Coolant smell

toomanytoys

Established Member
After driving the car for a little while and getting it warm I can smell antifreeze near the back of the hood at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. Can't find any leaks though and no puddles under the car either. No smoke or steam. Car isn't overheating. The car is a mostly stock 03 with 41k miles on it.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?

toomanytoys

Established Member
No smell from inside. Carpet is dry. Can only smell it outside when standing next to the car

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Arent the heater connections at the firewall , right above , or close to the exhaust manifold.?
If a fitting is seaping , so you dont notice a lose of coolant , and burning off on the manifold.

hotcobra03

Established Member
my last leak had a smell.
every time I got out of car..

mine was overflow tank.. small cracking on bottom..

93VORTECH

Established Member
Had a similar issue on mine. Check out them heater connections on the firewall. That's what my issue was.

MG0h3

Established Member
The pressure tester adapter for our cars is probably spendy. My standard kit didn't come with it.

I'd grab a telescoping mechanics mirror and start looking at all coolant connections. Sometimes you can just run your finger under the bottom of connections and if you come up wet or with a film you found a leak.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Mine is leaking from the AC evap tube coming out of the firewall right above the passenger exhaust manifold. Leads me to thinking it is heater core. See if you can see it dripping from there.

Users who are viewing this thread