Cops revving = entrapment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
is it illeagle to rev back but not run him lol

sure is. its defined as "instigating a streetrace".

its kinda entrapment because of the whole male psyche behind revving at a stop light, but in reality its not. just because someone revs at you does not mean you have to run them.

helluvasnake

Established Member
Instead of enticing people to commit crimes why don't they catch the ones ale ready commiting them?

Last edited:

badboysbailagnt

Established Member

its kinda entrapment because of the whole male psyche behind revving at a stop light, but in reality its not. just because someone revs at you does not mean you have to run them.

wow you cant fart wrong now adays without something being illeagle

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I can see where he would be from the way you explain it, but like stated, the drug dealer/prostitute thing no laws were actually broken before the arrest. In this situation the officer has broken laws, how would that be dealt with? Would it? Or is the officer exempt due to being on duty?

With the drug dealer scenario, the officer is in possession of a distribution quantity of actual narcotics before the arrest. So, if not exempt, he would be chargeable. The law makes the officer exempt from prosecution when in the scope of his employment.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member

Since you are from CA, can you post the vehicle code section that specifically defines revving ones engine as "Instigating a streetrace" in any way, shape or form???

That is total crap, much like all of the information being posted here by the non-LEO's.

Just to clarify; the original posters scenario would never occur since officers engaged in such operations would not be accelerating rapidly, or spinning their tires. It's simply not needed, since most street racers will willingly do what they always do with very little or no effort on the part of the officer. All the officer has to do is throw a few revs, make eye contact and smile.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
When you boil it all down to the basics, I agree that it is not entrapment. Someone said something earlier along the lines of "if the cop takes off fast and exceeds the speed limit and its not untill then that you give chase, he would be breaking the law himself". This is true, but when it comes time to go to court and you tell the judge what happend, its the cops word against yours. The judge will ALWAYS side with the L.E.O. This is from my experience. I dont know anyone that has had their word believed over that of cop.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
that is not entrapment in the least.

If you don't have the self control to ignore some idiot revving and leaving stop lights in an aggressive manner, you should not have a drivers license, and you most certainly should not have a sports car.

Did I ever once say me? I have had only 1 speeding ticket in my entire life. It seems on every post there has to be the one guy taking a tone.

Forced you to race? Why the hell are you grasping for this lame excuse? If he scratched his balls would that force you to mastrubate in public?

Make that 2 people....

I stated I would think it was entrapment, but I was unsure and have always wondered. I would speculate as an undercover RT Charger would go by.

Last edited:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
It's not entrapment (as we clearly know) - it amazes me how many people argue this. But just in case there are a few more people who aren't convinced from the examples given, instead of the drug dealer scenario or whatever, think of it as a store owner leaving valuable merchandise out on their counter top, such as jewelry. The store owner then steps away to the back room leaving it unattended for a long period of time and watches who nabs it. The cop revving is the jewelry and you are the thief. :shrug:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Since you are from CA, can you post the vehicle code section that specifically defines revving ones engine as "Instigating a streetrace" in any way, shape or form???

That is total crap, much like all of the information being posted here by the non-LEO's.

Just to clarify; the original posters scenario would never occur since officers engaged in such operations would not be accelerating rapidly, or spinning their tires. It's simply not needed, since most street racers will willingly do what they always do with very little or no effort on the part of the officer. All the officer has to do is throw a few revs, make eye contact and smile.

Well you being from CA yourself I know your aware of how hard LEO's crack down on street racers etc. I know for a fact, If I was to sit at a light and just rev my engine with a cop next to me, I GUARANTEE he would pull me over. Why is peeling out an "exibition of speed" hell when your sitting there spinning your not breaking any speed records :shrug:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Actually after I posted that you got me thinking so I did a search, found this.

10.52.030 Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
“County” means the county of Riverside and its respective agencies and departments.
“Illegal motor vehicle speed contest(s)” or “illegal exhibition of speed(s) means any speed contest or exhibition of speed referred to in California Vehicle Code Sections 23109(a) and 21309(c).
“Motor vehicle” means a vehicle as defined in California Vehicle Code Section 415.
“Preparations” means those preparations for the illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed including, but not limited to, situations in which: (1) a group of vehicles or individuals has arrived at a location for the purpose of participating in or being spectators at the event; (2) a group of individuals has lined one or both sides of a public street or highway for the purpose of participating in or being a spectator at the events; (3) a group of individuals has gathered on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof for the purpose of participating in or being a spectator at the event; (4) one or more individuals has impeded the free public use of a public street or highway by actions, words, or physical barriers for the purpose of conducting the event; (5) two or more vehicles have lined up with motors running for an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed; (6) one or more drivers is revving his/her engine or spinning his/her tires in preparation for the event; or (7) an individual is stationed at or near one or more motor vehicles serving as a race starter.
“Spectator” means any individual who is present at an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed, or at a location where preparations are being made for such activities, for the purpose of viewing, observing, watching, or witnessing the event as it progresses. “Spectator” includes any individual at the location of the event without regard to whether the individual arrived at the event by driving a vehicle, riding as a passenger in a vehicle, walking, or arriving by some other means. (Ord. 848 § 3, 2005)

So does that mean you get a ticket for reving?

siksvt03cobra

Established Member
This looks like a very unclear topic, and I think it could be won if fought in court. I feel that it is right on the edge of entrapment. With undercover officers posing as prostitutes, most of the perps they catch, i would say 9 out of 10 times are going out specifically looking for a prostitute. In the case of the drag racing thing, not all people are going out and driving around looking for a street race. However, if you have a car that is somewhat fast, and a car pulls up to you reving its engine and launching, more than likely you are going to do the same thing. I am guilty of this myself. I do not get in my car and say, "hey lets stop at every light and see who wants to race," but I have caught up with people that launched on me. I would say fight the issue in court, but i guess it would have to depend on the town or city you are in to see if you get off. In my particular town, I think something like that would lean towards entrapment and get dropped. Undercovers around here just hang out around car clubs, ect and find out where, when, and who are involved in the street races.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Actually after I posted that you got me thinking so I did a search, found this.

10.52.030 Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
“County” means the county of Riverside and its respective agencies and departments.
“Illegal motor vehicle speed contest(s)” or “illegal exhibition of speed(s) means any speed contest or exhibition of speed referred to in California Vehicle Code Sections 23109(a) and 21309(c).
“Motor vehicle” means a vehicle as defined in California Vehicle Code Section 415.
“Preparations” means those preparations for the illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed including, but not limited to, situations in which: (1) a group of vehicles or individuals has arrived at a location for the purpose of participating in or being spectators at the event; (2) a group of individuals has lined one or both sides of a public street or highway for the purpose of participating in or being a spectator at the events; (3) a group of individuals has gathered on private property open to the general public without the consent of the owner, operator, or agent thereof for the purpose of participating in or being a spectator at the event; (4) one or more individuals has impeded the free public use of a public street or highway by actions, words, or physical barriers for the purpose of conducting the event; (5) two or more vehicles have lined up with motors running for an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed; (6) one or more drivers is revving his/her engine or spinning his/her tires in preparation for the event; or (7) an individual is stationed at or near one or more motor vehicles serving as a race starter.
“Spectator” means any individual who is present at an illegal motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed, or at a location where preparations are being made for such activities, for the purpose of viewing, observing, watching, or witnessing the event as it progresses. “Spectator” includes any individual at the location of the event without regard to whether the individual arrived at the event by driving a vehicle, riding as a passenger in a vehicle, walking, or arriving by some other means. (Ord. 848 § 3, 2005)

So does that mean you get a ticket for reving?

1) That is not the vehicle code; that is an ordinance enforceable in that county only.

2) The sentence you highlighted is one the author's definitions, nothing more.

3) It is but one element and as such does not constitute a violation of the vehicle code or the Riverside county ordinance.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Well you being from CA yourself I know your aware of how hard LEO's crack down on street racers etc. I know for a fact, If I was to sit at a light and just rev my engine with a cop next to me, I GUARANTEE he would pull me over. Why is peeling out an "exibition of speed" hell when your sitting there spinning your not breaking any speed records :shrug:

He may indeed pull you over to see if you are experiencing mechanical problems, however you have not broken any laws or ordinances so there would not be a citation - only concern that your gas pedal must be stuck (not to mention he may think you are a bit touched in the head for revving your engine while parked along side his cruiser). :burnout: As for the "peeling out" question; do you really need an explanation of why that constitues an exibition of speed violation? :shrug::idea:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Precedent is not set at the trial court level. It is not stare decisis. Additionally, if the elements are not met and a jury nullifies, it will be appealed or the verdict set aside.

Also known as the state being sore losers because they were legally out maneuvered. I would rather see a guilty man go free than an innocent man be imprisoned ***edited by moderator***

I try to be positive and informative in my posts here in donut shop. However, I feel the street racing legislation and subsequent enforcement in Florida has gone way too far for a problem that is relatively small in scope of effect on society. All of those DUI checkpoints I used to see are now replaced with Tampa PD and Pinellas County sitting at the bridges to maybe write 10 tickets and impound one car.

Meanwhile, drunks are pouring out of white trash cities over in pinellas county and all the "hustlas and playas" from Ybor city are running into people because they are loaded, but lo and behold! The majority of the police on the road from 11pm-4am on weekends are on street racing details.

I am disappointed in Law Enforcement for not pressing legislators harder to steer away from the politically enticing problem of street racing in favor of trying to solve the true epidemic this country has: DUI. Anyone who says it is not the duty of law enforcement to influence law only enforce it, is taking the easy way out.

No matter who gives you the orders, it does not morally exclude you from the consequences of them. Street racing is a crime, and when caught should be punished as such, I have no problem with that. My problem is with the valuable police assets being wasted on a problem that poses very little threat to society in comparison to the one that is being looked at less and less.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshen

Established Member
I am disappointed in Law Enforcement for not pressing legislators harder to steer away from the politically enticing problem of street racing in favor of trying to solve the true epidemic this country has: DUI. Anyone who says it is not the duty of law enforcement to influence law only enforce it, is taking the easy way out.

No matter who gives you the orders, it does not morally exclude you from the consequences of them. Street racing is a crime, and when caught should be punished as such, I have no problem with that. My problem is with the valuable police assets being wasted on a problem that poses very little threat to society in comparison to the one that is being looked at less and less.

Why don't you lead the way and push your legislators for change? From one who's been doing this for years, trying get change from lawmakers is tough. Instead of internet complaining...spend your time talking and emailing your local govt people. Police cannot evoke change..They are but one agency in this screaming mess of state govt. Good luck n your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread