Convertible at the drag strip; rollbar?

Samtabulis

Established Member
I'd like to take my car out to the dragstrip to see what it runs, but know the NHRA rules state that a convertible faster than 14.0 requires a roll bar. It probably depends on the track and how strictly they enforce rules, but what have you convertible guys run into when going to the track?

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i got a 4pnt

and run mid 12's... like u said, it depends on the track

try ur luck with out one, the worse they can till u is u cant run till u get one?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Frequently Asked NHRA Tech Questions

NHRA rulebook said:
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49.

though some tracks are more forgiving than others, especially since alot of newer modern muscle cars can do 13.49 or faster in convertible form stock. Some are anal (Sacramento Raceway asked me 20 questions whenever i bring my Spyder to the track), and some dont really care.

And by rollbar they dont mean the flimzy CDC light bar or such; they mean a real rollbar setup.

Youll DEFINITELY need a helmet.

Last edited:

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member

though some tracks are more forgiving than others, especially since alot of newer modern muscle cars can do 13.49 or faster in convertible form stock. Some are anal (Sacramento Raceway asked me 20 questions whenever i bring my Spyder to the track), and some dont really care.

And by rollbar they dont mean the flimzy CDC light bar or such; they mean a real rollbar setup.

Youll DEFINITELY need a helmet.

Damn dude that sucks. Sac has always been cool when I take the cobra to the track. I was tryin for 10s on race tune one time and they never said squat. About 2 months ago I was on 91 and doin 11s and the lady tried giving me a hard time but it never amounted to anything.

Get a helmet and see what the track does.:burnout:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Though some tracks are more forgiving than others, especially since alot of newer modern muscle cars can do 13.49 or faster in convertible form stock. Some are anal (Sacramento Raceway asked me 20 questions whenever i bring my Spyder to the track), and some don't really care.

And by rollbar they dont mean the flimsy CDC light bar or such; they mean a real rollbar setup.

You'll DEFINITELY need a helmet.

I agree that most tracks won't put up a fuss with cars over 12 seconds. Many even lower. Definitely just buy a helmet and visit your track. I'll bet you'll be fine.

joesfiddy

Established Member
they will let you go 13.49 with vert but thier is a new rule this year for vert is they are completely stock they will let you go 11.49 at a nhra track

Samtabulis

Established Member
I used to run my '93 Mustang at a track in Ohio who would just ask, "What do you plan on running?" This is my first convertible at a track, and my first time going to this track in Gainesville, FL. I was definitely planning on bringing my helmet, so I'll just have to see what they have to say about it being a convertible. I was just curious what other convertible owners have experienced at the track. Thanks for the input.

Established Member
Just an FYI Gainesville Raceway is pretty strict. You will NEED a helmet if you run in the 13's or below (so you'll need one), beyond that I'm not sure with the convertible thing. I know if you run less than 11.50 there you need a roll bar. I'd imagine that they follow the NHRA rules to a T.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Seems I did the opposite of most people. I put a Rollbar in pretty much within the first year or so I had the car. I just couldn't stand going to a Drag Strip and getting kicked out or driving past a perfectly good one only to run at one that didn't tech. So a custom one was installed and no problems ever running anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread