Cops found our street racing website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys, we've got this street racing website. It has a lot of our local street racing vids. Apparently the cops found this website. Can the cops do anything? We are careful not show our faces or license plates on the website. This is a pretty small town though. Say the cop see's me racing my red lightning on the website. Later on he sees me driving around town. Can he pull me over and give me a racing ticket?

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Hmmm from what i understand they can not give you a ticket from what you have done before? but they can bug the hell out of you by pulling you over for "No turn signal" and make your day a living hell Just do not post videos or go to the main spot that the videos were filmed at and how do you know the cops found it? I will let a LEO chime in this is just what i understand. The LEO would have a lot more say in this. ~NICK~

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
I would say that if you or your car are indentifiable, you are screwed.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
My Cobra said:
how do you know the cops found it? ~NICK~
For awhile it was just rumors. But a few days ago, a friend of mine has a uncle that "works" at the police station. This guy says that one day at work, he seen some state cops looking at the website.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
If the cars are not identified then I would say that you are simply going to be the subject of police attention and that you are going to have to run around from location to location to race a lot more. Consider this: You guys are now tagets for all sorts of non moving violations that you never knew existed and you are all prime canidates for careless driving tickets whenever you make the smallest mistake in view of an officer who has seen the site.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
If it's gotten this far, there is no point in taking it down. Chances are they have what they need by now. They can always subpoena the servers and if you try to wipe the disks, they will get the data back anyhow. You'd be surprised what you can pull off of reformatted hard drives. The blocks are still there, they just need to be put together.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
My Cobra said:
Hmmm from what i understand they can not give you a ticket from what you have done before? but they can bug the hell out of you by pulling you over for "No turn signal" and make your day a living hell Just do not post videos or go to the main spot that the videos were filmed at and how do you know the cops found it? I will let a LEO chime in this is just what i understand. The LEO would have a lot more say in this. ~NICK~

Nick, Im not trying to pick on you or anything, but think about what you just posted. Police can not give you a ticket for what you have done before?? That is always how it works. When is the last time you have been pulled over and a police officer issued you a Citation and said "I know at the light up there, your going to do a burn out... so here's your ticket in advance." ?? If it's 2mins later or 20 days later, it dosen't really matter. The only time I have seen this become a problem is when you try to "stack" citations. Judges do not like it when you get 10-15 violations on someone over a time span, and then deciede to issue them all on one day.... Not cool.

To the question:

Yes. If we can identify the plates or the drivers all applicable laws apply just the same as if I pulled you over 30 seconds after you did it. It's almost a better case as you have evidence, and it's not my word vs. yours. Furthermore, if it's a small town like you say and the evidence is not strong enough for a citation, I would expect that you will be stopped for little things and cited in the future. Not that we are going to issue you citations for violations that we're making up, but the little stuff that normally slides, is no longer going too.

I know in some of the more progressive departments that have the resources to make "Anti-Street Racing" task forces, they regularly look for those videos on-line and make cases out of them.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
I absolutely LOVE the Pic/video section of SVTperformance, but damn if I would ever post an incriminating video of myself there for the sake of entertainment. :dw:

What about that "this video is completely computer generated" disclaimer that i see so often on people's posted videos? What's the truth on that? Doesn't work? If it did, i suppose it would be feasible to quickly go and attach that to each video.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Nick, Im not trying to pick on you or anything, but think about what you just posted. Police can not give you a ticket for what you have done before?? That is always how it works. When is the last time you have been pulled over and a police officer issued you a Citation and said "I know at the light up there, your going to do a burn out... so here's your ticket in advance." ?? If it's 2mins later or 20 days later, it dosen't really matter. The only time I have seen this become a problem is when you try to "stack" citations. Judges do not like it when you get 10-15 violations on someone over a time span, and then deciede to issue them all on one day.... Not cool.

I understand what you mean but how far back can they go? Lets say that one day i video tape my self racing another car on a state highway. If i had that video on my web site and a year later they come across it. Could they come to my house and write me a ticket for it? Also say i had a few videos on my site from a few diffrent times could i be charged each time and given all the tickets at once? Seems weird to me that they can look at a web site from videos from a while back and write tickets for things they see. But then again it also seems odd that if you go home that day turn off your car you are considered safe and you get away with it. But i would say that the cops will pull you over and make you pay for it one way or another.

Sp3nis

Baby With a Bottle
Established Member
WTF said:
I absolutely LOVE the Pic/video section of SVTperformance, but damn if I would ever post an incriminating video of myself there for the sake of entertainment. :dw:

What about that "this video is completely computer generated" disclaimer that i see so often on people's posted videos? What's the truth on that? Doesn't work? If it did, i suppose it would be feasible to quickly go and attach that to each video.

No idea but your right, i wouldnt even post pictures now that have my plates in them, even though i had a poll somewhere asking which custom i should get. Or showing people them it. Cop can see you your car you on the website and be like this kid does this and that.

tuke

I am t3h Banned
Established Member
I read a thread in a bike forum where the dumb bastard ran from the Police, got away, and gave ALL the details (streets, bike discription, time, day, etc.) and a few posts later he got his dumb ass PWN3D (tracked and arrested) by a Cop on the forum

stupid bastard

jshen

Established Member
Yes...if you post your racing and I can prove it's you and I can prove venue and it's within the statute of limitations...it's admissible. Why would you want make evidence against you. We have video surveillance in banks for a reason...they tape crimes. In your case, you taped your own.

If I know it's you...guess what...I'll have a search warrant issued for your computer(s)..and all CDs/DVD, extra drives, etc. and our computer techs will ghost your drive and discs and recover everything you think you've erased..Yes, we can subpoena records from the server. It gets worse, YOU get to pay the court costs of my doing all of the above if your convicted...as well as fines, license suspension...etc. By the way, in you are involved in a crime in which a computer is used...i.e. posting racing...I don't think you would see it again. If it's not seized..it's given by you to the state...as a condition of staying out of jail.......Thank you!

You might keep in the back of your mind...we are not stupid..Some of us actually went to college...grad school..law school.

Last edited:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
:idea: Ok, with that, the question begs to be asked:

Are you currently building cases for the very frequently posted racing videos shown on the pics/video section of this forum? :-D

Also, what about the 'computer generated images/footage' disclaimer as i mentioned in my post? Any LEOs care to comment on that? Does it work?

I imagine if it didn't work, the word would have gotten out by now and people would stop bothering with it.

But then again, people are still creating and posting incriminating evidence against themselves to this very day without the disclaimer, apparently, blissfully throwing caution to the wind. :dw:

cornholio

Established Member
Understand that people get tickets not the cars they drive (the exception being parking tickets). In other words, if your video shows "your car" commiting an infraction back in January, but the driver is unknown, can't be seen, can't be identified,etc., then no, nobody is getting a ticket for that infraction.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Street Racing is a violation of the Law, and not a crime. It's a Traffic offense and I personally know of no limits setting a prosecution window in place. If you did it, and we can prove it 50 years later and someone wants to write you a ticket, your getting a ticket. Now, how well that holds up in court??? Who knows..... The DA may look at the citation, see the date, and toss it because he dosen't want to deal with it. I guess you could say this, if it's been over a year, and no one was injuried and no property damage occured, in probably in the clear.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
WTF said:
Also, what about the 'computer generated images/footage' disclaimer as i mentioned in my post? Any LEOs care to comment on that? Does it work?

If the video is indeed 100% computer generated then no crime has been committed with regard to traffic code.

But after a drive is ghosted and the computer techs pull it apart using their high end software and it is found not to be computer generated then you are screwed.

Remember you can put any caveat you want on your site or videos. First it must be lawful and second it must be accurate. Just because you post that it is "computer generated" doesnt mean it is believable.

jshen

Established Member
Ga

With very few exceptions...traffic violations are either misdemeanor or felony grade. Racing is a crime here and if caught here...you'll be treated as a criminal. The officer may let you go with a ticket..[ He has every right to book you in the local jail ]...but that doesn't mean you'll be walking out the courthouse with just a fine..Here, you could get some quality time with..."Bubba"

jshen

Established Member
WTF said:
:idea: Ok, with that, the question begs to be asked:

Are you currently building cases for the very frequently posted racing videos shown on the pics/video section of this forum? :-D

. :dw:

I haven't seen any in my neck of the woods that would give me grounds to begin an investigation....yet.

I will say that computers are increasingly becoming objects of investigation for some crimes. Just about every big PD has computer techs. ALL state investigative agencies have them...and if evidence can be stored...SW is one of the first things done. I handled a computer related crime over 15 years ago..[ a hacker ] who was 16 years of age at the time. FBI did the investigation and US attorney did not want to deal with it because he was a juvenile..........Since then things have really escalated from LE angle. Oh, the kid ?...put his family into bankruptcy because of his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread