Clutch making rattling noise

Orange Poison

Established Member
Ok fellas...I performed a search on clutches and couldn't find resolution to my problem.....but here goes.

Got exactly 1,000 miles on the clock.

When I come to a stop and let my foot off the clutch...at times my clutch will start to rattle...:shrug:

Now my clutch always had a slight vibration but never really bad, and this now noticeable rattle doesn't do it all the time, and when it happens I can stop it with my foot. It's just annoying and embarrassing if someone is in the car.

Would a simple clutch adjustment to the trick?

Anything to worry about?

Thanks for your help,

Tony

cobra808

Established Member
I got the same rattle. Guessing it's a heavy duty trans that's built for power and not luxury. Will wait and see. Got about 800 miles.:read:

03DOHC

Established Member
Hmm. When you push down slightly to make the noise stop do you feel the pedal rise up and down like it's pulsating?

CaliCobra

Established Member
Not sure if this is your first manual transmission car, but you dont have anything to worry about at this point.

What your hearing is the throwout (clutch release) bearing rattle when it is not under a load. It is free to move around a bit when not under load of the pressure place springs. Its more of a rare thing for a manual not to have at least some of that, you just have to really pay attention in some cars.

You only have to worry if you hear it when you do push the clutch in. Until then, you're golden.

Drive it like you stole it and all that kind of stuff :thumbsup:

Orange Poison

Established Member
Hmm. When you push down slightly to make the noise stop do you feel the pedal rise up and down like it's pulsating?

Yes....at times....It does pulsate, and I think the word pulsate better describes than does vibrate. The pulsating is not that bad...it's weird, sometimes at a light I'll reach down and touch my clutch with my hand and it pulsates....other times it doesn't:shrug:

I never usually downshift to 2nd gear, so I usually let out of 3rd gear into neutral and when I start to brake and right before I come to a stop and at a stop I'll hear the rattle. It really sounds like a loose clutch pedal with too much play:??:

Last edited:

Orange Poison

Established Member
What your hearing is the throwout (clutch release) bearing rattle when it is not under a load. It is free to move around a bit when not under load of the pressure place springs. Its more of a rare thing for a manual not to have at least some of that, you just have to really pay attention in some cars.

Ok, cool I feel better.

Silver 03 Cobra

It could possibly be what has happened to a few people on this board me included. If it is enough to embarras you then it must be pretty bad. It could possibly be a broken throw out bearing retainer. It will start out as a little rattle and pulsing in the pedal until it comes to a very loud popping noise. If it gets progressively worse, I think that may be your problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by CaliCobra

I had the same problem with a '94 Z28 I once had. It was annoying at times, but something I just had to learn to live with. Isn't it funny how we car nuts seem to hear every noise and feel every vibration in our cars? Does that make us "normal" or "abnormal"?
:burnout:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Got the same thing, posted about it awhile back. Mine clunks like that too only after I have been driving say 100 miles or so, even after I engage the clutch and even if its 1mm not fully pressed in makes a whackball ass sound and pulsates...But only after it is super hot I think...Must just have more space to wobble or something after its hot??!?!? Dunnoo :)

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I had the same problem, it was fixed by the dealer doing something to the clutch cable. I have sense had TOB issues (now on the third clutch, third TOB, and second flywheel, that is another story). But the clutch peddle no longer rattles. Bring it to the dealer they can fix it.

Orange Poison

Established Member
03ShadowCobra,

Yeah....I'm hoping they dealer can fix it and not be a big ordeal. I'm taking it in this Saturday morning for my 1000 mile oil change and to check my clutch pedal.

Tony

MT2003

Established Member
Mine does the same thing - car in neutral, coasting up to a stoplight, foot lightly on the brake - then the clutch pedal starts to vibrate very rapidly. Also, my throw-out bearing is making the "cricket chirp".

Needless to say my dealer has a new clutch assembly, throw-out bearing, and flywheel on order for me now.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I have this problem...I crank my car, because it is stored for the winter....it makes a pulsating noise and a little bit-o-squeak, I can depress the pedal just slightly and it stops, sometimes when I am driving it pulsates, I just push it in and out until it stops, almost like there is slack in something and it reajusts when i push the pedal in and out...as soon as the snow goes I am going to the dealer.

julio

Established Member
There is a TSB for this concern, your Ford dealer should be able to repair this...

julio

Established Member
Redhot, A TSB is a technical service bulletin, I cant remember the number, but the dealer can do a search on oasis to find it. See ya:)

390 pony

I have the same problem and it is at the dealership getting a new throwout bearing,clutch and preasure plate installed.

CaliCobra

Established Member
You know how most things are relative and there is a range that these can fall in.

I would venture to say that many that have been replaced where done so due to the dealer wanting to be nice about it combined with the fact that they get $$$$ from Ford to do it.

As someone pointed out, it depends on how bad it really is or if its perceptoin. A dealer trip will at least put you mind at ease. But make sure they do it only if they have to rather than to make a few buck of a warrenty claim. I have had many cars screwed up by dealers, so avoid as much work as possible.

A broken bearing retainer is not so common, and many times you feel it in the clutch pedal as it travels as a grinding or pop, so your probably OK there.

If you really want to hear some bad clutch noise (that is normal), you should check out a 6sp C5 vette. They make a hell of a racket and sound like marbles in a can when you shut the motor off.

Its all relative....

Good luck:)

Orange Poison

Established Member
Thanks Cali, for the insight.

The last thing I wanna do is leave my car at the dealership for more than one day. I am fanatical about this car....I mean FANATICAL.

So, you're right, I don't want them touching my if they don't have to. Listening to all the guys above, and don't get me wrong....I appreciate EVERYONE'S advice. But It got me paranoid and I'm thinking right off the bat that my car is going to be there for a week.

My problem doesn't seem bad at all, it only pulsates at times and its not bad and sometimes it will ratttle. But there is no noise during clutch travel.

I will let you all know what the dealer says on Saturday.

Tony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread