Cobra to be unveiled at New York Auto Show

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
:pepper: Yes my friends! According to Thai-Tang, the next SVT Cobra will be unveiled at the New York Auto Show from March 25th to April 3rd! :pepper:

With no cars currently on the market, there’ve been plenty of rumors working their way through the industry grapevine about the future of Ford Motor Co.’s high-performance SVT unit. But “reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated,” the head of the brand-within-a-brand told TheCarConnection.com, lifting a turn-of-phrase from Mark Twain. “We’d hate to give up on the brand equity we’ve established over the last ten years,” insisted Hau Thai-Tang, the new boss of SVT, who until recently led the development of the new, retro-styled Mustang. An SVT version of the Mustang will be unveiled at the upcoming New York Auto Show, said Thai-Tang, and though he wouldn’t confirm production plans, sources told TCC it’s a bit more than a year away. Several other possible SVT models are under consideration, with an emphasis on adding a more mainstream product, such as a high-performance Fusion sedan.SVT’s current hiatus was not due to problems with the unit, Thai-Tang insisted, but simply the result of limited resources being shifted to the development of the Ford GT supercar.

Going forward, SVT intends to return to its roots, the Vietnamese-born executive explained during an exclusive interview. It will focus on building high-performance, limited-volume products with “substance” and value. But rather than putting a premium on off-the-line acceleration, future SVT models will likely strive to have broader appeal, much like the vehicles sold by European high-performance brands, such as BMW’s M line. That means they’ll have to handle and stop as well as they launch at a light, said Thai-Tang. Do not expect an SVT version of every Ford division product, sources report, though it is possible SVT may eventually lend its name to products sold by other Ford Motor Co. divisions.

Link to the Article:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7904

f e r

Last edited:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
oh hell yeah. :rockon:

maybe it will be the BOSS and not the Cobra. You think they would have said "Cobra"

69hahaha

Established Member
Does anyone know if the Mach will come back or if they're going to go with a Boss instead? I know that's probably a hard one to answer, what with all the diff. models they could go with.

putawaywet

Established Member
Matt-'00GT said:
Note how they are not calling it the Cobra... just "SVT". Interesting.

My gut says this plays out one of 2 ways....

This backs up the rumors that the Cobra name will not be used on the next gen car, and/or as some have speculated could very well be transferred back to whatever Shelby has in the works with Ford.

Or...

He's not talking about the Cobra as we are thinking of it and the car that will be unveiled will be one of the SE's like mentioned above.

Either way, after reading that article I'm getting the feeling that SVT is going to be doing things a little differently than they have in the past. That little voice in the back of my mind is telling me we might just see a few more variations of this new platform than we have in the past with some very dicernable differences between them. As for what they will be called and at what price... well that remains to be seen.

Brett

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
putawaywet said:
My gut says this plays out one of 2 ways....

This backs up the rumors that the Cobra name will not be used on the next gen car, and/or as some have speculated could very well be transferred back to whatever Shelby has in the works with Ford.

Or...

He's not talking about the Cobra as we are thinking of it and the car that will be unveiled will be one of the SE's like mentioned above.

Either way, after reading that article I'm getting the feeling that SVT is going to be doing things a little differently than they have in the past. That little voice in the back of my mind is telling me we might just see a few more variations of this new platform than we have in the past with some very dicernable differences between them. As for what they will be called and at what price... well that remains to be seen.

Brett

It could be called the SVT Horseshit for all I care, as long as it's fast.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
See? I have been saying this for months! This spring!
I'm VERY EXCITED!!!

Yes, T-Bolt.....I don't care what they call it either!!! :pepper: :banana: :lol: :p :bowdown:

Hey.....how come there is no emoticon for an orgasm?!? I think I just had one...

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
Caroll Shelby is pretty freakin old. maybe they want to get his stang out asap. Ya think it would see production b4 a Cobra though?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
This is AWESOME!!! I can't wait!! Looks like I'll be traveling to NYC!! :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
if its there...i will have pics up that night..im gonna go during the wek sometime when it comes... :rockon:

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I am definately going to show and now this is making it even more exciting. I went last year with some buddies and had a blast. We got drunk on the train ride from stamford and just had a grand ole time.

Vince Vaughn

can't wait to see

I'll be there with a digi cam and will take pics.

The following quote scares me a bit,

rather than putting a premium on off-the-line acceleration, future SVT models will likely strive to have broader appeal, much like the vehicles sold by European high-performance brands, such as BMW’s M line

This sounds like the SVT will go more in a Saleen-type direction, i.e., more suspension/handing/body mods as opposed to add'l power.

I expect two verions of the Mustang, one by that old bird Shelby and another by SVT. Perhaps Ford is saving the really power bump for the Shelby version?

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
03TRMN8R said:
Attn: New Yorkers attending this show, Please take pics of this Cobra for the love of God!!

I will have a ton of pics, so long as I can make it through the crowd. :-D

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
In private interviews HTT has said they have considered boss, bullitt, GT series, twister specials, california specials, mach, etc etc. These guys are apt to try just about anything. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread