This dealership also fixed Griffin's clunk. This is the clunk when you either switch gears, let off the gas, cost and press the gas.. clunk clunk clunk. It's completely GONE!!
So you guys that learned how to "drive around it" should get your cobra fixed. It's not normal even though SVT says it is.

FYI. My spun bearing is fixed..! Over 6k later..Thank god for car insurance!!!!

Could you post or scan in your service report so the rest of us can take that into our dealers and they can see what was done? Thanks a lot, this will help all of us!!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Same here pgordan. Most of the dealers in my area wont fix anything thats wrong with the car. It all depends on how good your dealers service center is. Its good to know that this was done. Yes please scan and post that service report!!!! Thats a great idea! Does anyone have a service report for the pop-tink out of the rear too(from stop to go or stop to reverse) and the TOB problem?

Cobra-Master

Established Member
My TOB was replaced on the same service trip. They also fixed our squealing driver side window.

The reason we got our rear end replaced was because when we released the clutch in 1st gear in stop and go traffic, the whole car would shake and shudder until you built some speed.

I'll look for the service report... I know it said something about the runout (TIR) on the rear end being unacceptable at .007", so rear end was replaced.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Re: Clunk in drive chain FIXED!!!

Originally posted by JPKII
Could you post or scan in your service report so the rest of us can take that into our dealers and they can see what was done? Thanks a lot, this will help all of us!!
Ditto. I have the clunk as well and would like to take some "ammo" with me when I visit my dealer. Thanks in advance!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I have the clunk. It is definetly not normal. Mine does it when switching gears. When you let off the gas and hit it again quick that is normal. But it shouldnt do it from switching gears. I also have a very annoying vibe. I just dont want to bring the car to a dealer. i dont trust them at all. Bob, if you find a trustworthy dealer to look at your clunk let me know. Im not sure where i want to go. Ill drive anywhere

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
I have the clunk. It is definetly not normal. Mine does it when switching gears. When you let off the gas and hit it again quick that is normal. But it shouldnt do it from switching gears. I also have a very annoying vibe. I just dont want to bring the car to a dealer. i dont trust them at all. Bob, if you find a trustworthy dealer to look at your clunk let me know. Im not sure where i want to go. Ill drive anywhere

Well it nice now they have tighter tolerance rear ends and Drive shafts. I had both replaced. Although I had to do all my own indexing for the rear end to get that replaced and then it was the same vibe but differnt speed then they replaced the Drive shaft. It was allot better but still bad.
The tech told me he aligned the yellow dot and it was ready to go. Well it still had the vibe but I had to get it into storage snow was comming. So I didnt get the chance to do all the indexing with the new DS to see if I could pull out the rest of the vibe.

Have you done you indexing yet? It really might be worth the the effort to do it. Because if indexing doesnt do it where else are you going to get a complete pumking and Drive shaft Free.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member

I agree. Can you do this for us please, Killer? Thanks.

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member

This would help alot. I really want to get mine fixed.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I have the "Incline Creak/Pop" and would appreciate any help on getting it fixed. Please post service report, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread