Corporal Punishment (spanking) of kids: Yay or nay???

Is spanking abuse?

• Hell no!!! Spanking is abuse. People should talk to their kids

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Sure, speaking is a good form of discipline

Votes: 92 95.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on spanking kids? Do you think spanking is a form of abuse or discipline? I'm sure most of us grew up getting whipped and will attest to being set straight. But many have also told me that being able to talk to a child (without physically hurting them) is the way to go. What do y'all think.

ps, I almost won on my fantasy this weekend because I couldn't start AP.:bored: But I did see the pictures and would agree if some of you felt they were excessive

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Depends on the kid.

Some kids you can talk to, others dont listen for shit.

And theres a difference between punishment for disciplinary actions and straight up abuse.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
It has it's place.

Spanking and abusing are on two totally different ends of the spectrum.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I just realized the bass ackwardness of the poll. My apologies, I don't think I can edit.

Depends on the kid.

Some kids you can talk to, others dont listen for shit.

And theres a difference between punishment for disciplinary actions and straight up abuse.

You know I definitely agree with this. If you're able solve an issue with words then why not. But I kinda got into it with someone on another board who was yelling that any type of spanking is abuse. I know there are many with those same views

steeltoe

Established Member
You can do just as much abuse with words as you can with a hand or belt only difference you can't see the bruises.

SnakePitRacing

Big Nerd
Established Member
Ughhh. What a tough subject. I have 2 little ones under 4 yrs old. Ive spanked the older one a few times (maybe 4 times) but its more of a light slap. Never something Ive put some weight to. The younger one has gotten his hand slapped 2 or 3 times, but that one is barely a tap. Its more of a tone of voice thing we use. My kids are generally good with a "HEY" and they react accordingly. However........... I had to take in my nephew last summer for the entire summer. Typical story of a shithead kid going down the wrong path. No father figure, mom bought her way out of sticky situations with him. He tried to get crazy with me. After warning him several times about several things, I took him into a room, sat him down, explained my case for his discipline, and I whooped him a few with my belt. I felt bad, but it was something that needed to be done. I let his mom know and she agreed. She was scared to hit him herself, and acknowledged it had to be done. I had to do it one more time for something else a week or so later, but the severity did not increase. Same amount of force, so to speak. Problem solved. A year later and he thanks me for "checking him". We talk weekly about random crap. I know that he respects me and knows that there was no malice behind what I did. I love that kid, and I would do it again if I had to.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah it has its place but you can control a kid without it if you're smart enough. My parent's raised me without a smack to the ass and yelling and I've done alright.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Talking to them, time out, taking things away etc should almost always be what is tried first. I have raised 5 children and I can count on one hand how many times I actually used Corporal Punishment. There were a few things that got my kids spanked or "thumped" - ie: talking back to or being disrespectful to an adult family member for example.

Unless exercise is considered Corporal Punishment lol - my kids did lots of push-ups, Roman chairs, holding soup cans out etc

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it depends on the person doing and receiving the spanking. Different people respond differently and some do not understand where discipline becomes abuse. A little red ass that goes away in a minute is fine; marks, welts, cuts, bruising is abuse.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I'm not against a little physical discipline but it shouldn't involved strong force, or using belts and objects. Just a swift. quick hand to the butt a few times to get their attention. I think it should ALWAYS be last resort too. If you find yourself physically punishing your kids daily you should get help. There has only been a few times either of my kids got a smacked butt when I did of course you feel bad as shit later for doing it.

My latest with my son is not spanking but exercises. One day he couldn't follow rules so I gave him a fair amount of time to think about it in his room. When I went back he still couldn't tell me why he was in trouble or what he's going to do to change it... It's amazing how standing on one leg and squats multiple times got him to think. ;)

Last edited:

snakedoctor

Established Member
I don't know if anyone noticed, but kids going crazy and shooting up schools didn't start till they banned paddling in school. Teachers had the upper hand and the students knew it. It only took me one time in the principals office getting wacked with his paddle that he hung on the wall before I straightened up and didn't think twice about acting out again.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I don't know if anyone noticed, but kids going crazy and shooting up schools didn't start till they banned paddling in school. Teachers had the upper hand and the students knew it. It only took me one time in the principals office getting wacked with his paddle that he hung on the wall before I straightened up and didn't think twice about acting out again.

not quite. it's more a total failure of basic parenting.

oldmodman

Established Member
A lot depends on the severity. A bare hand? Can't do too much damage with that.
A belt? Better not leave any bruising or welts. A 2X4? Now that's where I would draw the line.
And a lot depends on the child's age. I don't understand why people would spank a two year old. But an older child capable of knowing that they had done something wrong, a spanking might get through to them.
But if the punishment is talked about first and the child understands why he or she is being punished, and you are not beating on them in a fit of rage then it might be the correcting method that works for that situation.
I just don't think it should be the first choice, and used for any tiny misstep.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
A lot depends on the severity. A bare hand? Can't do too much damage with that.
A belt? Better not leave any bruising or welts. A 2X4? Now that's where I would draw the line.
And a lot depends on the child's age. I don't understand why people would spank a two year old. But an older child capable of knowing that they had done something wrong, a spanking might get through to them.
But if the punishment is talked about first and the child understands why he or she is being punished, and you are not beating on them in a fit of rage then it might be the correcting method that works for that situation.
I just don't think it should be the first choice, and used for any tiny misstep.

I agree. I think alot of folks spank/whip their kids out of anger. That's where something bad can happen

nxhappy

Established Member
i got the wooden paddle a few times. boy o boy i never did those things again ..... lol

musclefan21

Established Member
I am glad for every ass kicking i received from my parents. I m a better man because of it. And time out wouldnt be enough of a consequence for me and i wouldn't fear from it. Fear is good to a certain degree. I remember not doing some stupid stuff just due to fear of getting my ass kicked at home. Had i done those, i would be in much worse place today. So spanking works and been proven over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread