Cobra makes a squeeking noise when I push the clutch pedal in

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i got it on. there was a certain way to put it on. took me awhile to figure it out

got the new bearing in (1 year warranty). transmission bolted in, hand tight.
gotta borrow a torque wrench tomorrow. then finish the rest. driveshaft. already hooked the clutch cable up and plugs.

does the driveshaft have to be in if i wanted to crank the car up (after torqing the transmission bolts) just to make sure the squeeking went away?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I don't know how you have the car lifted or anything, so just to make sure everything is ok, put the driveshaft in and you can just put a couple bolts finger tight to hold it to the diff.

What about your exhaust?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
got it all fixed.

i ended up using a BCA tob from oriely's (40.99) and valvoline dexron III (19.00). the tob has a 1 year warranty. i didnt want the ford racing one because it had no warranty. i'm a big warranty nut. used loctite on the driveshaft bolts.

first time i ever did a tob. next time i'll know what to do and knock it out in a day or less.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Warranty or not, I go with what I know works. Your money and decision though. Glad you got it done. And it will be interesting if you have to warranty it. The TOB is a normal wear item and based on how the clutch is adjusted, can easily prematurely wear out. Which is all on you, not the part. good luck with everything and keep us posted on how that TOB holds up

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
a real small squeek came back today. thought it was my rear passenger shock because i mainly heard it when i ran over a bump. but then i noticed when i pushed my clutch in, the noise stopped. should i stick some greese on my fingers and try to lube the bearing? any advice? its not a steady squeek. its mainly when i hit bumps.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
My haynes manual says to lube the face of the TOB. I don't think this is a good idea and have heard several other here that say not to do this.

The other big debate, is whether the TOB should be adjusted to maintain constant contact with the PP springs, or for it to back off when the clutch pedal is released.

I understand that from the factory, they were set up to be in constant contact. This theory seems to suggest that the bearing would wear more if it had to stop/start every time the clutch was pushed in.

The more traditional method is for the TOB to back off slightly when released, which would allow the TOB to stop spinning. The aftermarket spring kits are designed to pull the fork back preventing the TOB from rubbing on the springs.

For me the jury is still out on this decision. I see both sides. I have yet to see a comprehensive study on which method works best long term.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
My haynes manual says to lube the face of the TOB. I don't think this is a good idea and have heard several other here that say not to do this.

The other big debate, is whether the TOB should be adjusted to maintain constant contact with the PP springs, or for it to back off when the clutch pedal is released.

I understand that from the factory, they were set up to be in constant contact. This theory seems to suggest that the bearing would wear more if it had to stop/start every time the clutch was pushed in.

The more traditional method is for the TOB to back off slightly when released, which would allow the TOB to stop spinning. The aftermarket spring kits are designed to pull the fork back preventing the TOB from rubbing on the springs.

For me the jury is still out on this decision. I see both sides. I have yet to see a comprehensive study on which method works best long term.
You are right, it is a big debate. Personally, I leave a little gap, just enough to keep the TOB from spinning all the time. If my TOB lasts as long as my clutch I'll consider it a success. In the past, I have found that constantly spinning TOBs have worn out long before my pressure plate. On my 98, the TOB was adjusted with a gap, but I sold it for the 03 before the clutch required changing.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
how do i put lube on the bearing through the dust cover? put lube on a ruler and stick it in there? how much? just on the outter face of it? what kind of lube?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The only lube I'm aware of is a light coat on the TOB Retaining Sleeve to help the TOB slide back and forth. I'd use a high temp silicone lube (I get mine from NAPA) and only a very thin coat.

Nothing should be on the face of the TOB (where it contacts the pressure plate). IMO, that would potentially get thrown into the P/P and get on the disk. Also, since you want the TOB to turn at the same speed as the pressure plate, I'd think that lube at that point would work against that and allow the TOB to turn at a different speed which would cause some wear on the P/P fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread