Control Arms

YellowSVTCobra

Established Member
Looking to do upper and lower control arms on my cobra. Was curious on what you guys run. What you like/don't like. I am wanting to ditch the quad shocks.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I like my MM lowers; fit perfectly and still retain decent ride quality in spite of having a spherical bearing on the axle end. Can't speak on being able to ditch the quad shocks with them, but everything I've read indicates you should be able to.

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
If you guys are going with the MM lowers, what would you suggest for adjustable uppers?

Most of us are lowered and if that is the case our pinion angle is probably out of whack in stock placement of the axle. I have Hotchkis uppers and lowers but will be switching them out as traction is a big issue right now.

Noreast

Established Member
I have j&m street race adjustable weight jackers work amazing ride good and don't make noise

stanggirl14

Established Member
steeda lowers and stock uppers, no quad shocks.

I remember reading about the upper control arms and the recommendation was to stay stock. I believe maximum motorsports has info on that.

mustang3X

Established Member
I remember reading about the upper control arms and the recommendation was to stay stock. I believe maximum motorsports has info on that.

The axle can bind and put too much stress on the body of the car, so staying with the stock uppers and their rubber bushings solves this problem.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have Steeda lowers and some Ford Racing HD uppers to put in.

Those lower bushings probably won't last with those uppers.

Stay stock upper.

the only time I change uppers is if going drag only or at least adding a pan P/H bar.

I also recommend keeping the quad shocks as they are there for a reason.

Unless you do the full rear or TQ/arm or 5 link set up then the uppers cannot control axle roll by themselves.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Those lower bushings probably won't last with those uppers.

Stay stock upper.

don't know if you are familiar with the Ford Racing HD uppers, the only difference from stock is a heavier rubber bushing and they are boxed in. Nothing I have ever read has indicated anything but good things from changing to those. no binding, just less deflection and flex than the stock ones. hard to find them anymore and their price went way up.

CJK440

Established Member
The axle can bind and put too much stress on the body of the car, so staying with the stock uppers and their rubber bushings solves this problem.

Yes, with solid joints at all ends of the 4 links the axle can move up and down without binding provided the axle stays parallel to the chassis. As soon as body roll happens the geometry will bind and something will have to give. With solids everywhere, the torque boxes will give out. This is why solid bushings upper and lower are recommended only for drag strip duty.

Use rubber upper arms and get an adjustable lower arm so you can adjust pinion angle.

stanggirl14

Established Member
I also recommend keeping the quad shocks as they are there for a reason.

Unless you do the full rear or TQ/arm or 5 link set up then the uppers cannot control axle roll by themselves.

I tried replacing mine, got KYB's I think, they rubbed really bad and I had already ditched the stockers, I've been meaning to get bilsteins just haven't done it.

A threadjacking question here: Exactly what differences are felt with aftermarket LCAs and is it worth it?

I think the difference felt and if it's worth it may depend on which ones you go with and what you do with the car, I replaced mine simply b/c when I tried to get the old bushing out of the original lca's I bent them so instead of replacing with oem I went with Steeda's. I didn't feel much difference but my car is still mostly stock, no FI, and a daily driver.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I love the J&M products weight jacker lower control arms. If you are hard on your car get the street-race version if you just want a lil sumpin sumpin get the street version. I have had both and currently use the street version. Both are built for longevity.
1979-2004 Mustang Rear Lower Street Control Arms Weight Jack Adjustable - J&M Products

1979-1998 & 1999-2004 Mustang Street/Race Rear Lower Control Arms W/ Weight Jack Spring Perch - J&M Products

It is true what MM says about keeping stock uppers but if those are not available the J&M products uppers on a daily driver car work great. I also have these.
1979-2004 Mustang Street Upper Control Arm (patent pending poly-ball bushings) - J&M Products

Users who are viewing this thread