Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM With Class-Action Lawsuit

94green1le

Established Member
While the early (pre 17) C7 Z06s were prone to going into limp mode after extended abuse, people blow it way out of proportion. Most "failures" - going into limp mode - occur on days where its >90 degrees out, and usually on later sessions in the day. Main issue was high IATs pulling timing, the reduced timing causing the EGTs to increase quite a bit, which heats up the rest of everything under the car. A lot of the "issues" owners are reporting can be addressed easily if the car is going to be used as a track car - if you can afford a 80-100k mass produced street car, it should be easy to spend another 1500-2000 to make the car well suited for extended track abuse.

For 17, GM added larger bricks in the LCAC which seem to help quite a bit. Ive noticed a drastic drop in IATs under boost and the intercooler is effective much longer before heat soaking.

FWIW: My thoughts come from years of work as a mechanical engineer specializing in engine simulation and predictive performance analysis (all the background work that leads to the initial head/cam/manifold/etc.. design) as well as doing calibration engineering for emissions compliance. Ive had these cars out on extended track days with basic modifications and the only time i had an issue was on a 95+ degree day on the last session of the day. Never had a stock car go into limp mode (10+ track days in a 15 Z and a handful in a 17 Z at Gingerman). Only way i can see it happening on a stock vehicle (after looking at coutless datalogs) is if the owner had a long drive to track where he got the car hot, got to track, shut car off to tech and get ready, then went out for a session immediately after the car was heat soaking.

My shop specializes in Corvette performance. One of my customers has a 2017 Z06 with A8 trans. Stock, the car made 547/552. After ported heads, a cam i designed for the car, upper and lower pulleys, larger heat exchanger expansion tank, 3200 stall converter, E85, and methanol, the car made 802/796 on my stingy mustang dyno (typical LS7 Z06 makes 410-415 on my dyno vs the typical 440-450 you see on dynojets). The owner of this car takes it to the drag strip nearly every weekend and has yet to have any issue of any kind with "limp mode" or over heating. This same car has also completed SCCA/NASA events at Gingerman, Mid Ohio, and the NCM Track in bowling green, all without issue.

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Just stumbled across this on my YouTube home page. Food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
a roots style blower on a "track car" is not a ideal setup. theres a reason you don't see it on racecars.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Pretty nonsense lawsuit, as most are, IMO.

But the issue itself is another indication of the problems at GM. Stupid decisions made by bean counters show up in almost every car they make.

It was plain dumb to put that tiny blower on a giant V8 and expect to not have heat issues. 1.7 blowers were the rage for puny 4.6 2Vs...and even those had a bigger option.

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet if you swapped a 2.3 TVD onto one, and left the power levels the same, (drop boost level) the stock cooling would be ok.

VenomVeins

Established Member
piece of shit chebby is STILL a piece of shit. End of thread.

This. **** GM.

Im still surprised the c6 Z06 owners didnt file a class action against that shit company for the head design causing numerous engine failures.

Oh wait, thats because when us taxpayers bailed thier ass out after bankruptcy, they wouldnt honor certain recalls and warranty issues before 2009 because that was the 'previous company' before BK.

****ing Shitbags.

I hope the garbage 'new' GM fails again during Trumps watch, because he will tell them to eat a bag of dicks while flipping them off when they come begging for more taxpayer money.

Scumbag shitstains.

cbj5259

Established Member
I don't see the problem...clearly this 15 minute limp mode is exactly what Corvette owners needed. I mean most of their drivers need to pee every 15 minutes anyway because of their enlarged prostates.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Lmao at the guys enraged by a car company.... acting like said car company shot your dog, raped your daughter and ran over you mother.

Lmaoooooo.

Machdup1

Established Member
Lmao at the guys enraged by a car company.... acting like said car company shot your dog, raped your daughter and ran over you mother.

Lmaoooooo.
They are just mad about the tail lights.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Lmaoooooo.

That's funny:
DBK;14952085 said:
It's only the special cases where a company willfully covers up defects that kill people, then has the government unload their outstanding shares 60 days before it becomes public knowledge, and installs the friendly female CEO so they can drag her in front of Congress and she can say "I'm a Mom. Look at me, do you think your Mom would intentionally try and kill you?" And then allow bankruptcy to shield them from liability from said defects while granting $45 billion in tax loss carry forwards. Go GM!

Users who are viewing this thread