Corsa Performance Exhaust

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I spoke with the sales guy at corsa. he said they have a GT500 there, just waiting for some more miles to put on it before dyno testing their axle back vs the stocker. He gave me flow #'s for them both.

The stock catback flows 317.2 cfm and the corsa flows 452.1 cfm; a 43% increase. I'd still like to see some companies step up with 3" exhausts.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
I just go the Corsa axle-back for my 06 Mustang GT. Great look and sound. Swapped out the JBA axle-backs. I was somewhat disappointed on the dyno results for the Corsa though. There was no gain whatsoever.

When I dynoed the JBA axle-backs over stock there was no gain. Switching to Corsa's axle-backs was the same result...no gain. My car has an SCT tune as well. A/F ratio stayed exactly at 13.1.

I would have thought the Corsa's would have shown the additional 13 horsepower and 9 lb/ft torque they claim.

But I still like the Corsa's sound over the JBA's. The JBA's had a nice sound when I first put them on but after 7000 miles their sound seemed to get sloppy and droning. But the Corsa's have a nice tight mellow high-quality tone. Absolutely no drone.

I am thinking of ordering the Corsa X-Pipe. Anyone care to offer up what that will do to the sound of the Corsa axle-backs? Deeper? Louder? More HP/TQ?

GLHS837

Established Member
Wait, your only change was the very back part of the exhaust? And you expected a gain? I'm not familiar with the GTs pipes, but most systems, any restriction that might gain from a change are way up front. Seems like expecting a change from swapping the tips.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
GLHS837 said:
Wait, your only change was the very back part of the exhaust? And you expected a gain? I'm not familiar with the GTs pipes, but most systems, any restriction that might gain from a change are way up front. Seems like expecting a change from swapping the tips.

I was under the new GT500 for the first time last night. :rockon: All it appears to need are the mufflers out back behind the axle? The rest of the plumbing looks pretty good from what I could see? The car definitely needs some less restrictive mufflers. (read louder!)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ac427cobra said:
I was under the new GT500 for the first time last night. :rockon: All it appears to need are the mufflers out back behind the axle? The rest of the plumbing looks pretty good from what I could see? The car definitely needs some less restrictive mufflers. (read louder!)

+1

The stock exhaust system up to the axel back muffler setup is pretty good for stock, and only leaves a little room for large gains.

-Jeff

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
GLHS837 said:

That's what Corsa claims on their web site...they advertise that their Corsa axle-backs make gains of 13 horsepower and 9 lb/ft torque. There have been many folks on the various forums on the web claiming they too made such gains on their 05/06 Mustang GT with the Corsa axle-backs.

I am going to add a Corsa X-pipe this week. This is about the last thing I can do that is a simple bolt-on to try to get my GT past 280 RW horses. The only other thing I can try are underdrive pullies and I really don't want to hassle with putting them on.

Anyone have anything on the Corsa X-Pipe?

BTW my GT mods are: CAI, SCT EXCal-II Tune, Corsa axle-backs.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
the same mods in the gt500 net 220rwhp more...umm methinks that justifies the price over the GT mustang.

are you saying that your corsa didn't gain anything over the stock axle back or your JBA setup?

GLHS837

Established Member
For one, I'm always leery of vendor claims. Now, about the flow numbers. If the stockers arent restricting the system significantly, then it doesnt matter how much better the new one flows.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
dgussin1 said:
....are you saying that your corsa didn't gain anything over the stock axle back or your JBA setup?

Yes that is correct. It seems that no matter what axle-backs I have on it the CAI and the tune are the reasons ffor my gain...not the axle-backs.

But I still love the Corsa's axle-backs sound. It is much closer to the stock tone (just a tad louder) rather than the lower toned JBA's...the Corsa axle-backs are much "tighter" in their overall sound.....not having any "sloppy" raspiness as the JBA's developed as more time (or miles) passed. Corsa axle-back has absolutely no drone as the JBA's did.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Sonic Blue GT said:
Yes that is correct. It seems that no matter what axle-backs I have on it the CAI and the tune are the reasons ffor my gain...not the axle-backs.

But I still love the Corsa's axle-backs sound. It is much closer to the stock tone (just a tad louder) rather than the lower toned JBA's...the Corsa axle-backs are much "tighter" in their overall sound.....not having any "sloppy" raspiness as the JBA's developed as more time (or miles) passed. Corsa axle-back has absolutely no drone as the JBA's did.

I went to the Corsa page and I read the advertisement more closely. They refer to the Corsa axle-backs as their Corsa Exhaust System. The HP/TQ gain is associated to the axle-back advertsiement blurb.

However their dynosheet showing the gain shows that the Corsa Exhaust system is both the Corsa axle-backs and the Corsa X-Pipe together.

Then when you go to the X-pipe advertisement you find out that the HP/TQ is actually obtained from the x-pipe because the GT's stock H-Pipe stops crossing the gasses at above 3000 RPM's which presents a bottle-neck, whereas their X-pipe the gas crossing never is prevented no matter what RPM.

They are a bit deceiving with how the advetisement is visually laid out so that you can wrongly conclude the axle-backs are where the gain is made...but I shouldn't be surprised....that's the nature of advertising.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I've got Corsa on my car and it is TOP notch quality. It might not be as loud as some system, but is also doesn't have that "cheap" tin can sound.

I know this has nothing to do with a mustang, but it is worth every penny.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
GTSpartan said:
I've got Corsa on my car and it is TOP notch quality. It might not be as loud as some system, but is also doesn't have that "cheap" tin can sound.

I know this has nothing to do with a mustang, but it is worth every penny.

I just installed the Corsa X-Pipe. Going on the dyno tomorrow. Now we will find out if it really makes the claimed gains as advertised. Results tomorrow evening.

As for the sound you ae absolutely correct - it doesn't sound cheap like all the others. I noticed that immediately.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sonic Blue GT said:
I just installed the Corsa X-Pipe. Going on the dyno tomorrow. Now we will find out if it really makes the claimed gains as advertised. Results tomorrow evening.

As for the sound you ae absolutely correct - it doesn't sound cheap like all the others. I noticed that immediately.

Sonic:

I'm very interested in putting some axle back after market mufflers on my GT500 some day soon. I'm curious what others you've heard and how they sound?

Thanks,

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
ac427cobra said:
Sonic:

I'm very interested in putting some axle back after market mufflers on my GT500 some day soon. I'm curious what others you've heard and how they sound?

Thanks,

JBA:
On my 2006 Mustang GT I had the JBA axle-backs before the Corsa - very low deep sound, a slight drone at 1700 RPM. Nice chrome rolled tips. When first put on the low deep sound was somewhat loud. At 3000 miles the loudness and drone volume decreased significantly. Good quality muffler and quite affordable. No HP or TQ gains. Great looks - 2.5" chrome rolled straight-cut tips and embossed with a "JBA" imprint.

Ford Racing:

I have also heard in person a 2006 Mustang GT with the Ford Racing axle-backs. A little higher tone than the JBA's. The FR axle-backs sound reminds me of the Flowmaster quiet thunder catbacks I have on my 03 Cobra.
Good construction. The price range falls between the JBA and Corsa. No HP or TQ gains. Great looks - 3.0" chrome rolled slanted-cut tips and embossed with scripted "Ford Racing" imprint.

Corsa:

Now I have the Corsa axle-backs. Sounds very much like stock but the sound has a very rich smooth quality about it. Corsas use a new sound reflection technology that totally removes drone and vibration and leaves in only the good tone. The exhaust sounds very tuned and tight. Great looks - 3.5" chrome rolled slanted-cut tips and embossed with a pale goldish tone "CORSA" imprint. The cost is very expensive. The axle-backs alone do not provide an increase in HP/TQ however couple them with the CORSA
X-Pipe and the gain is supposed to be anywhere from 12 to 15 RWHP gain and 10 in RWTQ. I will know for sure about this gain tomorrow (Saturday) for I am getting the car retuned on teh dyno. I can say that after I rode around for about 60 miles today with the newly installed Corsa X-Pipe I did notice at seat-of-the-pants difference in Torque and throttle reponse (with the temperature hitting 95 today.

If you are looking for louder low less refined sound then I would say go JBA or Ford Racing. If you like a more refined sound and closer to stock then Corsa is the one. :beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the great review! :thumbsup:

Here's my goal. The car is too quiet! :( Just like my "R" was.

I'd rather not risk getting a drone! I'm going to be doing highway driving with this car.

The Corsa's sound like the muffler for me but damn, 3.5" tips?!?! Isn't that fart can territory? :shrug: Got any pics?

Thanks!

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
ac427cobra said:

I'd rather not risk getting a drone! I'm going to be doing highway driving with this car.

The Corsa's sound like the muffler for me but damn, 3.5" tips?!?! Isn't that fart can territory? :shrug: Got any pics?

Thanks!

I am sorry..the tips on the Corsa are actually 4" not 3.5" but they taper as they reach the muffler. I will get pictures of mine but in the meantime here is a URL so you can see the tips on a GT. They really look nice on the GT. Don't look anything like fart-cans.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1098

Sound files:

http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

Florida Chris

Established Member
ac427cobra said:

Thanks!

You probably already know this, but the GT500 comes stock with the mufflers from the automatic version Mustang GT. You can change them to the manual transmission stock mufflers and pick up a little bit of sound with no risk of drone. (automatic and manual transmission mufflers are different). You can also do this dirt cheap.

Most dealers have several sets of manual transmission muffler take-offs just sitting around. My dealer allowed me to bring my stock GT500 mufflers in and swap them for free for a set of his manual take-offs.

You can swap the mufflers yourself in about an hour. You might want to try this before you install something aftermarket.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
ac427cobra said:

Thanks!

OK the results of adding in the Corsa X-Pipe to my Corsa axle-backs:

RWHP gain was 8.2
RWTQ gain was 3.1 ft-lbs

My final numbers @ 90 degrees F and humidity 50%:

RWHP 288.2
RWTQ 298.1

So the gains are all in the X-pipe and have nothing to do with the axle-backs. Simply put - there are absolutely no axle-backs for the 2005-07 GT Mustang that provide a gain in HP or TQ....if there is any claim from a manufacturer that there is (like Corsa) then they are not telling you that there was an X-Pipe involved somewhere when they did their testing.

I am certain that if I had bought the Corsa X-Pipe and mixed it in with my previous JBA's or any after-market axle-back that I probably would get the same gains I showed today.

In any case I am happy with the numbers. I would like some suggestions as to how to break 300 RWHP though. I was thinking under-drive pullies but I haven't heard anything positive from anyone who has tried them. Any opinions on this one?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Guys:

Thanks for all of the input! :thumbsup:

I'm going to research this a little more. I've got plenty of time as I'm in no hurry to mod this car.

I plan on doing a baseline dyno sometime in late October or Early November. Then, some mods may be in order!?

Users who are viewing this thread