Clunking/popping sound . . . not "The Clunk" =)

Cobro

Banned
It’s not just a 03 thing folks.

The clunk/popping noise heard up front when backing up and or turning…….more noticeable in the morning, happens on my 96 and have heard the same from other’s.

I read somewhere that it could be a spring load bind when they are cold :shrug:

Last edited:

akaeric

Established Member
It could be the diff. locker in the rearend while you are on uneven
ground it makes your locker work because one wheel has to spin faster than the other more drasticly than on flat ground. Some are loader than others like the one in my f-350 you hear it backing up.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
My dealer won't check my "pop" because I've lowered my car and voided the suspension warranty. I think the 2 are unrelated, and the dealer is wrong. Since I don't have the time/desire to fight Ford about it, "pop" removal further tilts me towards a solid axel.
TSB #6

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Re: the pop noise.....from rear

Originally posted by junglehyped
Ive had this problem since day one with my car ,ive been back and forth to the dealer about the problem,the last time i took it in i finally got an answer from my mechanic who had spoke to someone at svt about the problem,my click popping noise would happen when i came to a stop and then started accelerating again it would pop from one of the wheel well areas, I was told it was something in the caliper and the brake pad clearances had something to do with it,never got a real answer totally just that svt was not intending to do anything unless alot of people complained about it they said some cars do it and some dont but it does not affect the integrity of anything?oh well looks like until people start making a big deal about it im not going to get it fixed akkkkk damn that noise is irratating!!!!

I think your discribing the POP/TINK sound. It seems people are getting the POP/Tink confused with just the pop. Thepop/tink is when you are at a stop, and go and when you go, your here a pop/tink sound fromthe rear. From what I understand,its worn axel splines. The POP is a loud thud or pop when going up an incline, ususally on an angle (say turning into a gas station from a main road, but going up the aprin on an angle, not strait in). No one, that I know of so far, has come up with a solution to this problem. Taking mine in on monday for both sounds, as well as a bad TOB.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
I spoke wit MATT at 1800svt yesterday for about 15 min on the issues with my car.
He stated the clunk is normal, he couldnt say wether or not the pop was, told me to take it to another dealer since mine locally dosent even know ho wto wipe theri as$.{my comment, not his}
Matt said that their is a clunk during accel/decel and other various driving points due to driveline lash, we have alot of points in the driveline of our cars that hve some "play". I think its $hitty myself.
I believe him, but for 30+k, we should all be driving cars with better quality.
I also asked him about the valvetrain tick, he said it was a NVH issue {noise,vibratiuon,harmonics} or something like that, and they dont fix it unless it breaks.
will bet you mine breaks in the dealer parking lot at 35,999 miles.
I guarantee it.
Also, I wrote on the list my concerns when I turned my car in for service, and wrote who I had spoken to @ SVT. My service mis-manager said SVT stated I never called.
I also asked him about if he put my issues in oasis, he said they only do that on what they repair, not what we have concerns with. what a crock, they should put down any issue I have with the car, how can they keep track of them if they dont.
Lin

robbcwz

Established Member
Originally posted by orange2004cobra
Matt said that their is a clunk during accel/decel and other various driving points due to driveline lash, we have alot of points in the driveline of our cars that hve some "play". I think its $hitty myself.
I believe him, but for 30+k, we should all be driving cars with better quality. Lin

Jaguar had similiar problems with their IRS (may still do, too). Just disassembling and regreasing the splines would solve it for a few days, but the final factory fix was to apply Loctite to the splines on reassembly - and it worked well. Whether it was "durable" enough to fill in the subtle machining differences or it worked in some other weird way .... who knows, but it worked. Wonder if it might be worth a try on the Cobra?

The only time I get any transmission "clunk" on mine (2004 - 6,000 mls) is in traffic when chugging along in first at 800 to 1000 rpm and sometimes it begins "bucking" and clunking.

eddy z

Established Member
i too have the tink/pop at slow take offs in first gear. someimtes in R.. and a slow roll in first. had this since day one. brought it to a delaership.. they retained all IRS bolts and hubs. still had the sound. time to bring it back as i am sure they will take apart the whole rear end and go from there..

question? can the worng 12mm bolts be the issue? meaning, if replaced with the 14mm, would the tink/pop go away? any one have the tink/pop prior to switching out to the 14mm, and the sound went away with the 12mm discard?

need to fix this sound as this is not right.

nj7703

Established Member
Not sure if this helps, but i got this info on a TSB.
t30905~us~en~file=t30905.pdf~gen~ref_0001.jpg

t30905~us~en~file=t30905.pdf~gen~ref_0002.jpg

t30905~us~en~file=t30905.pdf~gen~ref_0003.jpg

Last edited:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
OK.. Th Clunking... TSB 0395.. Retorques a lot of crap in the rear susp.

This did not fix my issue but after a few more days it got a lot worse. Then a week of dealing with it till my appt. I made a right turn and there was a loud clunk and the issue is now gone. Go figure. Not sure if i am happy or worried that it is gone. Time will tell..

The Vidration has a SSM #17248.. replaces the driveshaft with part #2R3J-4602-AA

Eric

Bebo

I have this POPPING on the driver side rear too. The dealership looked at it at least for two weeks or more & kept giving me the car back saying it was fixed NOT! so I called SVT & FORD. The service Rrep. from FORD came down & told me that the Fox5 body style was not made for IRS? I said just fix it! It still has not been fixed because now FORD said it is a INHERITED CARICTURISTIC? And will no longer address this problem of popping in the rear driver side. I am going thew arbertration now with FORD. On the stupid side, does this mean I parked it too close to my other Mustangs this is how it was INHERITED?
BOB

xsvtcmex

Established Member
heh bebo, just to let you know ,this thread is very old . last post was 04-02-2004. but anyway I have the same clunking noise and ford said that they have to retact all the welds in the rear.

JamesPhipps

The REAL problems is that there is some excess spatter or weld left over from the robots on the subframe where the sway bar hooks up to the subframe . THIS IS THE FIX DESPITE ALL OTHER B.S. I know because I told for at Dearborn to find the fix or buy it back and I went through 2 dealers to find this out and it has fixed for good and whoever mention turning into a gas station was correct about getting the pop to occur if anyone has questions p.m. me and I will give all info to you Also I have told SVT about the fix and they took the info however no give me s were given for the info see if I tell them of any fixes to save them $$$$$$$$ anymore .Jim PM if you want your car fixed for good!!!!

03MUSTANGCOBRA

CLUNK/POP NOISE

I HAVE A 2003 COBRA AND I AM HAVING THE SAME CLUNK/POP NOISE. I HAVE BEEN TO THE DEALER FOR ABOUT SIX TIMES AND THEY HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY HAVE CHANGED THE DRIVESHAFT, RIGHT AXLE, SWAY BAR LINKS, UPPER CONTROL ARMS, AND THEY HAVE ALSO TORQUED THE IRS BOLTS FOUR TIMES. I HAD TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF NOISES ONE WOULD BE A POP/CLUNK NOISE WHEN YOU WOULD MAKE A RIGHT TURN ON UNEVEN PAVENTS AND ALSO BACKING OR PULLING INTO STEEP DRIVEWAYS. THEY HAVE BROUGHT OUT AN ENGINEER FROM FORD TO FIX THE PROBLEM WHICH NEVER GOT FIXED BECAUSE HE THOUGHT IT WAS FROM THE GAS TANK.

SO PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS THIS PROBLEM REPLY BACK AND HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

redsvtcobra

Established Member
Printable View (105 KB)
Article No.
03-9-5 SUSPENSION - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS
NOISE - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS

Publication Date: April 29, 2003

FORD: 1999-2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles may exhibit a "popping" type noise while turning into or out of an incline, such as turning into a driveway, at low speeds (below 15 mph (25 km/h). The steeper the incline the more noticeable the noise will be. This may be caused by the lateral movement of the stabilizer bar or one or more of the fasteners shown in Figures 1-3, that may not be tightened within the required torque specifications.

ACTION:
Inspect and torque all of the fasteners listed for the proper torque. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION
Raise vehicle on hoist and verify torque at the following components and locations:

Stabilizer bar bracket bolts (both sides) (Figure 1) - 42.8 ± 3.7 Lb-ft. (58 ± 5 N-m)
Stabilizer bar collar bolts (both sides) (Figure 1) - 6.6 ± 1.0 Lb-ft. (9 ± 1.4 N-m)
Lower shock bolts (both sides) (Figure 2) - 98.1 ± 14.8 Lb-ft. (133 ± 20 N-m)
Upper control arm bushing bolts (both sides) (Figure 3) - 66.4 ± 10.0 Lb-ft. (90 ± 13.5 N-m)
Stabilizer bar link bolts (both sides) (Figure 3) - 35.0 ± 5.3 Lb-ft. (47.5 ± 7.2 N-m)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES:
304000, 305000, 390000, 702000, 702200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company

bones

Established Member
I had the same problem. Slow right turn up an incline...pop. Dealer not only retorqued the suspension bolts but also replaced the left axle . I remember a thread that mentioned this regarding the pop. When the axle was inspected the splines were almost completely worn.

xsvtcmex

Established Member
I just posted a thread regarding this clunk/pop sound.here it goes again. dealer said that they have to re weld certain points in the rear end and that retorqing the bolts in the rear is not going to correct the problem. he said that two of the spots were completly worn from rubbing against some part of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread