Comp cams quality

DallasBoss

Established Member
Can any of you who use Comp cams comment on their quality and any issues you may have had. I'm thinking about going with stage 3's with a CJ intake and having AED tune it. I have learned that Comp has bad quality control, but when tuned properly, will make great power with great driveability.

Black5slow

Established Member
Can any of you who use Comp cams comment on their quality and any issues you may have had. I'm thinking about going with stage 3's with a CJ intake and having AED tune it. I have learned that Comp has bad quality control, but when tuned properly, will make great power with great driveability.

I have stage 3 comps tuned by Adam at Revolution Automotive car drives perfect no issues at all and i have had them on for almost 20k. One of the best mods ive done.

DallasBoss

Established Member
I have stage 3 comps tuned by Adam at Revolution Automotive car drives perfect no issues at all and i have had them on for almost 20k. One of the best mods ive done.

I'm seeing several stout stage 3 setups when tuned by both AED and Rev Auto. 500+ whp with great driveability sounds very enticing

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I should be back to Texas around the middle of September and that's when I hope to be able to report back on the cams.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
with any cam really, you should check the cam out first, one of my intake cams would have been 5+ degrees off if they had just assumed it to be correct and installed it

twistedneck

Established Member
Comp cams are not bad at all.. they are top quality and used in $100,000 race engines. The issues with quality some are seeing are rare - metallurgical / alloy issues are super rare.

The big benefit from using the CJ cams over the comp cams is long term durability. the ford lobes are engineered for 10yrs / 150k miles. they are also tubular and less than half of the weight of a billet machined cam.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
What is the average cost to have cams installed..??

10-15hr job, So whatever shops in your area charge per hour. $1000-1200 is a good price really, $1800+ and i would look elsewhere for the job as they are overcharging in my mind. Also remember you will need another tune after the cams are done soooo... Cams and Tune should be in the $1500-1900 range depending on E85 vs Pump tunes.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Anyone install cams themselves?? How difficult is it?? Just trying to save a little cash when I go to do it.. I do have medium ability in mechanics, but I have never installed cams.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
My Comp Cams came back from the cam doctor, TSS said they were exactly as the cam spec card said. So this is one perfect pair LOL!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The comp cams are generally +/- 1 degree within specs of the cam card, another great option is the MMR cams, we can custom tailor them exactly to your needs and cost is the same with increases in power being another benefit. Let us know we can help!

MMR
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com

Users who are viewing this thread