Cooling for Open Track and sustained high speeds...

01Cobra896

Established Member
Ana, you know me, I am down for the test. Once I get the car running again and get everything sorted out we will see how things go. I know my drive to work is approximately 60 miles one way. There are a few spots I have to slow down for (construction/speed control) but the rest I will run at 120+mph as much as I can. Should be a fun time going to work.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Aren't you guys getting a bad winter over there this year? I've heard of heavy snowfalls, etc.
What's the Autobahn like in those conditions?

01Cobra896

Established Member
Has not snowed here yet........key word being yet. When the snow hits, the Cobra stays in the garage until it is all gone. I drive my beater Honda or my 89 GT when the weather is bad. The autobahn is kept pretty clean when it snows, there is normally very little build up on there. Depends on how hard it snows though.

PaleRider

Death Spank
Established Member
At a track like Road America, I am at WOT minimum of 90% of the time at an open track event.

The only time I'm not at WOT is the braking zones, approaching the apexes after turn-in, the Carousel and breathing the throttle in 7, and 13.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

What is your coolant temp?
What is your oil temp?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What is your coolant temp?
What is your oil temp?

With my original motor the coolant ran very cool, in the 180 degree range. Oil was high, mostly dependant on ambient temps. It ran as high as 290-300 measured in the oil pan.

The new motor ran considerably hotter on the coolant side at about 210-220. And with the new Nascar C&R oil cooler, the oil was too cool and I had to block it mostly off to keep the oil in the 220 range.

PaleRider

Death Spank
Established Member
With my original motor the coolant ran very cool, in the 180 degree range. Oil was high, mostly dependant on ambient temps. It ran as high as 290-300 measured in the oil pan.

The new motor ran considerably hotter on the coolant side at about 210-220. And with the new Nascar C&R oil cooler, the oil was too cool and I had to block it mostly off to keep the oil in the 220 range.

Wow Bruce I guess I need to talk to you about engine cooling.
My friend has a German spec car with 6 or 7 radiators, I asked what his temps were and he said that his oil temp is as high as 266 degree.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Wow Bruce I guess I need to talk to you about engine cooling.
My friend has a German spec car with 6 or 7 radiators, I asked what his temps were and he said that his oil temp is as high as 266 degree.

266 is NOT high for an oil temp. :idea: That's about ideal. The MINIMUM oil temp should be in the 220 range. People that think cool oil temps are a good thing, are wrong. 190 is too cool for an oil temp. 300 is too hot. 250 is perfect. Your friend is pretty close to perfect if you ask me!? :-D

*EDIT* This is assuming synthetic oil and it does matter where the temperature is being measured as well.

FWIW

PaleRider

Death Spank
Established Member
266 is NOT high for an oil temp. :idea: That's about ideal. The MINIMUM oil temp should be in the 220 range. People that think cool oil temps are a good thing, are wrong. 190 is too cool for an oil temp. 300 is too hot. 250 is perfect. Your friend is pretty close to perfect if you ask me!? :-D

*EDIT* This is assuming synthetic oil and it does matter where the temperature is being measured as well.

FWIW

I meant I would like to keep my oil temps down like my friend's. ;)

Last edited:

Fast GTO

Established Member
well, I ran my GTO consistently at 120-140 for long stretches. I imagine the Cobra should be able to run a constant 120-140 so long as it is not at WOT.

What RPM should it be running in 6th gear at 140?

01Cobra896

Established Member
Mine in 5th runs about 3200 at 85mph. As far as higher than that, I was paying more attention to the road at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread