Considering Trade - Looking for Advice

san6279

Established Member
I bought my 2012 (silver, stripe delete, elec pkg, PP, recaros) for a tad under invoice in June. Now has 2300 miles on it. Put about 100 miles/wk on it as it is my DD. Now am considering a trade to a 2013, which my dealer has stated they would order/sell at or very near MSRP. Obviously I am leary of the hit I will take on the 2012, and am looking for any and all advice (timing, process, 2014?, anything) on how to go about this to minimize the hit.

Best scenario I can think of (another forum member did same thing) is to find someone who is willing to purchase privately, but wait for "delivery" until my new car comes in...and to do a pass through with the dealer (if they are willing) so my taxes are greatly reduced. That may be a long shot and could be risky (they could pull out?), I'm not sure.

My only assumption at this point is that my car is depreciating faster than the 2013 prices are going down, so if I am going to pull the trigger the sooner the better. Correct?

Appreciate any advice members here are willing to provide.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
how much money are you willing to lose is the only question.

also I don't understand this deal pass though thing you are talking about? why would the dealer be involved in your private party sale?

san6279

Established Member
how much money are you willing to lose is the only question.

also I don't understand this deal pass though thing you are talking about? why would the dealer be involved in your private party sale?

I'd like to keep the hit to around $4-5K. So, for example, if I bought for $52K I'd need to sell for $48K. No dealer is going to give me $48K on a strict trade-in.

My understanding on the dealer pass through is that while I am selling to a private party, on the dealer paperwork it looks like a trade in so I 1) get a better price for the sale of my car and 2) only pay taxes on the delta between 2012 car price and 2013 car price. Just found out about this process yesterday and don't have all the details yet. Maybe they actually sell the car to the private party as part of the process.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
No one is going to pay $48k private party for that car- not that it's not a nice car. It's just that you could buy a new 2012 GT500 a few months ago for that price.

I think you could get $45k maybe $46k tops for it.

As for trade in...maybe $41k.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Also- not many dealers will agree to that deal- because they are "selling" the car and are responsible for it..ie: 30 day safety warranty etc.

It's also pseudo-tax fraud

san6279

Established Member
No one is going to pay $48k private party for that car- not that it's not a nice car. It's just that you could buy a new 2012 GT500 a few months ago for that price.

I think you could get $45k maybe $46k tops for it.

As for trade in...maybe $41k.

Thanks for the info. That helps.

So, assuming the delta between private and trade is around $4K, then there is really no difference between a trade in and private sale...because I save almost as much in taxes during the trade in.

The estimated hit is more like $10K.

Last edited:

san6279

Established Member
Also- not many dealers will agree to that deal- because they are "selling" the car and are responsible for it..ie: 30 day safety warranty etc.

It's also pseudo-tax fraud

Yeah, again, I just learned about the process so was not aware. I imagine laws differ by state, but your assessment does make sense.

rwboring

Established Member
also keep in mind that the base price is about 55,000 with delivery.

so 41,000 trade in is a 14k difference for the "base model" and depending on your taxes it could be 1k in tax difference

that's a lot of money to lose options...

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
How about my assumption that sooner is better than later? Understand it may just be an educated guess, but any thoughts?

Well yea- anything will deprecate further...the '11 and '12s are SOFT right now.

If you paid around $50k for your '12 and want a similar 2013 you'll probably lose $5k or so if you sell on your own.

And will have to come up with $63k-ish to get a similarly optioned car.

Unless you have alot of disposable income- I would stick with your 12 and mod it.

san6279

Established Member
also keep in mind that the base price is about 55,000 with delivery.

so 41,000 trade in is a 14k difference for the "base model" and depending on your taxes it could be 1k in tax difference

that's a lot of money to lose options...

Yes, and to make matters worse I'd be looking at ~$62 with the options I want.

san6279

Established Member
Well yea- anything will deprecate further...the '11 and '12s are SOFT right now.

If you paid around $50k for your '12 and want a similar 2013 you'll probably lose $5k or so if you sell on your own.

And will have to come up with $63k-ish to get a similarly optioned car.

Unless you have alot of disposable income- I would stick with your 12 and mod it.

Sound advice. If the '15 changes were not on the horizon, would not even be considering this.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Honestly I would keep the 12'. Do the front grille conversion, rear fascia, slap a TVS with a good tune and your done.

san6279

Established Member
Honestly I would keep the 12'. Do the front grille conversion, rear fascia, slap a TVS with a good tune and your done.

I hate you AND your '13. No, just kidding. Those are all very good ideas. Wonder if Ford will come out with a TVS tune. Would like to keep my warranty.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I hate you AND your '13. No, just kidding. Those are all very good ideas. Wonder if Ford will come out with a TVS tune. Would like to keep my warranty.

Order the FRPP tvs an calibrater through ford racing...have it installed by a Ford Dealer...still under warranty

Users who are viewing this thread