Clunking/popping sound . . . not "The Clunk" =)

FlashSVT

Established Member
So I'm trying to figure this one out.

Since day one, 12miles, my car has made this funny popping/clunking sound when I make turns, especially if the ground is uneven. The sound comes from the rear of the car and seems to be on the driver's side. It's a deep clunk-clunk sound occuring once I'm in a turn. Usually no more than one or two of the pop/clunk. Nothing very loud, but I can hear it. I haven't begun searching for this yet due to some rainy weather.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
I don't have this problem,I meet a guy with an 03 he discribed the same thing.He took me for a ride but could not duplicate it.Find at how you can duplicate it and take it to your dealer.

01blkcovert

Established Member
Originally posted by FlashSVT
So I'm trying to figure this one out.

Since day one, 12miles, my car has made this funny popping/clunking sound when I make turns, especially if the ground is uneven. The sound comes from the rear of the car and seems to be on the driver's side. It's a deep clunk-clunk sound occuring once I'm in a turn. Usually no more than one or two of the pop/clunk. Nothing very loud, but I can hear it. I haven't begun searching for this yet due to some rainy weather.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,
Sounds like the noise(s) I had on my 01 Cobra vert. After eleven trips to the dealer, two appoinments with a Ford engineer and three appoinments with the regional rep, Ford bought back my 01. It seems that the factory welding robots forgot to do their job on the floor, wheel wells and most spot welding from firewall back. It was the body shop that my dealer works with that found the problem by "gutting" the inside of the car. Hope yours is simpler than that. I'm happy with my 03 Though. GOOD LUCK> BTW it happened every time I backed out of my fairly steep driveway, but I could usually recreate the noise driving over small potholes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Hmmm...and I thought I was the only one. Mine has started doing just as you described recently, 3 times to date. Sounds like a popping ball joint.
I really don't know what to do but take it in for a check and keep taking it back and taking it back etc etc etc until something finally comes up.
I'll be sending it for the first time in about 2 weeks. I should have the free time I need by then to do so. The biggest problem I have now is duplicating the noise on demand.

mm49

Established Member
I got it too. In a 2nd run car! When I back out of drive way and go slow over an uneven surface. I get a pop from driverside rear.

I just installed magnaflow system and looked around while I was under there and found nothing.

I think it might be the tie rod needing greased or the top of the shock needs tightened.

Only noticed when going very slow and turning over uneven surface.

:bash: :shrug:

JL

mike69440

Established Member
My clunk sounds like i ran over a 2x4

With all the other issues with my car, this sound is like I ran over a block of wood that came up and wacked the floor board is something I have been ignoring.

It is intermitant and does it when I start off or begin to back up. Has not made noise in a while.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Ditto. I have the 'clunck' as well. I took it to the dealer twice and they claimed that they couldn't find anything wrong.

The second time, they claimed that they couldn't reproduce it. I've scheduled an appt. to take the technition for a ride. I can reproduce it at will...

If anybody has had this problem fixed/diagnosed please keep us with the 'clunk' posted.

Scobra03

Established Member
clunking sound...?

hows everyone,,i have the same clunk? only does it when i back out in in the morning,,my drive way is kinda uneven,,i cant duplicate it any other time?...i looked all over and could not find anyting wrong i consider it part of the beast,,it runs great down the road ..sooooo if any one gets something definite...please let me know..

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Mine does it to. But its tough to predict when it will do it. I already checked the shock mounts, exhaust system, crossmembers, lubed front and rear tie rod ends and removed the trunk side liners to no avail. It doesn't do it often but when it does its when making a turn from or onto an uneven surface. I don't even mention it to the dealership because as it is they called SVT about the slight vibration I'm getting at 80 mph and SVT claims only a few cars do it. So SVT didn't even suggest to order a new driveshaft. Yea right.

sonic77

Established Member
I have the exact same problem. I get a a heavy "pop" or clunk as you describe it whenever going about 5-15 mph while turning. Usually I hear it when going from a flat surface onto an incline or declined surface. I didn't notice the noise until after about 900 miles. I've noticed it occuring a lot more lately.

-brad-

--
Sonic Blue 03 Cobra Coupe (Stock)
--

SVTDAN

Established Member
I have the same cluck or "thud". Sounds like a hollow thud. Almost like someone is under they hitting your gas tank with a chunk of wood.

My noise will happen at low speeds when accerlerating or decelerating moderately.

I forbid to take it into the dealer. I'll only take it in if it gets worst or more frequent. The dealer scratched/cut my steering wheel during prep. They ordered a new one and going to replace it but I have even be procrastinating taking the car in for that.

mtor9477

Established Member
I'm glad I registered on this site cuz I have the SAME problem as well. I took my '03 vert. in for the same reason, and after having the techs put close to 20 miles of test driving on it, they concluded that it was normal "twisting" of the vert.'s softer chassis. Is this happening for your guys' hardtops as well? Same scenario though. Usually happens first thing in the morning when backing out of my somewhat inclined driveway while turning. They said it happens then when one wheel is off the pavement causing the 'twisting'. Either way, this is bullsh*t!!! If anyone gets an honest answer/solution to this problem...that would be great!

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I lubed all of the hood and trunk rubber "bump stops" last night and the popping noise still happens (low speed; entering and exiting ramped driveways).

???????????????????

:??: :??: :??: :??: :??:

Venomous1

Established Member
"I don't even mention it to the dealership because as it is they called SVT about the slight vibration I'm getting at 80 mph and SVT claims only a few cars do it. So SVT didn't even suggest to order a new driveshaft. Yea right."

03 Red Cobra - I have the same situation with mine. SVT told the dealership they could not guarantee that a new DS would fix the problem and therefore, my dealership won't touch it. If you have any luck with yours, let me know how you convinced them! Thanks!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
My right halfshaft is going out and that is the same sound I am hearing. Check your halfshafts!

Users who are viewing this thread