Couple pistol/ccw questions for you guys

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I read it and that's what made me ask my question. I would never ever recommend to someone to carry a weapon to defend themselves without a round chambered. Instead I would recommend ways to carry concealed with the proper equipment/holster to protect themselves from an accidental discharge.

oh i agree with you and desertcobra, i meant for the people that just wanna carry it wo a holster or anything. was technical man.
i agree, get a holster and have one in the chamber but not everyone is as comfortable with carrying a loaded gun even with a CHL.
its all good man :beer:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
my reason is i leave it unchambered at home due to its easier access in the nightstand....i just dont feel the need to chamber a round leaving my home and unchamber when getting back home.

my wife wasnt raised with guns and i would hate for something to accidentally happen at home

NXSVTCOBRA

my reason is i leave it unchambered at home due to its easier access in the nightstand....i just dont feel the need to chamber a round leaving my home and unchamber when getting back home.

my wife wasnt raised with guns and i would hate for something to accidentally happen at home

In my home I don't have any of my weapons chambered, I have a toddler wandering around. However, I'm always locked and loaded when I'm out and about.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
1. i was refering to a non-revolver type.
2. if you pull out a gun on someone they won't know it doesn't have a round in the chamber. people tend to listen when they are at gunpoint...if someone puts a gun to my face i'm gonna assume it's loaded, might just be me though.
you've been served....next :rolling:
You're the idiot who will be disarmed & shot by his own gun.
"please mister bad guy..Wait for me to chamber my round before you continue to (stab, shoot, beat me with a baseball bat etc)"

If you pull a gun on someone,it's not to get them to comply..It's to shoot them. You pull a gun because you are going to shoot...That is the only time it comes out..
Now if the person stops because they see your gun & they flee the scene..Then fine..Problem solved.You put your gun away & get the hell out of there. But what if they don't? What if they have one of their own? You aren't usually forced to confront a rationally thinking person with deadly force..You confront a bad guy or a maniac.
The way the law is written is that the only justifiable reason you can pull your gun is because the situation has met the criteria for deadly force...
The gun is not there to intimidate.
You pull your gun because someone is actively trying to seriously harm or kill you...Mere threats against you are not enough.

I am a certified NRA pistol instructor & I would throw someone out of my class if they came at me with a statement like yours.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
If you pull a gun on someone,it's not to get them to comply..It's to shoot them. You pull a gun because you are going to shoot...That is the only time it comes out..
Now if the person stops because they see your gun & they flee the scene..Then fine..Problem solved.You put your gun away & get the hell out of there.
The way the law is written is that the only justifiable reason you can pull your gun is because the situation has met the criteria for deadly force...
The gun is not there to intimidate.
You pull your gun because someone is actively trying to seriously harm or kill you...Mere threats against you are not enough.

I am a certified NRA pistol instructor & I would throw someone out of my class if they came at me with a statement like yours.

too bad i'mnot in your class for one.
two, it was in regards to someone fleeing the scene when you pull it out and they got intimidated. i'm a Gunnersmate with the Navy, been one for 7 years, i know a lil (sighs) about deadly force not to mention i was just cleared of an unlawfully carry charge for pulling it out on a guy who stabbed my brother downtown in a parking lot. yes, was self defense, you should've read up on my post before thinking i'm some trigger happy Gunslinger. i'm not pulling it out to say hi, if its coming out either i am going home or they are.
THE END :beer:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
too bad i'mnot in your class for one.
two, it was in regards to someone fleeing the scene when you pull it out and they got intimidated. i'm a Gunnersmate with the Navy, been one for 7 years, i know a lil (sighs) about deadly force not to mention i was just cleared of an unlawfully carry charge for pulling it out on a guy who stabbed my brother downtown in a parking lot. yes, was self defense, you should've read up on my post before thinking i'm some trigger happy Gunslinger. i'm not pulling it out to say hi, if its coming out either i am going home or they are.
THE END :beer:

Gunners Mate, eh..That explains it.
Why were you charged with illegal carry? No permit?
Otherwise, the only charge would be an aggrivated assault if you pulled it on someone that didn't deserve it.Which if this guy was stabbing your brother would have met the requirement to go ahead & put holes in him. You & your brother are both lucky that he didn't call your "condition three" bluff.
A knife wielding bad guy can cover 21 feet AFTER being lethally shot.

All of this is a response to your arrogant,know-it-all comment..the one in quotes, not whatever you posted after that.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Gunners Mate, eh..That explains it.
Why were you charged with illegal carry? No permit?
Otherwise, the only charge would be an aggrivated assault if you pulled it on someone that didn't deserve it.Which if this guy was stabbing your brother would have met the requirement to go ahead & put holes in him. You & your brother are both lucky that he didn't call your "condition three" bluff.
A knife wielding bad guy can cover 21 feet AFTER being lethally shot.

All of this is a response to your arrogant,know-it-all comment..the one in quotes, not whatever you posted after that.

oh i see, ya this stuff can be easily misinterpreted.
i will do cliff notes cause teh post if long on my thread. we were followed, i was at my car, they came around and stabbed him,10 guys had surrounded us, i popped the trunk and pull it out of the case it was in. cops came and arrested me even with witnesses that said they attacked us. i didn't have a permit but i HAD been to the shooting rang earlier and so i had it in the trunk still. i was not engaged in Felonious activity as stated in the Texas Crminal and Traffic penal code. i got an attorney and it was dismissed as it should have been.
no problem man :beer:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
oh BTW it wasn't in a condition 3 bluff, guy was an idiot and waited til after i opened my trunk loaded it and turned around before he knew what happened.
"God is good, god is great, God loves all Gunnersmates"...

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
I've been wanting to go to my CCW for a while now but there's a couple things I wanna figure out first.

1. I don't wear hunting vests or jackets everywhere I go. Unless it's really cold I don't wear any sort of overgarment. When you guys carry, esp in the summer time, how do you conceal a gun without it poking out of a t shirt or looking funny?

2. I'm not sure what pistol I would like to carry. I understand that size is really important to a lot of people, but I'm 6'2 and don't mind carrying a mid-sized pistol as long as it's lightweight/polymer.

3. Caliber. A lot of people say a 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power for self defense but I kinda question that. Chances are if you have to use it, it's going to be fairly close range and I just can't see how a 9mm can't at least immobilize someone. That said, I also want to pick up a .40. My 1911 is great but a .45 IMO is just impractical to carry. Suggestions?

Ed, I have a Glock 26 and will have my CCW in the next couple months. I'm 5'11'', 180 lbs and can easily conceal my G26. Depending on your body frame, many IWB holsters offer great concealment. Ahead of caliber and size, your primary concern should be finding a gun you are completely confident in. Caliber is a great thing to consider but caliber won't matter if you can't hit your target.

Check out GlockTalk.com and defensivecarry.com for more info.

voodooo

BLK MAGIC
Established Member
when i carry i wear a stretchy waist band that has different spots that holds to clips and you can wear you gun on either side of ribs or where ever you want this thing is great, my buddy found it at the gun show and i bought it for $20. I can wear it under a t shirt and the gun is so close to me you really cant tell that i have it. As far as what caliber to use i use 9mm and 45mm and i pull it out im going for head shot, thats what they tell us here in our state go for the kill, im sure a 9mm will stop someone with a head shot.this is the one that i carry most, its the S&W spec op 17 shot and im 5'6.
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
when i carry i wear a stretchy waist band that has different spots that holds to clips and you can wear you gun on either side of ribs or where ever you want this thing is great, my buddy found it at the gun show and i bought it for $20. I can wear it under a t shirt and the gun is so close to me you really cant tell that i have it. As far as what caliber to use i use 9mm and 45mm and i pull it out im going for head shot, thats what they tell us here in our state go for the kill, im sure a 9mm will stop someone with a head shot.this is the one that i carry most, its the S&W spec op 17 shot and im 5'6.
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

Whoever told you to go for the head shot did you a great disservice. Why do you think police and military forces train to aim for center of mass? Your chances of making a head shot in a tactical situation with your adrenaline pumping are slim to none. Good luck with that.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

45mm?! Jesus Christ, are you riding around on a battle ship?

PS: You're an idiot and your weapons should be taken from you.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
OP
I go 5'9'' and about 170. I also live in Florida so it's typically shorts and a t-shirt. I carry an xd45c, appendix carry (between 12'oclock and 2oclock for a righty), I do have to offset my belt buckle though. It's about the only way I can carry this gun with the Florida atire.

Users who are viewing this thread