Clunking/popping sound . . . not "The Clunk" =)

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
My right halfshaft is going out and that is the same sound I am hearing. Check your halfshafts!

How can I check the halfshafts? Or do I have to ask the dealer (ugh) to do it?

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
My right halfshaft is going out and that is the same sound I am hearing. Check your halfshafts!

What do you mean by "going out"? What are the symptoms?

Thanks.

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by Venomous1
"I don't even mention it to the dealership because as it is they called SVT about the slight vibration I'm getting at 80 mph and SVT claims only a few cars do it. So SVT didn't even suggest to order a new driveshaft. Yea right."

03 Red Cobra - I have the same situation with mine. SVT told the dealership they could not guarantee that a new DS would fix the problem and therefore, my dealership won't touch it. If you have any luck with yours, let me know how you convinced them! Thanks!

THEY WON'T TOUCH IT?!?! UFB!

What a great deal for Ford! They make a $35,000+ car that either 1) the owners are afraid to bring in for repairs, for fear of the technicians joy riding them, or 2) they just don't bother TRYING to warranty!?

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: My clunk sounds like i ran over a 2x4

Originally posted by mike69440
With all the other issues with my car, this sound is like I ran over a block of wood that came up and wacked the floor board is something I have been ignoring.

It is intermitant and does it when I start off or begin to back up. Has not made noise in a while.
Did you ever get your lack of power issue fixed?

03DOHC

Established Member
Could it be the limited slip popping? Does it do it only on slow tight turns? Mine has done it a few times under those conditions. As long as my diff doesn't shoot out from under my ride I'm not worried. I will be worried if I eventually put aftermarket mufflers on, god forbid, and the diff decides to barf, and the dealer says I race everywhere, even though I only drive to and from work, therefore my warranty is voided.:rollseyes

Are you listening Mr. Coletti? Can you say BS?

TorchRedGT

Established Member
Hey Guys, if any of my Magnaflow Group Buy customers are in here, thanks...it was a pleasure doing business with you and if you haven't already, you should have your system by the end of the week or early next week. Now, the real issue....just though I'd let you all know that this problem may not only pertain to the Cobra or the IRS. I have the exact same issue with my 02 GT and it was at the dealer today for 8 hours and the technician can reproduce it every time, but can't find it. I have to bring it back tomorro and let them have another crack at it. Just thought I'd pass that along so you folks didn't think it was a "Cobra" issue only....

:shrug:

I'll be sure to pass along any info I find out. I can be a real demanding SOB and I hate them guys anyway.

FlashSVT

Established Member
Keep us posted . . .

C'mon, Anyone else with this problem?

I'm going to drive with my trunk open once it stops raining to verify for certain that it is not the truck lid or stops. I've already lubed them up and it still does it; I just want to be 100%.

It sounds like it is coming from a lower location. For the most part, it's always driver's side rear. Always slow turns, most common on incline/decline.

TorchRedGT

Established Member
We'll I just got off the phone with them. I was told that they unmounted and remounted the Trans (5sp) and found it to be loose. They've assured me that the problem is gone and I can pick up the car at any time. My symptoms were exactly like the ones listed in this post. A thud/clunk/pop from under the vehicle. Sometimes seemed like it was in front, other times couldn't tell where the hell it was coming from. Seemed like a broken ball joint or a possibly a braking problem. At one point I Thought it could have been the differential. This would happen backing out of the driveway in the morning. Car rolling backward and press the brake pedal and then the pop. Sometimes it would happen rolling forward also....very similar symptoms to what is posted here. Hope this helps somebody.

Tony:)

FlashSVT

Established Member
I drove aroud with the trunk open and it still happens.
Someone mentioned it might be the sway bar bushings.

sonic77

Established Member
I did the same thing. Drove around the neighborhood with the trunk open for awhile. The popping is still there.

-brad-

--
03 Cobra
(stock)
--

TorchRedGT

Established Member
:rolling:
Well, the problem is fixed. If you've been following this post, you are familiar with the symptoms of this issue. I tested it over and over last night and cannot duplicate the problem. They claim to have remounted the transmission that was somehow loose. That is a wacky problem but for those of you that like to roll around under your cars, you might get out a persuader bar and try prying up on the T56 to see if there is some movement there. Otherwise, I suggest you get down to your dealer and throw a tantrum at the service desk. Show those bastards no mercy!!! One last thing, I'm sure that there is a few cars out there that have this thing with the deck lid, but for those of you that have this problem you know that the cluck/pop is coming from the bottom as if a 2X4 was banging on the lower control arms or front sway bar....that's what it felt like to me most of the time.

FlashSVT

Established Member
TorchRedGT, I think your problem is different. The noise I hear is from the back of the car, in most cases, from the driver's side. It's more of a "pop" sound.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by TorchRedGT
AHHHH, yes, mine was more of a clunk than a pop.
No offense but the Cobra has a IRS which is way more complicated then a live axle. I already checked the trans. bolts and crossmember and they are all tight.

TorchRedGT

Established Member
well gee, thanks for pointing that out to me. Would you like to tell me what IRS stands for next? I was just passing it along for your information as it seems like no one in the forum has the answer at this time. Was hoping it might help, that's all.

:)

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
well gee, thanks for pointing that out to me. Would you like to tell me what IRS stands for next? I was just passing it along for your information as it seems like no one in the forum has the answer at this time. Was hoping it might help, that's all.

Ok people, calm down.
My clunk definately eminates from the rear of the car and I was able to duplicate it on demand twice this afternoon. It sounds exactly as you describe a loose bolt letting two metal parts rub together would sound like, but I can't think of anything in the rear of the car that would pop like that.
We'll have to wait and see what happens at the track this weekend.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member

No big deal. IRS= Independant Rear Suspension

Users who are viewing this thread