Coolant over flow issue

Bullitt4691

Established Member
I've a turbo charged.. 01 cobra motor that I swapped into my 2001 bullitt. Because of the location of the turbo I did a resivor delete... And now have a much smaller resivor located near the battery in the engine bay.

I'm having a weird problem because I filled the coolant system with antifreeze first in the resivor and then burped and topped off the system through the coolant cross over tube. But now when I drive the car and the antifreeze/car heats up the coolant shoots through the resivor cap to the point where the resivor is actually compelety empty. I usually pull over to find coolant all over the place.. and an empty resivour. Not sure what's wrong :(

oldmodman

Established Member
If your engine is sound and tight then there IS a small amount of air left in your system. When it heats up it expands and forces fluid out of the overflow.
Keep on burping your system. It has taken me a week and five tries to get all the air out of mine. Some cars seem to be much harder to burp than others.
Try doing it with the front wheel up on a ramp to raise the front of the car. Put a hose into the bleed cap and keep it full of coolant while you start, warm up, and cool down the car. Several times. I was surprised the time I stated using that method. I got huge burps of air out of the engine while it was cooling down.

I have had enough coolant burping problems that I am really tempted to switch to Evans Waterless Coolant. The radiator runs at zero pressure when hot. No burping. And all the hoses and gaskets will last longer since there is no pressure. Too bad it's so expensive.

IllCobra

Established Member
If your engine is sound and tight then there IS a small amount of air left in your system. When it heats up it expands and forces fluid out of the overflow.
Keep on burping your system. It has taken me a week and five tries to get all the air out of mine. Some cars seem to be much harder to burp than others.
Try doing it with the front wheel up on a ramp to raise the front of the car. Put a hose into the bleed cap and keep it full of coolant while you start, warm up, and cool down the car. Several times. I was surprised the time I stated using that method. I got huge burps of air out of the engine while it was cooling down.

I have had enough coolant burping problems that I am really tempted to switch to Evans Waterless Coolant. The radiator runs at zero pressure when hot. No burping. And all the hoses and gaskets will last longer since there is no pressure. Too bad it's so expensive.
Shoot! I just looked up the price on Evans - $45 a gallon!! I could have swore that it was in the $20s a few years ago when i considered using it on my ATV. Anyone using it? How do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread