Cooling comparisons

yc420

Established Member
Does anybody have an unbiased comparison between the new AFCO Dual Pass Heat Exchanger w/DUAL 10" Spal Fans
and the Shelby Dual Pass Heat Exchanger w/ Dual Puller Fans.

The Shelby retails for: $750 and has the word "Shelby" painted on the front. (Not sure how visible it is but it's there.)

The AFCO retails for: $670 and has nothing painted on it. I have heard that paint decreases the airflow a bit. I'm sure it's not big deal though.

If you don't have a comparison, do you know of a thread on another forum maybe that does?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Let me clean that up for you:

Does anybody have an unbiased comparison between the new AFCO Dual Pass Heat Exchanger w/DUAL 10" Spal Fans
and the Shelby Dual Pass Heat Exchanger w/ Dual Puller Fans.

The Shelby retails for: $750 and has the word "Shelby" painted on the front. (Not sure how visible it is but it's there.)

The AFCO retails for: $670 and has nothing painted on it. I have heard that paint decreases the airflow a bit. I'm sure it's not big deal though.

If you don't have a comparison, do you know of a thread on another forum maybe that does?

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I made it for easier for anyone who might :)

Carlos c

Established Member
IMO I think the 2 are very similar and only noticeable difference is $80

yc420

Established Member
sorry about the spacing. It was all nice and neatly written on my iPhone when I submitted it.

IMO I think the 2 are very similar and only noticeable difference is $80

Yes and the Shelby has already been proven IMO. But AFCO has always made a good unit. So I'd like to really see these two units in an unbiased head to head comparison.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Regarding what the OP said about paint...a thin coating of flat black paint helps cooling if it is done correctly. I'm surprised they don't ship that way or offer the option for the BBE coating by Swain seeing how AFCO and Revan each to everything else into consideration performance wise when these are being made.

Regardless, when I order the C&R radiator, I'm shipping it right to Swain Tech (been using them for several years on various builds) to get coated (BBE Heat Emitting Coat by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating). Why stop at short and I know I wouldn't be able to control the thickness if I rattle can it flat black...too thick and you reduce the cooling efficiency ;) Swain has an excellent rep and the 5%-15% increase in efficiency would be nice. Perhaps that can be added to the test.

Last edited:

Alloy Snake

Established Member
I dont have a comparison but I can give you insight-I ran Daytona International Speedway this weekend and after 30 minutes of pounding the car enough to burn 1/2 a tank of fuel in that 30 minutes I thought things would be hot-Checked the intercooler fluid and it was at ambiant temperature.Thats how good the Shelby/Revan Racing heat exchanger works.I know thats not a comparison but do ya think the Afco would work better than that!!!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You can't stop progress. Not saying the AFCO is better (no tests yet) but it's bound to happen by someone (Revan may even improve his own product). If I were in the market, I'd just get the Revan since it's proven.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I dont have a comparison but I can give you insight-I ran Daytona International Speedway this weekend and after 30 minutes of pounding the car enough to burn 1/2 a tank of fuel in that 30 minutes I thought things would be hot-Checked the intercooler fluid and it was at ambiant temperature.Thats how good the Shelby/Revan Racing heat exchanger works.I know thats not a comparison but do ya think the Afco would work better than that!!!

now thats working:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread