Clutch Cable Snapped

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
I was on my way to our local car meet that takes places every Friday night and my clutch cable popped. Luckily I wasn't on the highway and thank goodness for the towing coverage included in my insurance.
I had a steeda adjustable clutch cable with a UPR triple hook quadrant and quick click firewall adjuster. Last January when I changed my clutch I decided why not upgrade everything else.
My question is: Can I use an OEM cable with the current setup or do I have to get an adjustable cable?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You shouldn't use anything but an OEM cable. All the aftermarket cables are junk - it's been brought up here more times than can be counted...

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've broken 3 aftermarket cables on my 2 mustangs over the past 18Yrs and always end up with the OEM cables back in there. If a firewall adjuster is in there you can usually take up the slack with it. I do always keep a spare cable with the spare tire. Need to make sure cable isn't rubbing the quadrant as you move clutch. Driven home once with no clutch, shut it off at light, put it in gear and use starter to get it rolling, upshift without clutch lol. Towing is last option for me.

Last edited:

JJB03COBRA

Established Member
Cable from MM is on backorder. I'm going back stock. Will the stock cable work with the triple hook quad. and quick click adjuster?

89slowgt331

Established Member
yes the oe cable will work great, that is basically what the MM is. install it on the hook farthest from the firewall for proper geometry and a smooth pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread