Cooling Issues.......

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Before i start cussing and kicking my car im gunna walk away be we are both hot. Changed the coolant reservoir in my car. Simple right? Didnt really lose any coolant from anything other than the overflow. Filled it up. Easy right? Start the car it pushes it all put and acts like it has air in it. Run it with the cap off bubbles, seems fine. Let it set overnight with the cap cracked. Started it again today same thing but no bubbles so i decide to take it on a test drive. About 2 miles is the route i take. This is after being warmed up and setting on 200 deg idling. Get a mile down the road and turn and simple driving nothing crazy still at 200, speeding back up barely even moving the needle on the boost gauge off of vac i would say about 3 psi of boost and the whole car bucks and misses. Did it twice as soon as i came out of vac. Ok i checked all of my sensors after i put valve covers on it all hooked up, test drove it and boost was fine then. Did two half boost pulls so that has me cratching my head. I think bc it was hot. But i digress, after that bucking fit i look down and i would say after 20 seconds it already up to 220 just like that. Get down to a place i can turn around and get back to my house 235 almost 240. Shut it off. Crack the pverflow and it gushed then i hear it sucking it down into everything. Everytime it gets up to temp and it coola off it sucks it down. So yeah parking it in the garage after i rinse it off and gunna go cool off and let the car do the same. Not sure what to do. My dad worked at ford for years and he doesnt know what else to do other than keep trying to bleed it. Anyone else has this issue?:shrug:

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Take off the crossover tube cap and screw a plastic funnel into the threaded hole.

Fill the funnel up with coolant so every burp is instantly replaced with coolant.

Start the car and let it idle long enough to show warmed up. Keep adding coolant to the funnel so it never is empty. Let the car cool overnight with the partially filled funnel still in the crossover tube.

This will eliminate all the air from the system. Maybe.

I have seen some cars require two or three repeats of this procedure to remove the last traces of air. It is also worth it to park your car with the front tires on a block of wood to lift the front end slightly.

Let me add that before doing any of this the reservoir must also be full before starting this procedure. Pain in the ass? Sure is. But it will eventually get rid of all the air.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
So if you dont mind, whats right? I have never done it any different on everything i have worked on from diesels to cars to military vehicles.

you need to fill these 4-valve fords up at the highest point of the system which is the bleeder opening on the crossover tube. (that is also the case for many vehicles however) this is true regardless of how much or how little coolant you think you have lost when cracking the system.

years ago Ashley largeorangefont on here gave what I thought was the best analogy about it. think of the system as an upside down horsehoe. opening either side will drop the level. but by filling at the reservoir you are only filling one side of the horseshoe, and the other side remains empty.

your dad when worked at a ford dealership probably used a vacuum fluid exchanger and in that case they could do it all at the reservoir opening. but when doing it manually you must fill at the crossover tube.

hopefully you did not damage anything. best of luck with it...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the crossover is usually the highest point, it needs to be burped from there or youll never get anywhere. if you search this section about how to "burp" these cars there are detailed threads on how to do it.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Take off the crossover tube cap and screw a plastic funnel into the threaded hole.

Fill the funnel up with coolant so every burp is instantly replaced with coolant.

Start the car and let it idle long enough to show warmed up. Keep adding coolant to the funnel so it never is empty. Let the car cool overnight with the partially filled funnel still in the crossover tube.

This will eliminate all the air from the system. Maybe.

I have seen some cars require two or three repeats of this procedure to remove the last traces of air. It is also worth it to park your car with the front tires on a block of wood to lift the front end slightly.

Let me add that before doing any of this the reservoir must also be full before starting this procedure. Pain in the ass? Sure is. But it will eventually get rid of all the air.

When you do this will coolant expand out of the crossover as it get hot like it does the reservoir? I ask bc i dont have a funnel that screws in.

b_dike

Established Member
When you do this will coolant expand out of the crossover as it get hot like it does the reservoir? I ask bc i dont have a funnel that screws in.

A regular funnel is fine... Just wrap some electrical tape or something around the bottom to make a snug fit. Then add some tape around the outside with the funnel in position to make it air tight. It doesn't have to literally screw into place...

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
A regular funnel is fine... Just wrap some electrical tape or something around the bottom to make a snug fit. Then add some tape around the outside with the funnel in position to make it air tight. It doesn't have to literally screw into place...

Thanks, i will this sun or so. Today is day 3 of trying to bleed the cooling system so im taking a break. I appreciate yalls help. Hopefully shes bleed this time.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member

Thanks, i will this sun or so. Today is day 3 of trying to bleed the cooling system so im taking a break. I appreciate yalls help. Hopefully shes bleed this time.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Took a half gal to fill up the crossover :/ and filled the reservoir. Lettin it sit tonight as per the writeup. Gunna recheck and refill tomorrow and start it again, get up to temp, then let it cool and recheck again.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Thanks for the all the info. I also passed it on to a buddy with an 03 so he doesnt make the same mistake as me. He just bought the car and is preparing to do some work to his.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread