Cobra R sho brakes

Ghost93

Established Member
So I purchased the 2000 cobra R brakes for my sho, and they fit on the car great, but Im having serious trouble finding a fwd rim that has the right caliper clearance. Any suggestions on what kind of rim might fit over this beast?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, those are the only ones I've ever seen with the Cobra brakes.
Ghost:You said Cobra R brakes, so I think you need an 18" wheel for the big caliper. In that case, good luck. I'd try Tirerack to see who makes an 18" wheel.
Anyone here ever do the 13" Cobra brake upgrade? I have an extra set of front rotors and stock Cobra calipers are fairly cheap, so I've always thought about doing it.
What's involved in getting these to work, just bolt on the calipers and rotor? different mounts?
-J
ps--I have a '94 MTX moonlight blue/grey leather

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its been done more than a few times, and most guys use the TBird SVT wheel IIRC.....

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ryan, any idea on the specifics of the swap? Can you still buy these wheels new? -J

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Team Dynamics makes many, very good looking wheels that fit the SHO in 18" persuasion.

My 17" MAK wheels fit right over the 13" Baer Brake calipers with a bit of room to spare.

Ghost93

Established Member
For the 13" inch brake swap what you need is 94-95 front knuckles, they have the same caliper mount as a mustang cobra. I have the pbr 13" brakes, I just thought i would give the brembo brakes a try.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Ghost, but what are the knuckles? Maybe I'm not thinking right but do you mean spindles?
Anyway, I have a 94 SHO that needs new calipers anyway. I already have 13" front rotors from my Cobra, so I've tossed around the idea of buying Cobra calipers instead to do the upgrade---I think they're relatively cheap.
I'm not big into SHO mods, but what else do I need exactly: Cobra/PBR calipers, 13" front rotors, and ???
BTW...my mom has the 17" SVT wheels on her '99 Taurus and said she would let me use them if I bought her new 16" tires for her stockers. It would piss my dad off, but oh well.
Thanks, J

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I don't know the specifics ghost, you might try over at SHOforum, or Chris can probably help you out better. I only did the 96 upgrade on my 93..

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you're running the 13" rotor with the Brembo 2000 "R" caliper you will need a 17" wheel minimum. These brakes will clear the 17" wheels. I have just gone to 17" wheels on my "R".

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yes, you will need a 17" wheel or bigger, the caliper wont clear the slicers.

Your questions have really already been answered

Ghost93

Established Member
The big problem im having is the width of those brembo calipers. They are a full inch wider than the pbr calipers. Im going to get a few different sized spacers and see what I cant make work with the 17s i have

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ghost93 said:
The big problem im having is the width of those brembo calipers. They are a full inch wider than the pbr calipers. Im going to get a few different sized spacers and see what I cant make work with the 17s i have

Try to get a spacer that still allows the hub of the wheel to locate on the bearing hub. :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that what they mean by 'hubcentric'? Always heard that term with spacers, but never knew exactly what was meant by it. -J

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
biminiLX said:
Is that what they mean by 'hubcentric'? Always heard that term with spacers, but never knew exactly what was meant by it. -J

Yes, that is correct. A hub should locate the wheel and the lugs nuts actually just prevent it from coming off. The locating of the wheel on the hub is very important.

Once you get past 3/16" thickness you will likely need a hub-centric spacer that locates the hub to the wheel with a hub of its own (to locate the wheel) that locates on the spindle hub.

On my "R" I can run a 3/16" front spacer and still have the wheel locating on the hub. On the rear I have to use a hub-centric spacer.

I did the ('96) brake upgrade to my '89 SHO and I can lock up the front tires if I'm not careful. I can't imagine how much braking you're going to get with those Brembos? I hope you're running big sticky tires?!?!?

Good Luck. Post some pics when you get them. I'm sure lots of us would like to see them?!?

Merry Christmas

Ghost93

Established Member
I put them on the car last night. They bolted to the spindle perfectly, but when it came time to put the wheels on it wasnt even close. With the rim touching the caliper i could fit my fingers in between the rim and rotor. And with my 40 mm offset, that kind of spacer is going to make the wheels stick out like a sore thumb. So Im just going to sell them and use the pbr calipers instead. It was worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread