Cops found our street racing website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliotness

Established Member
kneedragger said:
Magnet will not work all of the time and chances of this kid shredding his hard drive are about the same as chances there is no evidence somewhere. Realistically, the Police may not pay to have data recovery done once they find out the price.

What price are you talking about. Feds will do it for free to help out their brethren... Trust me. ;-)

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
Elliotness said:
What price are you talking about. Feds will do it for free to help out their brethren... Trust me. ;-)
There usually is a cost associated with this. Just like most cops are unlikely to pull prints on simple vandalism. At least, that's how it was explained to me. They are, technically a for profit organization.

You would also be surprised how many data retrieval experts are private contractors too. The FBI has consultants just like any other organization.

jshen

Established Member
Not exactly

kneedragger said:
There usually is a cost associated with this. Just like most cops are unlikely to pull prints on simple vandalism. At least, that's how it was explained to me. They are, technically a for profit organization.

You would also be surprised how many data retrieval experts are private contractors too. The FBI has consultants just like any other organization.

Yes and guess who pays the bill....the defendant...it's called restitution and court costs....As to consultants....
They provide the bills....defendant provides payment.........

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
jshen said:
Yes and guess who pays the bill....the defendant...it's called restitution and court costs....As to consultants....
They provide the bills....defendant provides payment.........
What if the defendant is indigent?

XtremeAceX

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If the video is indeed 100% computer generated then no crime has been committed with regard to traffic code.

But after a drive is ghosted and the computer techs pull it apart using their high end software and it is found not to be computer generated then you are screwed.

Remember you can put any caveat you want on your site or videos. First it must be lawful and second it must be accurate. Just because you post that it is "computer generated" doesnt mean it is believable.

just kinda something i was wondering.. If you put a copyright on the site against downloading the video's (assuming the average person viewing the vids for entertainment) can you use that to protect your video from being taken off the site?

please dont flame me.. i dont even take Street Racing vids.. but it was just something i didnt know the answer to. :beer:

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Breaking the Law ?

jshen said:
Yes...if you post your racing and I can prove it's you and I can prove venue and it's within the statute of limitations...it's admissible. Why would you want make evidence against you. We have video surveillance in banks for a reason...they tape crimes. In your case, you taped your own.

If I know it's you...guess what...I'll have a search warrant issued for your computer(s)..and all CDs/DVD, extra drives, etc. and our computer techs will ghost your drive and discs and recover everything you think you've erased..Yes, we can subpoena records from the server. It gets worse, YOU get to pay the court costs of my doing all of the above if your convicted...as well as fines, license suspension...etc. By the way, in you are involved in a crime in which a computer is used...i.e. posting racing...I don't think you would see it again. If it's not seized..it's given by you to the state...as a condition of staying out of jail.......Thank you!

You might keep in the back of your mind...we are not stupid..Some of us actually went to college...grad school..law school.
Isn't adding anything aftermarket to your exhaust Breaking the law ?

2003 White Cobra
" Magnaflow cat back" = Noise pollution
"Bassani baffles w/Thermo-Tec wrap"= Emissions
Steeda CAI
MGW
Chromies
Eurolights 9007 & 9005 " Altering lights "
???????????????????? Law ?????????????????? :poke:

Elliotness

Established Member
kneedragger said:

Okay, I work for a Federal Agency I'm on the Cyber Crimes task force. We will, and have done numerous computer forensic examinations for free. In fact, we have never charged an agency to do an exam. There are other agencies that will also do exams for free. FBI and Secret Service to name a few.

FYI: The FBI have their own Computer Forensics Agents (CFAs) just like we do. They do their own exams. When they get bogged down we do exams for them. We all play nice in the sandbox,,,,,,,, sometimes.

Now back on point. You can be arrested, charged and convicted for street racing if they identify your car in a racing video. They will investigate and put the pieces together. It's what investigators do. ;-)

Last edited:

numbaonestunna

Established Member
here's the solution...

T-Bolt said:
Reformat the servers, rip out the harddrives, smash them, then rub them with magnets. It'd make it very hard for the po-po to get anything off a disk after that kind of thing. Still, if the vids are saved and they get a plate, you are screwed. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Boot to knoppix cd. Type in the following at the command prompt.

for i in `seq 1 35`; do dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda; done

They won't bother to get the hard drive data back after you do that, it will be much too painful and expensive.

jshen

Established Member
No

BUNKY said:
Isn't adding anything aftermarket to your exhaust Breaking the law ?

2003 White Cobra
" Magnaflow cat back" = Noise pollution
"Bassani baffles w/Thermo-Tec wrap"= Emissions
Steeda CAI
MGW
Chromies
Eurolights 9007 & 9005 " Altering lights "
???????????????????? Law ?????????????????? :poke:

My Magnaflow passed noise standards here.
The baffles..helped lower "noise", hence why I installed them...no effect on pollution.
Lights are legal and needed...Here you cannot move lights to alter pattern..i/e/ increase to oncoming drivers or mount higher..

So I'm Ok...by the way I don't drink & drive either...I'll stay out of jail...you're destined to see bars....jail bars......

jshen

Established Member
No Problem

kneedragger said:
What if the defendant is indigent?

We have an easy payment plan....installments while you're on probation/parole....By the way we do investigations on that issue as well...and my people are REAL good at finding assets.....

jshen

Established Member
Murder/Homicide not a big deal to you?

Keith.red.mach1 said:
Its nice to know all the time spent prosecuting street racers with all the other problems out there.

Two clowns..idiots..raced and killed an 82 year man two weeks ago...[see my above post] Tell his daughter and grandchildren that line....I suggest they'd hand you your teeth on a platter.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Keith.red.mach1 said:
Its nice to know all the time spent prosecuting street racers with all the other problems out there.

It's just that prosecuting street racers pays better. We hardly make any money on homicides, rapes, robberies, all that other boring stuff. :beer:

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
jshen said:
My Magnaflow passed noise standards here.
The baffles..helped lower "noise", hence why I installed them...no effect on pollution.
Lights are legal and needed...Here you cannot move lights to alter pattern..i/e/ increase to oncoming drivers or mount higher..

So I'm Ok...by the way I don't drink & drive either...I'll stay out of jail...you're destined to see bars....jail bars......
Did you take it to get inspected for the noise ?
We need one of those around here . that will never happen
most times it is just hey that's too loud here's $100 fine sucker
But i haven't got one of those fines either you have it easy cop or not in MD they will be on you for looking the wrong way.
No jail time here :read: know too many people .
and only when i help out if ya catch my drift .

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
jshen said:
With very few exceptions...traffic violations are either misdemeanor or felony grade. Racing is a crime here and if caught here...you'll be treated as a criminal. The officer may let you go with a ticket..[ He has every right to book you in the local jail ]...but that doesn't mean you'll be walking out the courthouse with just a fine..Here, you could get some quality time with..."Bubba"

Maybe in GA tickets are all M's of F's but here in NY most are violations with only a handfull being M's and even fewer being F's.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
mswaim said:
It's just that prosecuting street racers pays better. We hardly make any money on homicides, rapes, robberies, all that other boring stuff. :beer:

:lol:

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Keith.red.mach1 said:

I wouldn't do that if I were you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread