Considering a Mach 1...Tough Choice

The Mongoose

Established Member
Lol okay whatever you say, lol he was a better sport about it than you, someone's butt hurt :poke: but it's cool like I said I can care less, it happened I didn't get it on video because I was in my car alone but it happened and my mach won and we both exchanged thumbs up complimented each others cars, and said good race.

Ok, I guess it's not out of the relm of possibilities that you did win. I'm not trying to bash you or Mach 1's because I actually do think they are pretty cool cars and I like their styling. Does your Mach 1 have stock gears?

TRMach1

Established Member
Ok, I guess it's not out of the relm of possibilities that you did win. I'm not trying to bash you or Mach 1's because I actually do think they are pretty cool cars and I like their styling. Does your Mach 1 have stock gears?

I assume that it still has the 355's since the previous owner never mentioned anything about putting different gears in it.

Emoney81

Established Member
If it came down to a mach and ws6.. I'd choose the mach any day. WS6's are ugly as hell

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Looks are subjective. I like the way both cars look, but I really started the thread to talk about the performance of a Mach 1 and is it worth it to buy one over a WS6.

Emoney81

Established Member
Lol the new camaro and ws6's (stockish) are easily beatable by a well drivin mild bolt on mach iv done it enough to know. If i had to choose between the mach and ws6 for the same money id have to ask myself "what would i want from the car". If its a nice sexy street cruiser that runs very well with just gears and sticky tires then its the mach but if pure bolt-on power is what im after then its the ws6. Just my two cents coming from a mach and terminator owner.

Much appreciated insight from a Mach 1/Terminator owner. I think your correct on that. I think that since price isn't the deciding factor here, I feel the WS6 wins. I think there's just more to be had between bolt ons and the ability to build the motor. And if I'm feeling froggy I'll throw a supercharger on the bird...

Emoney81

Established Member
Ok people, lets just hypothetically say I did choose the Mach over the WS6, would it be better than just keeping my Cobra? I mean the horsepower in the Cobra is right there with the Mach although the Torque numbers are a bit off. Bolt on for bolt on shouldn't they run about the same?

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
Op I'm not hating on Machs but if you already are going to spend around 13k for a mach, why not throw that little extra in and buy the best bang for the buck.. a terminator? They already come forged and super charged from the factory. Simple pulley swap and your around 450rwhp for as low as $17,000k

Imo any one considering a 99-04 mustang should only consider a 03/04 cobra.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

do this. end of story unless you really like the mach 1s

i originally wanted a mach1 but then went after a terminator. paid 16,700 for it 85,000 miles 25k on mmr short block 15k on the rebuilt rear.

pulley tuned exhaust intake. to most of you its not fast but its a rocket for someone whos been riding around in a h/c/i fox 01 cobra and 03 gt

SuperTorched

Established Member
I own a terminator and my brother owns a mach 1. I do like the shaker hood and the cool idea if it being a mach 1 but I would never buy one especially since I own a cobra. If you are considering a mach 1, get a cobra. Even if you like the shaker and all that, I would still get the cobra. If you like power, get a cobra. Get a Cobra!! You will not regret it! :beer:

Marvin97

Established Member
Ok people, lets just hypothetically say I did choose the Mach over the WS6, would it be better than just keeping my Cobra? I mean the horsepower in the Cobra is right there with the Mach although the Torque numbers are a bit off. Bolt on for bolt on shouldn't they run about the same?

Negative. The mach is a much better platform all together. Better engine, better chassis and suspension. Better interior, better styling. Just better. For what its worth, I have a friend with an Azure Blue Mach that has been 12.7 with just a sss catback, MGW shifter and a set of MT et streets. I personally think the 03-04 cobra's are over-rated

SuperTorched

Established Member
Negative. The mach is a much better platform all together. Better engine, better chassis and suspension. Better interior, better styling. Just better. For what its worth, I have a friend with an Azure Blue Mach that has been 12.7 with just a sss catback, MGW shifter and a set of MT et streets. I personally think the 03-04 cobra's are over-rated

Have you ever been in a 03-04 Cobra? Just curious if your opinion is based off of experience or just what you read. I've had an 07 gt and I would never take that over my cobra. My father owns a 2008 gt500 and I have driven that a few times and I still think the cobra holds it own pretty well compared to that. This is just my experience though.

Edit: Both my cobra and the 2008 gt500 are stock power wise.. for now :beer:

Last edited:

Emoney81

Established Member
I own a terminator and my brother owns a mach 1. I do like the shaker hood and the cool idea if it being a mach 1 but I would never buy one especially since I own a cobra. If you are considering a mach 1, get a cobra. Even if you like the shaker and all that, I would still get the cobra. If you like power, get a cobra. Get a Cobra!! You will not regret it! :beer:

Lol, I hear ya man. Unfortunately, a Cobra isn't in the budget, cuz if it were I'd do it in a heart beat.

Emoney81

Established Member

Wow, overrated? How so? I don't think I ever heard anyone say that. Not even some f-body guys would say that. Surely it's better than a Mach 1.

sdg97232

Established Member

Stock for stock and bolt-on for bolt-on a mach will walk away from an sn95 cobra the sn's b heads just dont flow like the mach's c heads. When my old azure 04 was stock it would pull away from my buddies intake and exhaust 96 cobra. Sounds to me youre just an fbody kinda guy witch is cool i think you would be happy with the ws6.

Emoney81

Established Member
Stock for stock and bolt-on for bolt-on a mach will walk away from an sn95 cobra the sn's b heads just dont flow like the mach's c heads. When my old azure 04 was stock it would pull away from my buddies intake and exhaust 96 cobra. Sounds to me youre just an fbody kinda guy witch is cool i think you would be happy with the ws6.

You may be right. My first muscle car was my Camaro and I enjoyed the power as well as modding it. I'm not oppose to a Mustang (I have one now), I kinda wanted to hear from the Mustang crowd what it's like to own a Mach 1.

sdg97232

Established Member
Wow, overrated? How so? I don't think I ever heard anyone say that. Not even some f-body guys would say that. Surely it's better than a Mach 1.

I wouldnt say the cobra is better per say the cobra has more potential from the factory but again it comes down to what you want from the car. For me the mach is my dd so the t56 and irs went into my mach makes for a nice cruiser and a built solid and auto went into the cobra for my drag toy. From the factory the mach is lighter with the aluminum block and solid axle but it has weaker engine internals however it will hold up to some boost with proper care and a 450 rwhp cobra wants no part of a 450 rwhp mach.

sdg97232

Established Member
You may be right. My first muscle car was my Camaro and I enjoyed the power as well as modding it. I'm not oppose to a Mustang (I have one now), I kinda wanted to hear from the Mustang crowd what it's like to own a Mach 1.

Machs are super fun to own and drive most non mustang ppl dont know what they are and iv had tons of ppl come up to me at gas stations and ask questions about it. Plus they get mistaken for a regular gt by the non knowing all the time.. ......big mistake.......iv had so many ppl ask "whats done to your 2v" after i blow by them lol then i say not much just some bolt-ons lol. Thats the part i like most about machs most wont even dare look at my terminator lol the mach gets wayyyy more action on the street!

Last edited:

shadowmach

Shadowmach
Established Member

just do some back round on the machs, know they have the famous head problem, look for a 04 mach as im pretty sure they have the revised heads, most 03's have the blue stripe painted on the drivers head, mine did i found out when i tore it down, 7 & 8 heads have a cooling problem. i dropped a valve seat, and decided to blow a bunch of money since its all apart now haha:rolling: id pick a mach any day catless x pipe an magnapacks are on a 4v motor are honestly the best sounding muscle car ive ever heard thats streetable, theyre quick and if your able to do mods yourself throw some 97 cobra cams in there cai, exhaust, tuner, 350hp should be achievable,
id personally try to find one thats forged, wish i new of svtp when i bought my car, instead of buying it from sketchy craigslist.
cant go wrong with a mach

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
everyone has a boner for terminators and forgot about the mach. they're cool cars, solid axle so you dont have to worry about wheel hop, strong trans, look awesome and much cheaper than a cobra. high compression motors that run great with some boost. intake, exhaust and some 4.10/4.30's you can run low 12's. theyre fun cars, underestimated by a lot and a good platform. i love mine and wouldnt get rid of it for a cobra coup. its so much lighter and i can just throw pistons and rods in it and be good to go for much more boost.

Maustang

Established Member
What's the cost of supercharging these cars? Labor+parts...

I have about $2200 in parts and tune for my eaton swap.
I installed it myself so as far as labor goes I don't have the slightest clue.
Its an easy job to do Its the best "bolt on" ever.

Just my opinion, I was looking at a ws6 before I bought my mach 1.
I like the looks of them but the interior sucks.
That is the same with any f-bodies I've been in.

Before the eaton swap I used to run with in .10 second with a 01 ss camaro.
I don't know what mods he had at the time all I had was gears and exhaust.
On stock tires.

If I were to do it again I would get the mach but not wast my time on bolt-ons and just go straight for the eaton swap. Its easy,cheap, and by the time you do intake, exhaust, gears you'll have almost enough to do the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread