Con's of ownership

Rock20

Established Member
So i'm always reading threads with mostly positive aspects of owning a Shelby. I'm interested to hear what you guys think are any of the negatives. I am asking because this winter i'm going to bite the bullet on either another CTS-V or an 11-12 Shelby. I bought a 11 V Coupe a year ago and hated the Auto so this time around it will definitely be a Manual Sedan if i can find one. Aside from the Auto the brakes squealed incessantly which was a little embarrassing at times but other than that I loved the V.

Also anyone who has driven/owned both would love to hear your comparisons.

Thanks

Jon

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Cost, gas, will get scratches if driven, will depreciate, will go thru tires rather quickly on the rear, will tempt you to mod it.....

DGladhill

Established Member
I get surprisingly good gas mileage if I drive nicely, 16-18 city and 22-24 highway in my '07. Tires will only go quickly if you're constantly burning them, I'm at ~13k miles on the original goodyears and they've still got plenty of life.

But the majority of cars depreciate as soon as they leave the lot :poke:

Rock20

Established Member
I get surprisingly good gas mileage if I drive nicely, 16-18 city and 22-24 highway in my '07. Tires will only go quickly if you're constantly burning them, I'm at ~13k miles on the original goodyears and they've still got plenty of life.

lol right i'm not to worried about depreciation or gas mileage. Just curious about any quirky issues people have outside of the 1-2 grind. Do any of you who daily drive find an issue with it? I've got a 50 mile round trip commute 4 days a week so it will see a fair amount of action. I may keep my current GT as the beater on snowy days like i did with my V so not too worried about that.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
1. To the untrained eye...it's just another Mustang.
2. Cops will notice you more than the average car.
3. Limited traction.
4. Too heavy to toss in corners easily compared to other cars in it's price range.

Rock20

Established Member
That you didn't buy one sooner.
That you didn't buy a 13 / 14.
That roads have speed limits.

I wish I had the coin for one.. Trying to keep the budget right around 40K. I get tempted to say F it all and get a used 13 lol. Wife would likely kick me out if i came home in one.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
1. Most will know your in a Shelby and people will...um..."try you" see what it can do, more often than not.

2.The interior of the V is much nicer. It is a Caddy afterall, but the Shelby's is not bad.

3. Mustang ride is nice, but the V is better on the maggie.

Thats about it. A good friend of mines has a V that is modded. A 11. He wish he would have gotten a automatic...lol Nice car, but he's getting rid of it. Says its a gas guzzler, also he is slightly upset that even after mods, he never came CLOSE to taking out Roxxy.

I think you will enjoy a 11~12 Shelby. It will truly be cheaper to mod, and the results will be highly satisfying.

Rock20

Established Member
1. Most will know your in a Shelby and people will...um..."try you" see what it can do, more often than not.

2.The interior of the V is much nicer. It is a Caddy afterall, but the Shelby's is not bad.

3. Mustang ride is nice, but the V is better on the maggie.

Thats about it. A good friend of mines has a V that is modded. A 11. He wish he would have gotten a automatic...lol Nice car, but he's getting rid of it. Says its a gas guzzler, also he is slightly upset that even after mods, he never came CLOSE to taking out Roxxy.

I think you will enjoy a 11~12 Shelby. It will truly be cheaper to mod, and the results will be highly satisfying.

That's funny he wants the auto. The remote start was cool to play with here or there but I just missed rowing my own gears. To the point that I almost enjoyed driving my turd of a 06 GT more. Crazy i know. It did suck on gas too. It was terrible even when I wasn't getting on it. Reinforced my choice to not even consider a SRT8 Grand Cherokee. I can only imagine how horrible that thing is.

Well thank's for all of the replies guys definitely added a few things for me to consider.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
- With all of the suspension mods to gain traction, the car got a little bumpy.
- You've got to be careful once you put nice wheels on the car too. It's one thing to curb a stock wheel, it'll ruin your month if you curb a nice aftermarket wheel.
- Scratches and general concern for the well being of the car when you're out with it.

nxhappy

Established Member
I dunno just seems like the cts-v is a grocery getter. women see it and they think "oh that's a cute car" .

women see a GT500 and they think "oh I wanna slob on ur knob" :lol:

...............................:dancenana::thumbsup:

Tmatt142

Established Member
Big bro had a V sedan, now owns a Shelby... Why, real simple. When we talked about our experiences with the new gen "muscle" cars he summed up the V as "A couch that goes REALLY fast!" The Shelby is more "raw." You have to drive it with your thinking/respect cap on or it'll take you for a ride. Not that the V is docile, just so damn comfy cozy that it doesn't give you any type of muscle car experience. It's quiet, costs a ton to mod compared to a Shelby. The Shelby screams in yer face and lets you know it means business.
Not bagging on the V at all. It's one bad ass looking Cadi that is not to be messed with. I just wanted the Shelby because it requires my utmost attention at all times.....and it still puts a smile on my face!

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

Good god I am getting like 10 avg but that is 100% city, and yes, the V is a complete monster that feels like it is riding on a cloud + luxury all around. Constantly hits 3.9-4.0 when I drive it.

marc1

Established Member
I'm interested to hear what you guys think are any of the negatives.

My usage is for vacations, day trips and back up for my daily driver. I get excellent gas mileage and the car is very fun to drive. Negatives for my usage type are:

1) No spare tire - not an issue so far and I have only had 2 flats in my entire driving life (32+ years) but I am still nervous on a vacation far from home thinking about a flat and hoping the tire goo / air pump will work.

2) Tires again - Tire choices are very limited. So much so that I am worried about the long term availability. My next set of tires will be the AS3's but how long will they be in production in the weird sizes?

3) The car is a handful to drive, make no mistake it is fun, handles like it is on rails and I love it... but you can never relax, you certainly can never release the steering wheel from a firm grip, I have to grip the steering wheel continually or the car will wander / track any grooves. This is due to the wide front tire. So on all day marathon drives I am a bit more worn out than a normal car.

4) Passenger seat reclines... but the angle is not comfortable, again on long drives taking turns resting etc. it is not comfortable in the passenger seat. Driving etc. sitting upright is great... reclined, not so great. I pulled over for a quick nap once and the same issue in the driver seat reclined.

These negatives are obviously going to raise eyebrows ("you bought a Shelby for road trips and you can't take a nap boo hoo?") but I think the car is the ultimate road / vacation car and as I said I love it, but these are my negatives nevertheless.

breoland

Established Member
That must be a BPS TVS with a WOT box and some other goodies, I love the sound and launch of that car awesome GT500.

It's a frpp Tvs with a Cnc LM plenum
No wot box in that pass bit I installed on this past June and all the bolt ons

Users who are viewing this thread