Corporal Punishment (spanking) of kids: Yay or nay???

Is spanking abuse?

• Hell no!!! Spanking is abuse. People should talk to their kids

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Sure, speaking is a good form of discipline

Votes: 92 95.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prototype007

Established Member
I still dont understand how my dad could unbuckle his belt, take it off, and peel my ass in one fluid movement...he defied physics i swear

LOL, right! I swear I thought it was just a technique you instantly learn when you become a dad or something.

Klay

Established Member
I guess I just don't understand those against spanking kids. Its fine if you don't want to do it but to say other people shouldn't do it because there are alternatives is stupid.

I think that the line between abuse and discipline can get blurred at times. I'm sure there were times I was beat more because my parents were frustrated as opposed to me deserving it. However, those beatings did help me learn to respect my parents and be respectful in general. I had things taken away or was forced to stay in doors sometimes as a form of punishment but that didn't work the same as a spanking.

When a pattern of abuse forms, then I believe action against the parents is warranted. One time a parent goes overboard is not enough in my opinion.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Regardless of the method the message needs to he sent and understood that poor behavior has consequences.

Depending on the severity of the issue, children need to be taught that behavior is not acceptable.

Most reasonable people understand what is an appropriate response. The problem like everything in society is those that sit on the extremes.

Those that go bezerk and truly abuse their children. They are old enough to be able to make judgment calls. I have zero tolerance for them and think they should get everything that is due to them.

The other extreme is the "timeout" affluenza parents. That is also a crime in that it does not prepare children to understand consequences.

I believe everything is best in moderation.

Then throw in our legal system and we generally legislate everything to the lowest common denominator.

Hence this is where we are today.

I do pray and feel for children that are truly abused. Whether it be physical or mental. Those parents deserve Hell IMO.

I am thankful my parents used judgment and moderation with me. It seemed to have worked out just fine.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I read "speaking" on the second option and immediately picked the first. I screwed the poll and should probably be spanked. :(

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Not a fan. I have mentally ill mother who had free rein over how much she "corrected" us because my step dad was too much of a bitch to stop it. It finally stopped when I got between her and my younger brother after she tried slamming him into a dresser after destroying his room for no reason and I'll just say "physically ended it". Eff that bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread