Cost for custom cam install. Quote included from local shop.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I had custom cam install quoted recently if anyone is interested. This is for the shop to do the entire install.

b147729a804792a7a85b05e3747f3584.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Holy S#!T!!!! how times have changed. I remember when I installed my E303 cam in my 89 5.0. All I needed was the cam, push rods, roller rockers/lifters, gaskets and fluids. Took me one weekend while reading the Chiltons Manuel and maybe cost me around $500.

Damn, $5200 is crazy. 4 cams is nice, but at those prices I think it will put it out of most peoples budgets.

Thanks for posting this. Pretty interesting to see how it breaks down.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Looks about right if degreed.

I usually takes me two days to degree in 4v cams on an engine stand. I double and triple check my work tho and leak down cylinders after I'm done to ensure valves are all sealing.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That's outrageous and also a big reason you don't see many do this to a healthy 03/04 cobra. Some will consider it if pulling a hurt motor that was coming out anyways.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I advise people against doing cams if not building an engine.

If however you're building it there's no reason not to throw cams in and get them degreed, even if it's only a set of 96/98 cams.

I've done lots of sets now. It's actually not that bad after the first 3-4 times. It gets nerve racking when installing large cams on stock pistons. Have to watch ptv closely.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Don’t forget about guides and tensioners, otherwise some items like the cams seem low, gaskets about right without intake or head gaskets,I’d say $90 an hour is fine, it’s when shops try to get it done in half the time that doesn’t make sense. Please let us know how you like them.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I don't like owing anyone anything. I pay for everything in cold hard cash (big purchases at least). If I do any mods to the cobra, I save and pay with cash. I'm currently saving for a truck (hopefully a Raptor), should have enough by 2019! This quote is from earlier in the year when I had the VMP/suspension items installed by the same shop and almost pulled the trigger on the cams as well. I've decided I would wait until I did heads and cams or built engine/heads/cams in the future. But now I have been looking at SLA Griggs suspension systems so I don't know what I want to do anymore.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I advise people against doing cams if not building an engine.

If however you're building it there's no reason not to throw cams in and get them degreed, even if it's only a set of 96/98 cams.

I've done lots of sets now. It's actually not that bad after the first 3-4 times. It gets nerve racking when installing large cams on stock pistons. Have to watch ptv closely.

"gt347mustang" wheres your shop located at? Iam from the Springs, i don't have much trust in the shops in this part of town, specifically working in these cars (03-04 Cobras).

Users who are viewing this thread