Cops found our street racing website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I have the best answer for you..........DON'T STREET RACE!!!

Seriously, you knew what you were doing was illegal and morally wrong. Why are you trying to hide and get all scared about it. You knew it was illegal and you took it a step further by taping yourself and then by hosting it. Streetracers, man you crack me up.

"i'm going to do something illegal and risk hurting innocent people, and then I am going to run and hide because I am not man enough to face up to my punishment". EVer think about someone getting killed?

OK, I know I took this post a "tad" far, but come on, wake up, stop streetracing, lives are at stake. NOT JUST YOURS.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
cornholio said:
Understand that people get tickets not the cars they drive (the exception being parking tickets). In other words, if your video shows "your car" commiting an infraction back in January, but the driver is unknown, can't be seen, can't be identified,etc., then no, nobody is getting a ticket for that infraction.
Exactly! This is what I always believed. That may be my Lightning racing that Cobra, but how do you know who's driving it?

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
I have the best answer for you..........DON'T STREET RACE!!!

Seriously, you knew what you were doing was illegal and morally wrong. Why are you trying to hide and get all scared about it. You knew it was illegal and you took it a step further by taping yourself and then by hosting it. Streetracers, man you crack me up.

"i'm going to do something illegal and risk hurting innocent people, and then I am going to run and hide because I am not man enough to face up to my punishment". EVer think about someone getting killed?

OK, I know I took this post a "tad" far, but come on, wake up, stop streetracing, lives are at stake. NOT JUST YOURS.

Maybe i'll give out the link and you can take a look at the street races. We live in the smallest town you've ever seen. We race on country back-roads. Sometimes we race for two or three hours, and never see any other traffic. If someone gets injured/killed, it's a driver losing control of his own car.
We like to race, just like most of you. The difference is, you have drag strips, we don't.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If the video is indeed 100% computer generated then no crime has been committed with regard to traffic code.

But after a drive is ghosted and the computer techs pull it apart using their high end software and it is found not to be computer generated then you are screwed.

Remember you can put any caveat you want on your site or videos. First it must be lawful and second it must be accurate. Just because you post that it is "computer generated" doesnt mean it is believable.

Well there are plenty of "permanent" erasing solutions that military and government use when deleting confidential information off hard drives or similar media. For example: http://www.ontrack.com/dataeraser/ While they are somewhat expensive, there are also plenty of free or low cost alternatives available on net. The standard that seems to be acceptable by our very own military and government is 3pass randomization but it can go all the way up to 7pass, a little extra piece of mind that the ultra paranoid Germans have created.

Of course, use of these programs will be obvious. They won't be able to recover any data, but they will definitely know someone has covered their tracks, for whatever reason.

jshen

Established Member
Correct

I am aware of the that software. In fact, I use a little better version of it on personal and business computers. A lot of my work is confidential and I won't even allow the county computer techs access to my computer without my being there. When new computers are swapped out ..we transfer files to new computer and RETAIN our hard drive to destroy. When I told my boss how vulnerable his stuff was..it became office SOP.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Reformat the servers, rip out the harddrives, smash them, then rub them with magnets. It'd make it very hard for the po-po to get anything off a disk after that kind of thing. Still, if the vids are saved and they get a plate, you are screwed. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If the video is indeed 100% computer generated then no crime has been committed with regard to traffic code.

But after a drive is ghosted and the computer techs pull it apart using their high end software and it is found not to be computer generated then you are screwed.

Remember you can put any caveat you want on your site or videos. First it must be lawful and second it must be accurate. Just because you post that it is "computer generated" doesnt mean it is believable.

You would have to prove it's not computer generated if I'm not mistaken. The whole without resonable doubt thing comes into play.

Also, if someone is smart they'll smash their hdd into a million pieces, not simply reformat it or whatever.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
T-Bolt said:
Reformat the servers, rip out the harddrives, smash them, then rub them with magnets. It'd make it very hard for the po-po to get anything off a disk after that kind of thing. Still, if the vids are saved and they get a plate, you are screwed. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
It won't work. My company sued a guy who gave out our client list. His HD had been reformatted and a different OS had been loaded on it. Before he trashed the drive, he wrote a large size file over all tracks and then reformatted and reloaded an OS.

We brought in a guy who works with the FBI on computer forensic cases in St. Louis.

He got everything back. I work with computers all day long and I would have thought there was no way. I am now convinced that will never get away, no matter what you do.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
BucsFanUCF said:
You would have to prove it's not computer generated if I'm not mistaken. The whole without resonable doubt thing comes into play.

Also, if someone is smart they'll smash their hdd into a million pieces, not simply reformat it or whatever.
To make a computer generated image of such quality that you would have a hard time telling it from reality, you would need something far greater than what some kid operating a website in BFE would be able to afford. Anyone who wasn't insanely rich for that matter, probably couldn't afford one.

Like an SGI VR box, which would cost you at least 50K.

Last edited:

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
I was just about to make that point. Also, As I posted before. If he lives in a small town and the police know about it he (and all hsi buddies) will be getting pulled over for all sorts of moving/non moving violations and the judge and prosecutor are not going to give an inch.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
fast1 said:
Maybe i'll give out the link and you can take a look at the street races. We live in the smallest town you've ever seen. We race on country back-roads. Sometimes we race for two or three hours, and never see any other traffic. If someone gets injured/killed, it's a driver losing control of his own car.
We like to race, just like most of you. The difference is, you have drag strips, we don't.

I can kind of understand Private property and lonely back roads.

But you still know it is illegal and there is a price to pay if you are caught. I mean, don't you guys think looking into the site as being "incrminating evidence" first would have been a good idea?

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
what if all of my races were filmed on the autobahn? :fart: :shrug:

j/p. i havn't traveled lately.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Rake brings up a good point,

if the video is brought into court, say it was at night-time on some backroads in the middle of New York, couldn't the defendant argue that the activity taking place was in, say, Nebraska, and therefore the LEO would have no juristiction to write a citation?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
BucsFanUCF said:
Rake brings up a good point,

if the video is brought into court, say it was at night-time on some backroads in the middle of New York, couldn't the defendant argue that the activity taking place was in, say, Nebraska, and therefore the LEO would have no juristiction to write a citation?

Possibly. But remember the people that post these videos usually give a little more info, like where it happened and when. Plus there are usually visual clues like signs, buildings, etc that give the location away.

I just think it is better to not post these videos at all.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
kneedragger said:
It won't work. My company sued a guy who gave out our client list. His HD had been reformatted and a different OS had been loaded on it. Before he trashed the drive, he wrote a large size file over all tracks and then reformatted and reloaded an OS.

We brought in a guy who works with the FBI on computer forensic cases in St. Louis.

He got everything back. I work with computers all day long and I would have thought there was no way. I am now convinced that will never get away, no matter what you do.

If you smashed the actual disc of a hard drive good, their is no way to recover that. Just open up the HD and smash the disc with a heavy hammer and spread that shit around. And your good to go. The goverment puts their old HD's through a metal shreader and it makes them into powered. Thats the best thing but i dont think everyone has a metal shreader on hand.

But also high power magnets work good to. They will permently scramble the data.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
He said it was on a website. Most websites are hosted in datacenters by outfits that resell hosting. These datacenters backup data. Most would have some type of archival policy. For instance, every month end tape goes to a data vault.

Long story short, no matter what you erase, format, destroy, overwrite, there's a tape somewhere with the data intact.

This is kind of like videotaping yourself robbing the quickie mart, then posting the video on the net.

Darwin comes to mind.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
If you smashed the actual disc of a hard drive good, their is no way to recover that. Just open up the HD and smash the disc with a heavy hammer and spread that shit around. And your good to go. The goverment puts their old HD's through a metal shreader and it makes them into powered. Thats the best thing but i dont think everyone has a metal shreader on hand.

But also high power magnets work good to. They will permently scramble the data.
Magnet will not work all of the time and chances of this kid shredding his hard drive are about the same as chances there is no evidence somewhere. Realistically, the Police may not pay to have data recovery done once they find out the price.

Elliotness

Established Member
WTF said:
I absolutely LOVE the Pic/video section of SVTperformance, but damn if I would ever post an incriminating video of myself there for the sake of entertainment. :dw:

What about that "this video is completely computer generated" disclaimer that i see so often on people's posted videos? What's the truth on that? Doesn't work? If it did, i suppose it would be feasible to quickly go and attach that to each video.

Probably not going to get you off the hook. If it were a still image you might have a chance but not on a movie clip.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
re: destroying hard drives.
cart them to the dump
can't get busted for things that are missing
remember though that this is extremely unlikely, and there's no point - if they want them they'll take them.
Just take down the site.

Elliotness

Established Member
kneedragger said:
To make a computer generated image of such quality that you would have a hard time telling it from reality, you would need something far greater than what some kid operating a website in BFE would be able to afford. Anyone who wasn't insanely rich for that matter, probably couldn't afford one.

Like an SGI VR box, which would cost you at least 50K.

Exactly, case law has held that where moving pictures are involved technology has not reached the point where the average person could fabricate the videos...... They use the cost of making a 1 minute clip of the Shrek movie as a benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread