Cops revving = entrapment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Since there are many cops rolling around in unmarked fast cars (i.e. Magnums, Chargers, SRT4s, Cobras, S197 GTs etc), is it illegal for them to entice a race by revving and doing the usual things to get a street race going? I would imagine it would be close the line of entrapment, but is it?

Here is a scenario. You pull up to a light and you see a black SRT8 Charger. It has a mild exhaust and starts revving at you. You rev back. The light turns green and he hits the gas and floors it, but you don't at first, then nail it after the Charger has already engaged in a race style launch from the light. The next thing you know you are over on the side of the road facing race charges. I can see how it would be close to entrapment, but since he isn't FORCING you to race, does that make it not entrapment? Would it be seen as on the same line as a cop dressed as a prostitute in a prostitute sting?

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Its not forced but it most definitely is enticed.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Forced you to race? Why the hell are you grasping for this lame excuse? If he scratched his balls would that force you to mastrubate in public?

Last edited by a moderator:

tistan

Established Member
I would think that it would be the same as an undercover leo going to a cocaine addict and holding out a bag of cocaine and asking if he wanted some.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
that is not entrapment in the least.

If you don't have the self control to ignore some idiot revving and leaving stop lights in an aggressive manner, you should not have a drivers license, and you most certainly should not have a sports car.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
It's not entrapment. Entrapment is them persuading you to do something you wouldn't have otherwise done. Revving their engine is not persuading you to race, it's giving you a common sign that they want to race.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Since there are many cops rolling around in unmarked fast cars (i.e. Magnums, Chargers, SRT4s, Cobras, S197 GTs etc), is it illegal for them to entice a race by revving and doing the usual things to get a street race going? I would imagine it would be close the line of entrapment, but is it?

Here is a scenario. You pull up to a light and you see a black SRT8 Charger. It has a mild exhaust and starts revving at you. You rev back. The light turns green and he hits the gas and floors it, but you don't at first, then nail it after the Charger has already engaged in a race style launch from the light. The next thing you know you are over on the side of the road facing race charges. I can see how it would be close to entrapment, but since he isn't FORCING you to race, does that make it not entrapment? Would it be seen as on the same line as a cop dressed as a prostitute in a prostitute sting?

The definition of entrapments is
The inducement by the government for someone to commit a crime from someone not predisposed to do so. The defense requires that the defendant must show that she would not have committed the crime but for the fraud or undue persuasion of the government.

The key is that the person was induced into committing the crime and it has to be a crime that they never would have done but for the inducement. If you have raced on the street before, you are predisposed to it.

Revving is not considered a reasonable inducement, as no words are spoken and the conduct is not sufficient to communicate an inducement.

Next, there had to be some fraud or undue influence by the government. That means they must give you some reason to think it is okay to commit the crime or that you wont be arrested or that if you dont do it, something bad will happen to you.

THIS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ENTRAPMENT.

02reaper

Established Member
*removed by moderator* You have been told not to post in the Donut Shop again.

Greg_Hager

Established Member
Very well said Adam.

At least this isn't the entrapment argument that I get when I don't have my lights on while running radar.

txyaloo

Established Member
Removed by moderator

And what about the narcotics officer that purchases drugs? Or the vice officer that picks up prostitutes? Should they also be charged with those crimes?

Your statement doesn't hold water...

jshen

Established Member
A very simple answer to this question may be--is reving your engine illegal?
NO- unless the noise shows illegal mufflers or vio. noise standards.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Adam is correct...and much "quicker to the post" than an aging me.

The entrapment defense consists of three distinct elements: (1) the idea for the commission of the crime must originate with the state agent; (2) the crime must be induced by the agent's undue persuasion, incitement, or deceit; and (3) the defendant must not be predisposed to commit the crime.

Once again Adam- you beat me to it.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
you would not be forced to race, unless your car automaticaly nails it when a car beside you does.

DanTheMan18

Established Member
You already answered your own question in the first post. It's no different than the cops posing as hookers, or drug dealers. No one's forcing you to do it, they're simply providing the scenario to see how you'd respond to it.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member

It may not be entrapment, but I would think that cop would be as equally guilty of street racing as you were. In my opinion, unless the cop had his lights on, him revving and pulling away from a light like that would be him street racing.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
It may not be entrapment, but I would think that cop would be as equally guilty of street racing as you were. In my opinion, unless the cop had his lights on, him revving and pulling away from a light like that would be him street racing.

exactly right, but do you think the cop would write himself a ticket :dw::dw::dw::dw: HELL NO.

This reminds me of " Citizens Arrest " on the Andy Griffith show :lol1::lol1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread