Constant debit card fraud

Troponin

Established Member
So my wife just got a call from the bank today to verify some transactions. iTunes hit her for 10 transactions of $106. A few weeks ago, my card was nailed with 8 transactions of $350 in Kenya. A few months before that, the bank cut off my card because I was out of town and using it out of state and they never called to verify the transactions, instead, just cut me off. My card was cut off several months before that for more fraud.

So, this makes two times for my wife, and I am up to 4 total, 3 of which were fraud, 1 of which was just the bank going gung-ho and cutting off the card a little too quickly.

So, how the hell do we go about pin pointing this issue? My wife and I don't share computers or emails, I have scanned my PC and my email, and, we both make sure to never open links from our email accounts because of the potential for a virus or malicious software to be activated. So where do we go from here? It's really starting to interrupt our lives because we have to do between 1-2 weeks without a card, and, until the bank clears the transactions and are done their investigation, we are technically out thousands of dollars.

Would love some guidance here.
Thanks

truefiveo

Established Member
Man its so common these days....luckily my bank has always been on it like white on rice.

Also you gotta remember scanners on the sides of ATM's and gas pumps are indeed real!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Backup your files and wipe your comluter/s. With that many occurrences in a short period, I would lay odds you've got a key logging piece of malware infesting your system.

Also watch your gas station purchases as noted above. Swipe fraud in many cases is more common than issues with online transactions.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, way too common unfortunately. Ah, the good old days when cash was king. No credit cards. No worries about spam/viruses/malware/scanners. You only had to worry about your wallet being stolen. So many conveniences we are blessed with, but at the same they so many new opportunities for thieves and bad guys.

My wife has had her credit card info stolen too many times. The last time it happened, we provided the credit card company with the U.S. address the thief used to ship item to. To no surprise, they didn't want it. It's not worth their time/expense to pursue the thieves. That's another problem because those very thieves know they won't be pursued and prosecuted. They simply buy more credit card numbers and go at it again.

Troponin

Established Member
Backup your files and wipe your comluter/s. With that many occurrences in a short period, I would lay odds you've got a key logging piece of malware infesting your system.

Also watch your gas station purchases as noted above. Swipe fraud in many cases is more common than issues with online transactions.

My computer was just wiped before this last one that got me. In fact, it was a fresh computer build from scratch, so all new hardware and a fresh windows install. I didn't install any files from my old PC on to this one specifically for the reason of safety.

Same card number for tranactions?

I'm assuming someone got your card number and sold it online to multiple people.

Cancel and get new card number.

The bank shuts down the cards and issues a new card when this happens. Each time it happened, it was on the new card.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
There are so many security breaches going on currently it would be nearly impossible to pin point it without more info.

could be:

Malware / virus
IRS got a shit load of info hacked
any place you enter your CC online and stores it for a later date (tons of companies getting hacked; think about all the companies who don't even know they've gotten their whole database comprimised)
gas station / atm scanners that steal info

Last edited:

YJSONLY

Established Member
Wife works for a bank. It happens a lot.

One of the biggest things is to not use debit. Always use credit. Always!

Troponin

Established Member
Wife works for a bank. It happens a lot.

Funny you mention that. Our bank just changed their policies and REQUIRE we now use PINs and debits at a majority of businesses. It will decline it if we attempt to use it as a CC. At one time, that was how you stopped theft of a card, however, in recent years, even using a PIN seems to be easily defeated and stolen.

These last two incidences happened after their policy change too. Go figure...

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I'd start by looking at common places both of you use your cards. Make a list and then start using cash there. Slowly start using one of your new cards over a period of time. Once you get hacked, you have at least narrowed it down.

I would look at gas pumps without the saftey sticker, favorite restaurants you both pay at, etc. Gonna have to keep narrowing it down. It's gonna suck.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Funny you mention that. Our bank just changed their policies and REQUIRE we now use PINs and debits at a majority of businesses. It will decline it if we attempt to use it as a CC. At one time, that was how you stopped theft of a card, however, in recent years, even using a PIN seems to be easily defeated and stolen.

These last two incidences happened after their policy change too. Go figure...

First I have seen this. What bank do you use?

oldmodman

Established Member
There is only one perfect, but inconvenient solution.

Cancel all credit cards. Cancel all debit cards. Link NOTHING to your bank account.

Buy a refillable credit card. Deposit money (in very small amounts) to it as necessary.

Since it is a credit card you are protected from theft.

And if you are REALLY PARANOID (like me) don't refill it from a bank account with a lot of money in it.

I refill it from a saving account with no more money in it than I intend to transfer. I put money in the savings account just before I transfer it. And I do not link the saving and main checking account at the bank.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
1-2 weeks? Your bank is pathetic! I had my debit card physically stolen in Paris. I called my bank, Charles Schwab at like 9pm Paris time, so maybe 4pm in the states. This was a monday. They told me 3 days to process the new card(tuesday, wednesday, thursday) and it will be mailed out Friday. For $15, they sent it some super fast way, and it arrived early monday morning in Amsterdam, where I was picking it up.

My Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card, that was hacked/compromised about 2pm on a friday. I explained to them it's my everyday card, and I need a new one ASAP. It was on my doorstep by 11am Saturday. Yes, that's less than 24 hours later.

THIS x 1,000,000!!!!!

Anyone using debit is an idiot. Credit gives you MUCH more protection. ...and before someone comments as to me using debit in Paris, I have world wide free ATM withdraws, and no currency exchange fees, so it's the easiest way to get the local currency in any foreign country. In the states, I don't touch my debit card.

There is only one perfect, but inconvenient solution.

Cancel all credit cards. Cancel all debit cards. Link NOTHING to your bank account.

Buy a refillable credit card. Deposit money (in very small amounts) to it as necessary.

Since it is a credit card you are protected from theft.

And if you are REALLY PARANOID (like me) don't refill it from a bank account with a lot of money in it.

I refill it from a saving account with no more money in it than I intend to transfer. I put money in the savings account just before I transfer it. And I do not link the saving and main checking account at the bank.

Or just use a credit card, and you're not responsible for any of the charges. "Hello, is this Mr. Kevins89notch, we're calling to confirm some recent purchases, did you just spent $700 at a best buy in another state? No, ok, we're drop the charge and you'll new card should be at your house tomorrow."

That's that.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
As others said, stop using you debit card for purchases. At gas stations I always try to use a pump most visible to the attendants/main building. Less likely a thief will take a chance installing a skimmer there.

Users who are viewing this thread