Compressing rear colipers

Fast Willy

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm not sure the exact name for the tool but I'm looking for the tool that allows me to compress and twist the rear piston in. I never understood why they didn't make these like all the others so I can just use a regular c clamp but without this tool its pretty much a pain. So I figured if I can find one cheap enough I'll pick one up.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Anytime! I figured the $ spent is well worth having it when I need it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Any auto parts store will let you rent it for free.

The rear brake pistons twist in so that the emergency brake works with fluid loss.

97snakebite

Established Member
For the rear I bought the tool thats just the head. Works with a ratchet .. as for the fronts I just used a C clamp while leaving the piston side pad on

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Fast Willy

Established Member
Believe it or not my local auto parts store didn't have one to rent. I'm sure I can find out at another store but just figured I'd pick one up if they aren't very expensive as I'll probably be changing pads fairly frequently with auto cross and track days in my future.

keith89

Established Member
you can use needle nose plyers and do the same thing

+1 I use needle nose pliers. Just be careful of the piston seals. you're really just screwing them back in, not pressing them in. Put your effort into screwing them clockwise and they'll retract themselves. They may be hard to turn at first but once they start moving, it'll be a little easier. Just remember the slots in the pistons need to be at the 12/6 positions in the caliper when you're done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread