Cops found our street racing website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmodman

Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
They need to look into setting up tracks so people can race legally. But instead they just focus all the time and money to just making laws that are still going to be broken because their is no alternative.

Quite true. When I first started racing in the sixties there were seven 1/4 mile strips within easy driving distance. But as population densities increased along with real estate prices, the strips got sold (or were forced to close) and soon there were no more drag strips. As the number of strips dropped the number of street races I attended increased. I only stopped racing after two guys that I knew pulled out their "9's" to settle an argument about cheating. Too many bangers had started to race. The last track that I raced at was the original Irwindale Dragstrip and that was back in the 80's.

Kids will always want to race their cars. So you can either try to stop street racing. Good luck with that. If you increase the penalties to the point where the kids are afraid of loosing their cars some will stop racing. But some will defend their property with lethal force. Either by running and killing someone or just by "killing the messenger" And since the LEO is the messenger the first time it happens anyone with a modified car doing five over the limit is going to be looked upon as a terrorist.

How about the local, state, and federal government building a few drag, roadrace, and top end tracks for the "people" to race on. It would only take a tiny percentage of the local, state, and federal budgets. I can think of a few programs that could afford to be trimmed. Wouldn't it be wonderfull if the government gave the people a place to do what they want, rather than telling them that "you can't do that here", and here's your ticket.

Flame vest on ;-)

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
oldmodman said:
Quite true. When I first started racing in the sixties there were seven 1/4 mile strips within easy driving distance. But as population densities increased along with real estate prices, the strips got sold (or were forced to close) and soon there were no more drag strips. As the number of strips dropped the number of street races I attended increased. I only stopped racing after two guys that I knew pulled out their "9's" to settle an argument about cheating. Too many bangers had started to race. The last track that I raced at was the original Irwindale Dragstrip and that was back in the 80's.

Kids will always want to race their cars. So you can either try to stop street racing. Good luck with that. If you increase the penalties to the point where the kids are afraid of loosing their cars some will stop racing. But some will defend their property with lethal force. Either by running and killing someone or just by "killing the messenger" And since the LEO is the messenger the first time it happens anyone with a modified car doing five over the limit is going to be looked upon as a terrorist.

How about the local, state, and federal government building a few drag, roadrace, and top end tracks for the "people" to race on. It would only take a tiny percentage of the local, state, and federal budgets. I can think of a few programs that could afford to be trimmed. Wouldn't it be wonderfull if the government gave the people a place to do what they want, rather than telling them that "you can't do that here", and here's your ticket.

Flame vest on ;-)

Must have been a great group of guys, carrying handguns to a "friendly racing event".

Your logic is correct to a point. Our legislature will continue to ramp up penalties which will deter most of the would-be racers. The ones who ignore the penalties and continue to race on public streets do so willingly and with premeditation so if they decide to try "killing the messenger" I'm sure we as LEO's will be more than happy to provide the appropriate response.

Afterall, they don't pay us to lose and we rarely do. :beer:

oldmodman

Established Member
mswaim said:
Must have been a great group of guys, carrying handguns to a "friendly racing event".

Like I said it was only when the "gang bangers" started street racing that this insane behavior started. And that's when I quit. Back in the late sixties and early seventies I would race for ten or twenty dollars, but these characters were slapping down from 500 to 5000 on a race. One guy actually showed up with a blown alchohol rail. That was a great night, he ran 200 mph on Pershing Drive at the end of the LAX runway.
It used to be a great social event. Even the police would come by and check out the cars. Times sure have changed. All I can say is I am glad I got it out of my system thirty years ago. It sucks to be young today.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
kneedragger said:
If it's gotten this far, there is no point in taking it down. Chances are they have what they need by now. They can always subpoena the servers and if you try to wipe the disks, they will get the data back anyhow. You'd be surprised what you can pull off of reformatted hard drives. The blocks are still there, they just need to be put together.

They can't get anything off of shards.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
oldmodman said:
All I can say is I am glad I got it out of my system thirty years ago. It sucks to be young today.

My sentiments exactly.

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
They need to look into setting up tracks so people can race legally. But instead they just focus all the time and money to just making laws that are still going to be broken because their is no alternative.

There are 3 strips I know of within 3 hours of where I live and I'm sure there are plenty that I don't know about. That is a piss poor excuse for street racing.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
kneedragger said:
It won't work. My company sued a guy who gave out our client list. His HD had been reformatted and a different OS had been loaded on it. Before he trashed the drive, he wrote a large size file over all tracks and then reformatted and reloaded an OS.

We brought in a guy who works with the FBI on computer forensic cases in St. Louis.

He got everything back. I work with computers all day long and I would have thought there was no way. I am now convinced that will never get away, no matter what you do.

In addition to the above, I have heard that the only true way to completely void all information past writing all zeroes to the drive via DOS is to totally destroy the platters...i.e. not just drilling but physical removal of the magnetic media coating on the platter. A belt sander comes to mind.

I'm sure that the DoD has a procedure for destroying these drives...

jshen

Established Member
DOD "standards"

They do..and you can purchase over the counter software that ellegedly will erase beyond DoD standards...For example, EasTech Eraser claims they can do that. However, I find govt stays above the curve..with technology and I doubt there is anything short of melting drive in a furnace that would prevent govt if there is a need to know.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
oldmodman said:
All I can say is I am glad I got it out of my system thirty years ago. It sucks to be young today.
Well said! :bowdown:

I 'race' my friends - just for fun, and we do it on open roads, we don't do drag races and try to get top speed, we do fun little 45 minute jaunts up the sea to sky in the mid afternoon to squamish and back - we drive sanely.
Now, open track racing requires a helmet, and maybe $60 entrance fee. That's pretty steep, especially because helmets aren't cheap either...
How the hell would I be able to afford that every weekend?
Sorry, but honestly as long as tracks still cost that much, people will street race. The fact is that you run the risk of a ticket, sure, but often you can offset the cost of that ticket by the money you save - you don't get caught very often street racing

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
mswaim said:

Your logic is correct to a point. Our legislature will continue to ramp up penalties which will deter most of the would-be racers. The ones who ignore the penalties and continue to race on public streets do so willingly and with premeditation so if they decide to try "killing the messenger" I'm sure we as LEO's will be more than happy to provide the appropriate response.

Afterall, they don't pay us to lose and we rarely do. :beer:

Will deter most of the would be racers? I disagree strongly. It will deter some, but most are still going to race on the street anyway. Most kids don't comprehend the consequences until after it happens.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
There are 3 strips I know of within 3 hours of where I live and I'm sure there are plenty that I don't know about. That is a piss poor excuse for street racing.

Not everyone is as fortunte as you.

slvRsrpnt

on my 5th 'stang
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:

3 hours? really? that's it???!! :rolleyes:
That's a long way, bro. You're not helping your cause with
that statement. :lol:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
Well said! :bowdown:

I 'race' my friends - just for fun, and we do it on open roads, we don't do drag races and try to get top speed, we do fun little 45 minute jaunts up the sea to sky in the mid afternoon to squamish and back - we drive sanely.
Now, open track racing requires a helmet, and maybe $60 entrance fee. That's pretty steep, especially because helmets aren't cheap either...
How the hell would I be able to afford that every weekend?
Sorry, but honestly as long as tracks still cost that much, people will street race. The fact is that you run the risk of a ticket, sure, but often you can offset the cost of that ticket by the money you save - you don't get caught very often street racing

You could always buy an X-box and race your friend over the internet. :lol1:

Seriously, though, in this forum section, your post will either get torn too shreds or it's to far off to even bother with. The offsetting the cost of an occasional ticket you mentioned is not addressing the danger to innocent by standards and the fact that if you get an insane fine, a year long suspension and a felony on your record! :eek: Felonies suq when you are going for a job or loan or rental interview.

Last edited:

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
JoeNashville said:
In addition to the above, I have heard that the only true way to completely void all information past writing all zeroes to the drive via DOS is to totally destroy the platters...i.e. not just drilling but physical removal of the magnetic media coating on the platter. A belt sander comes to mind.

I'm sure that the DoD has a procedure for destroying these drives...

It's called a degaussing machine... and there are other ways... several low level formats (factory format - much more that just format c:\) will erase a drive.

Steeltwo

Established Member
mswaim said:
"killing the messenger" I'm sure we as LEO's will be more than happy to provide the appropriate response.
you might want to rephrase this

I truely hope no one that is sane would want to kill another human.
self defense is fine, but being HAPPY about having to take a life.....

hope you see my thought on this.

Steeltwo

Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
It's called a degaussing machine... and there are other ways... several low level formats (factory format - much more that just format c:\) will erase a drive.

degaussing will work.....or does it :)

low level formats.

first lets make a bet.

Give it a go once, see if the data can be retrieved. Then pay me when I find your college term paper :)

Steeltwo

Established Member
Elliotness said:
In real life, people do many things to attempt to cover things on their computer. For instance, renaming, resizing, cropping a picture on your computer will alter the hash value (digital fingerprint) of the picture.

Do you think that would make someone not prosecutible. Absolutely not.

alot of people think because it was altered it is not admissable. Those people are retarded.

it is the same idea as pictures(film and digital)
you are altering the media and formatting no matter what. Whether it being pulled from a negative or being pulled off a memory card.

what I used to get the pictures off for the hd altered the format, but that doesn't matter.
God I hate having to do those things. I make one of them(ada's) stand around to confirm the data.

shit makes me sick

Lawman85

Banned
Steeltwo said:
you might want to rephrase this

I truely hope no one that is sane would want to kill another human.
self defense is fine, but being HAPPY about having to take a life.....

hope you see my thought on this.

Your correct that no one is happy taking another human life. Unfortunately, in our job, we have to make the decision everyday before we clock in that if we need to, we can take a life. I know what mswaim mean by this and it is going to be misinterpreted here by people who are not LEO's.

As far as the government building race tracks.....yeah right!!!! Race tracks are privately owned and the government is not going to get into that competition. I wouldn't want my tax dollars paying for that while they are cutting the budget on education for my daughter and son. If you want a racetrack, go build one and run it. If you not, then go to an open one.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
Steeltwo - I understand your concern but don't interpret what he said literally. The guy is an officer- he puts his ass on the line every day to SAVE lives, not take them.

jshen

Established Member
We appreciate it!

Steeltwo said:
I make one of them(ada's) stand around to confirm the data.

I am very appreciative to you officers who do that! We don't mind standing around as you build a better case for all of us. LEOs and ADAs are an equal partnership helping each other....Again, thanks.. :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread