Convert limited to 155

Duncan4169

SVT Poster
Established Member
I order a convert and should have it in 2 weeks. I think the 155 top speed limiter is slow and want to take it off anyone else thinking of doing this ? Is it safe to go up to 160 - 170 ? Never had a convert before

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I order a convert and should have it in 2 weeks. I think the 155 top speed limiter is slow and want to take it off anyone else thinking of doing this ? Is it safe to go up to 160 - 170 ? Never had a convert before

It is limited to 155 or 150, I forgot which.

I would not mess with it. I like a solid roof between my head and the ground in case I flip it. Especially at speeds in excess of 150!

Scott

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if you plan to you should definitely install a roll bar.

although a roll at 150mph in either coupe or vert probably wont buff out :burnout:

having the top down will seriously hamper your high speed efforts. with the top up, who knows. im sure the hard coupe roof plays a big part in the aerodynamics and COD. also, a really high speed could possibly damage the roof. pretty sure i read that about an exotic that came in both coupe and vert. that could possibly be the reason its limited. perhaps during testing they found the roof getting damaged which would have to be covered under warranty. just speculation though.

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
Yes there is. I had a ragtop sports car prior to my 13 Shelby. With top up, high airflow over the surface created a wing effect and it pulls up. Got it to 115 once and I though the top was going to take flight. With it down it acts like a parachute. Buddy had his ripped off in that fashion. Food for thought.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Ford must have validated the top-up to be "safe", meaning it won't rip off up to 155 mph, not that it means I would do it of course......

I bet the top-down 140 mph is fun too!

klm

Convertible Roll Bar

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendation on who could prof install a 4 pt RB in the vert? Clean, show quality install......

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Anyone got any suggestions/recommendation on who could prof install a 4 pt RB in the vert? Clean, show quality install......

There is a guy in MA- Cage This who is awesome, but you're in TX, so I am sure someone from that area could chime in

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
What a group of candy-asses....:p

I've had my vert over 150 on probably a half dozen occasions with the top up. No, I didn't take flight nor did my top get damaged. The heat blowing out of the vents got pretty damn hot for a bit but other than that unremarkable, the '03 is very stable at that speed and with the better aero of the GT500 I don't see why 170-ish is unreasonable. It probably has more to do with liability reasons or something along those lines.

It'll be fine for the occasional empty road blast, just don't do it with the top down and try to check your tires immediately beforehand.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Hmm, interesting website. Will check him out, need a removable cage for the one off day at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread