Cops revving = entrapment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

95Proof

Established Member
What is considered an offense? Revving back? Leaving hard? Leaving at all? You looked over when he revved? Do you have to have a verbal confirmation? This is the only concern I have with the whole under cover street racing crack down. I DO NOT CONDONE STREET RACING.

Last edited:

rubber duck

Established Member
*removed by moderator* Follow the rules when posting or not at all.

Last edited:

Sny714

Established Member
This used to happen over here on Long Island. Theres a road, 7-8 miles long, 3 lanes each side, where people would cruise and race all the time. After awhile this unmarked GTP(which was pretty quick at the time) used to try to get people to race and then pull them over when they did. It was usually imports getting pulled over because faster cars wouldnt race the GTP.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
how high would something like that have to go, example Bill Gates is the "accused" and has more than enough money to take it as high as he wants to go..(probably all the way)

It would have to be at least a lower level appellate level decision. These are usually mounted by groups, such as the ACLU, who are also on the look out for cases to join in on.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
What is considered an offense? Revving back? Leaving hard? Leaving at all? You looked over when he revved? Do you have to have a verbal confirmation? This is the only concern I have with the whole under cover street racing crack down. I DO NOT CONDONE STREET RACING.

Since you and others are not comprehending the post I made defining entrapment, I submit the following: Simply imagine the car that revved was not a cop by another racer. Did the other racer make you do anything you arent already predisposed to doing? Did the other racer force you into the situation? Did the other racer use undue influence or fraud to get you to race? The answers are all NO. And neither did the U.C. officer. You decided of your own accord.

Depending on how the statute is written in the particular state, it will define what the driver needs to do in order to be found guilty of racing in that jurisdiction.

95Proof

Established Member
I already posted I agreed it was NOT entrapment. I comprehend fine, I did not clarify in my original post I was not challenging your position on entrapment. I should have made clear the prostitute example was not yours.

Last edited:

BlackMach1ne

Banned
Im still gonna disagree because where Im from revving your engine at the light is breaking the law. This is no different than a cop offering you cocaine.

97cobra1

Established Member
So, assuming the cop revs and leaves from the light balls out, and exceeds the speed limit while trying to entice you, and you take the bait, does that make him exept still adam?

I can see where he would be from the way you explain it, but like stated, the drug dealer/prostitute thing no laws were actually broken before the arrest. In this situation the officer has broken laws, how would that be dealt with? Would it? Or is the officer exempt due to being on duty?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
So, assuming the cop revs and leaves from the light balls out, and exceeds the speed limit while trying to entice you, and you take the bait, does that make him exept still adam?

I can see where he would be from the way you explain it, but like stated, the drug dealer/prostitute thing no laws were actually broken before the arrest. In this situation the officer has broken laws, how would that be dealt with? Would it? Or is the officer exempt due to being on duty?

Or even better, what if the 2nd car doesn't take the bait, and the cop just takes off all by himself. That would still be enough to be considered racing, and in this case, no civilian had broken a law, so it was all for nothing. It's not even like the cop would be getting a dangerous street racer off the road.

97cobra1

Established Member
Well, i'd assume the cop would accelerate to the speed limit or close and let off, if the cop is stupid enough to continue on "racing" himself the question goes from is he right or wrong to should he even be a LEO imo.

SilverELEX

Established Member
Provide a good argument, instead of just dropping an opinion without anything to back it.

A cop posing as a hooker to see if you're going to try to pick her up is no different than revving at you in an unmarked car to see if you're going to try and race him.

OK sure will Mr. Debatecoach. Say an officer sells a scumbag a few rocks. Usually said scumbag is arrested almost immediately and the drugs are recovered. As I see it when a cop tries to entice some one to race, he poses a real threat to hurting someone just the same as the person hes trying to race. I m not too sure i can be more clear.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Well, i'd assume the cop would accelerate to the speed limit or close and let off, if the cop is stupid enough to continue on "racing" himself the question goes from is he right or wrong to should he even be a LEO imo.

Well, what you have to keep in mind, is that I believe the law states that just accelerating to get a competitive advantage is considered racing (or something close to that). This does not require breaking the speed limit, or even squeeling your tires. So by revving and quickly accelerating away from the light, the cop had broken the law.

ChuckV

Established Member
I've honestly never heard of anyone getting a ticket for this... couldn't find anything on google either. Has this ever happened, or is it just speculation?

DanTheMan18

Established Member
OK sure will Mr. Debatecoach. Say an officer sells a scumbag a few rocks. Usually said scumbag is arrested almost immediately and the drugs are recovered. As I see it when a cop tries to entice some one to race, he poses a real threat to hurting someone just the same as the person hes trying to race. I m not too sure i can be more clear.

Debate coach? Uhm, sure.. :rollseyes I was just wanting more information from your view. That's all. It even made me think, so it wasn't a wasted post.

I guess I can see both sides.

So in the end.. is it entrapment? No. Unless he pulls his gun out and tells you to accelerate, tries to convice you to race instead of just asking "wanna run 'em," or anything similar to these situations, then no. It's not. He is not technically "forcing, persuading, or coercing" you to jump on the accelerator.

Do I agree with it? No. After more insight, you can see where regardless of how the race was initiated, it's hard to control what a cars going to do after it takes off for a race. There are many unpredictable variables on the street, and no matter how safe you may think a given scenario is, something can always happen. What happens if the car racing breaks loose when he nails second gear, and wraps himself around a pole? Some would argue that his days were numbered anyways with racing and what not, but it's that specific scenario that took him out.

Not to mention, that regardless of how much training the officer has recieved, there's always the chance that he could lose control of the car when he takes off hard like that.

Just my two cents. Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, just an opinion.

olefafl

Established Member
You would need to check the law in your state to see if the LEO can "race" and not get in trouble.
Someone posted here about a LEO that was tailgating, slowing down & then speeding up to tailgate them again. In that state it was NOT OK for the LEO to tailgate someone even on the job.

What if the 2nd car went after the cop to get a plate number to call in.

jshen

Established Member
Before this thread gets out of hand ...WHO personally has had an undercover officer rev AND THEN run on the light turning?...Please anyone who has personally experienced this...Let me know..

All this speculative stuff is just that..."What if?"

..Adam and I both posted the law on entrapment..and you have the answer...but as to the running a race ..PLEASE..first hand experience only need comment.

Last edited:

ImShakn

Established Member
Before this thread gets out of hand ...WHO personally has had an undercover officer rev AND THEN run on the light turning?...Please anyone who has personally experienced this...Let me know..

I don't disagree on the entrapment issue, however I witnessed a situation similar to this.

I like to hang out with several like-minded car owners on Sat. afternoons at a local grocery store. Mainly older car enthusiasts who prefer the show-n-shine scene to the racing scene. A couple of years ago, a young man (early 20s) started frequenting our hangout and was repeatedly asked to leave because he kept trying to get everyone to race. At first he wanted to race for money, then he wanted to race for fun, then he tried insults. He had zero success with actually getting anyone to agree to race. His last attempt was at the light leaving the parking lot. He revved his late-model GTO at a 68 GT500 (driven by a man in his mid-60s) who returned the rev. When the light changed, the GT500 turned left while the GTO tried to leave hard in the straight lane but lost control on the crown of the intersection and crashed into oncoming traffic.

Rumor was that the GTO driver was an undercover officer assigned to a street racing task force. I never attempted to confirm this from a reputable source, however a friend of a friend (you know how that goes) was supposedly arrested by this officer for racing a week earlier. The charges were dropped and his attorney told him it was because the officer was no longer with the department and was not able to testify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread