Considering a Mach 1...Tough Choice

Emoney81

Established Member
Hey guys I'm looking to replace my 96 Z28 383 stroker. I was having issues with it after the build and decided to let it go. I traded my co-worker for his 97 Cobra with exhaust mods and CAI. It's a decent car, but I feel like its under powered. I feel like a stock LT1/LS1 would soundly beat me. So now I think I want to replace the Cobra. I saw a good deal on an 02 WS6 6spd. I've always wanted a Trans Am, but I've always had an eye for a Mach 1 and wanted to see what the blue oval had to offer. I'd like to hear from you guys about the car. What are the pros/cons about it?

TRMach1

Established Member
I think you should go for it, i bought mine this April with 33k miles for $13k i already put 12k miles on it :eek: but thats because I drive mine everyday not like its previous owner who made it a garage queen. I get tons of compliments all the time seriously like at every gas station or every store i stop at, everyone loves the shaker hood. Hm, i dont think there is anything that i dont like about it.

Emoney81

Established Member
I think you should go for it, i bought mine this April with 33k miles for $13k i already put 12k miles on it :eek: but thats because I drive mine everyday not like its previous owner who made it a garage queen. I get tons of compliments all the time seriously like at every gas station or every store i stop at, everyone loves the shaker hood. Hm, i dont think there is anything that i dont like about it.

Cool. Do you plan an doing any mods to it? I'm brand new on the Ford scene, but it seems like with the mod motors that you can do much to them other than bolt ons. After that it's straight to a supercharger. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to be able to build the motor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

JDUB348

Established Member
Op I'm not hating on Machs but if you already are going to spend around 13k for a mach, why not throw that little extra in and buy the best bang for the buck.. a terminator? They already come forged and super charged from the factory. Simple pulley swap and your around 450rwhp for as low as $17,000k

Imo any one considering a 99-04 mustang should only consider a 03/04 cobra.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

The Mongoose

Established Member
OP, unless you plan on supercharging that Mach 1, I wouldn't do it. Like someone else already said, if you want a Mustang, either get a Terminator or look for a Mach 1 or possibly a 99/01 Cobra that has already been supercharged. If you're planning on buying a Mach 1 and leaving it pretty much stock, then just go for the 02 WS6. I have on that has headers, full exhaust and lid and it runs like a raped ape. I, like you, am coming to the Blue Oval side, but I'm trading my WS6 for a Novi 2000, stage 2 cams 1999 Cobra that has the Terminator engine, trans and ECU. Good luck whichever way you go.

Emoney81

Established Member
Op I'm not hating on Machs but if you already are going to spend around 13k for a mach, why not throw that little extra in and buy the best bang for the buck.. a terminator? They already come forged and super charged from the factory. Simple pulley swap and your around 450rwhp for as low as $17,000k

Imo any one considering a 99-04 mustang should only consider a 03/04 cobra.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I never said I'd spend 13k for a Mach. I found one for about 10k. Surely a Terminator can't be had for that. If had it to spend then it would be no question.

Emoney81

Established Member
OP, unless you plan on supercharging that Mach 1, I wouldn't do it. Like someone else already said, if you want a Mustang, either get a Terminator or look for a Mach 1 or possibly a 99/01 Cobra that has already been supercharged. If you're planning on buying a Mach 1 and leaving it pretty much stock, then just go for the 02 WS6. I have on that has headers, full exhaust and lid and it runs like a raped ape. I, like you, am coming to the Blue Oval side, but I'm trading my WS6 for a Novi 2000, stage 2 cams 1999 Cobra that has the Terminator engine, trans and ECU. Good luck whichever way you go.

Oh I'm fully aware of the potential of the LS motor. And thats why I'm leaning towards the WS6. I like the idea of building a N/A motor capable of 400+rwhp. But like I said earlier, Mach 1s have always caught my eye and I just wanted to know what it was about. I'm not to thrill about my 97 Cobra and wanted to see if the Mach was an upgrade.

The Mongoose

Established Member
Oh I'm fully aware of the potential of the LS motor. And thats why I'm leaning towards the WS6. I like the idea of building a N/A motor capable of 400+rwhp. But like I said earlier, Mach 1s have always caught my eye and I just wanted to know what it was about. I'm not to thrill about my 97 Cobra and wanted to see if the Mach was an upgrade.

I'm just not sure you won't be dissapointed with the Mach 1's performance, like you are with the 97 Cobra. It all comes down to if you're buying the Mach 1 for; style or power. I think the Mach 1's look great, but lack in power. You can find 03/04 Cobras for around the $17 to $18k range. Then, you get the best of both worlds; great looks and power.

Or, buy the WS6. What could you get it for?

Emoney81

Established Member
I'm just not sure you won't be dissapointed with the Mach 1's performance, like you are with the 97 Cobra. It all comes down to if you're buying the Mach 1 for; style or power. I think the Mach 1's look great, but lack in power. You can find 03/04 Cobras for around the $17 to $18k range. Then, you get the best of both worlds; great looks and power.

Or, buy the WS6. What could you get it for?

I like looks, but it's gotta back it up with power. I think you may be right though. The WS6 I saw was right at 10k, but stock though.

The Mongoose

Established Member
I like looks, but it's gotta back it up with power. I think you may be right though. The WS6 I saw was right at 10k, but stock though.

If both the Mach 1 and WS6 are the same price, then I would go with the WS6. Throw on some long tubes, full exhaust, lid, and a cam upgrade and you're looking at over 400 rwph (depending on the size of cam, possibly around 420-430 rwhp). You could do all those upgrades for pretty cheap if you search around and install everything youself.

If you want to spend a little more, you can find good buys on Mach 1's or Cobra's that have already been supercharged and making great power.

TRMach1

Established Member
Cool. Do you plan an doing any mods to it? I'm brand new on the Ford scene, but it seems like with the mod motors that you can do much to them other than bolt ons. After that it's straight to a supercharger. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to be able to build the motor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well nvm a con would be that it would be nice if it had more power but im not disappointed with it. Raced a new camaro and i came on top with just catback, frpp drive shaft and mgw short throw. I personally did not want to get a cobra because honestly its hard to find one that has not been beat on. People say get one because it can produce a ton of power for little money and etc but yeah i want a car that has not been treated bad or has a ton of miles, to find a low mile cobra thats stock here in florida you have to put down at least $20k for that money ill just buy me a 2011+ 5.0. I needed a reliable car that i was going to drive everyday so a cobra was out of the question, no im not saying that cobras are not reliable but everyone knows that like 99% of cobras have been beat like crap. I personally dont like the looks of fbodies so i didnt even consider them even though they do tend to be a little cheaper and make more power. I personally want to do an eaton swap(because i love the whine) and just leave it at that, i have seen some go for sale for less than $1k with all the parts.

The Mongoose

Established Member
Well nvm a con would be that it would be nice if it had more power but im not disappointed with it. Raced a new camaro and i came on top with just catback, frpp drive shaft and mgw short throw. I personally did not want to get a cobra because honestly its hard to find one that has not been beat on. People say get one because it can produce a ton of power for little money and etc but yeah i want a car that has not been treated bad or has a ton of miles, to find a low mile cobra thats stock here in florida you have to put down at least $20k for that money ill just buy me a 2011+ 5.0. I needed a reliable car that i was going to drive everyday so a cobra was out of the question, no im not saying that cobras are not reliable but everyone knows that like 99% of cobras have been beat like crap. I personally dont like the looks of fbodies so i didnt even consider them even though they do tend to be a little cheaper and make more power. I personally want to do an eaton swap(because i love the whine) and just leave it at that, i have seen some go for sale for less than $1k with all the parts.

Was this "new Camaro" you raced a V6? :lol:

TRMach1

Established Member
Was this "new Camaro" you raced a V6? :lol:

:lol: nope unless the owner put ss badges on it, put some exhaust that made it sound exactly like a v8 and lied to me himself that it was a v8. Guess the dealer lied to him and sold him a clone ss, guess no one knows what a v8 Camaro is but you. :shrug:

The Mongoose

Established Member
:lol: nope unless the owner put ss badges on it, put some exhaust that made it sound exactly like a v8 and lied to me himself that it was a v8. Guess the dealer lied to him and sold him a clone ss, guess no one knows what a v8 Camaro is but you. :shrug:

There's now way your bolt on Mach 1 beat a new SS Camaro. A Camaro SS makes 426 hp and 420 tq, while your bolt on Mach 1 maybe makes 350 hp and 320 tq. I don't think any of you Mach 1 buddies will even believe that one, but nice try.:poke:

Last edited:

TRMach1

Established Member
There's now way your bolt on Mach 1 beat a new SS Camaro. A Camaro SS makes 426 hp and 420 tq, while your bolt on Mach 1 maybe makes 350 hp and 320 tq. I don't think any of you Mach 1 buddies will even believe that one, but nice try.:poke:

Lol nice try at what? I'm not here to prove anything I can care less if you believe me or not. But you are right I wasn't in my mach and this guy was not in his Camaro he was driving a corolla and I was driving a civic. Lol um it's very possible because it happened and I was there, did I say I whopped a Camaro no I didn't I barely pulled away from it for all I know it could have been an automatic with the l99 which comes with 400hp something that you obviously don't know about which also weighs a significant amount more than my mach and the auto Camaro also makes similar times as the mach. You clearly never heard of an l99.:poke:

The Mongoose

Established Member
Lol nice try at what? I'm not here to prove anything I can care less if you believe me or not. But you are right I wasn't in my mach and this guy was not in his Camaro he was driving a corolla and I was driving a civic. Lol um it's very possible because it happened and I was there, did I say I whopped a Camaro no I didn't I barely pulled away from it for all I know it could have been an automatic with the l99 which comes with 400hp something that you obviously don't know about which also weighs a significant amount more than my mach and the auto Camaro also makes similar times as the mach. You clearly never heard of an l99.:poke:

I've probably forgot more about LS engines than you will ever know. Even if he did have a L99, he must have been half asleep or not trying all that hard.

TRMach1

Established Member
I've probably forgot more about LS engines than you will ever know. Even if he did have a L99, he must have been half asleep or not trying all that hard.

Lol okay whatever you say, lol he was a better sport about it than you, someone's butt hurt :poke: but it's cool like I said I can care less, it happened I didn't get it on video because I was in my car alone but it happened and my mach won and we both exchanged thumbs up complimented each others cars, and said good race.

sdg97232

Established Member
Lol the new camaro and ws6's (stockish) are easily beatable by a well drivin mild bolt on mach iv done it enough to know. If i had to choose between the mach and ws6 for the same money id have to ask myself "what would i want from the car". If its a nice sexy street cruiser that runs very well with just gears and sticky tires then its the mach but if pure bolt-on power is what im after then its the ws6. Just my two cents coming from a mach and terminator owner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread