Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_ole_truck

Established Member
Educate me on some points:
Can any cop in Indiana now go to any house and demand entry and not be legally refused? Is a warrant required?
What happens to the law abiding property owner or tenant afterwards if they do not have the financial means to seek legal remedy through the courts?

The Indiana court seems to have so poorly written their opinion and thus their judgement into case law, that is seriously detrimental to police-public relations. The possibility for abuse by the LEO agencies is too great in my humble opinion. Given it's case law, the Indiana legislature could write a law protecting residents and limiting LEO powers, overturning or limiting this case law, but don't bet on it.

Planter

Banned
I could really see this getting bad for LEO's. If a LEO comes into someone's house without a warrant and without permission, they're liable to get shot and you're gonna have a bunch of dead cops on your hands, and it'll be totally justifiable from the homeowners stance.

Indiana is out of line on this one, I expect SCOTUS will put them back in check at some point.

Come to my house and attempt to enter without a warrant, I'll shoot your ass plain and simple, and take my chances in front of a jury.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I can see where the court's motive is coming from but I don't see it helping much considering that the population that is willing to harm a LEO for violating their 4th is likely not the same population that stays current with case law.

Homeowner that belives he can use force to keep the LEO without a warrent out of his home verse LEO that is acting under this ruling and is determined to make entry. I really don't see this decreasing violence as opposed to just leaving the 4th alone.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Come to my house and attempt to enter without a warrant, I'll shoot your ass plain and simple, and take my chances in front of a jury.

The point is that you wont make it to a jury. You really think you are going to take down an entire tactical team?

The point of this ruling, even though the opinion was crudely written, is there is no point in physically resisting what you perceive to be an unlawful entry at the time of entry. There are remedies in the law that will come into play after a court decides the entry was unlawful.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The point is that you wont make it to a jury. You really think you are going to take down an entire tactical team?

The point of this ruling, even though the opinion was crudely written, is there is no point in physically resisting what you perceive to be an unlawful entry at the time of entry. There are remedies in the law that will come into play after a court decides the entry was unlawful.

His "jury" would be comprised of 6 or 8 guys dressed just like the one he "shot". His house being the courtroom and a quick "guilty" verdict in his future.

How many times have you actually repeated the "point" of this ruling in this thread and people still don't get it. :shrug:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
You are looking at this from a Marine's POV and are taking it personally because a former Marine (I know there are no former Marines) died. The men dressed in black also had written in large white letters the word "POLICE."

The "GODDAM HAT" was obviously part of a bigger situation. No judge is issuing a warrant for a hat. It is obviously what the hat means. For a judge to issue a valid warrant it must be found on credible testimony before that judge amounting to probable cause. Just stating there is a DEA hat will not get the warrant. However, as an example, testimony from a CI says this person wore a DEA hat to commit a certain crime and that is corroborated, then looking for that particular evidence is important.

Believe it or not there are bad people in every walk of life, even Marines.

Former Marine Found Guilty in Wife, Sons' Murder Case - FoxNews.com

Former Marine indicted in 2009 Snell murder | WJLA.com

Former Marine Sentenced For Murder - San Diego 6

Never said we were all Saints. I've been in long enough to have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I also know that there are more than a few LEO's with huge chips on their shoulders with God complexes that think they can do no wrong. I KNOW you've been around long enough to have seen a few of those. I hope for the citizens of that jurisdiction that isn't the case. I'm not holding out much hope though considering their "fearless leader" is Sheriff Dumbass... er - I mean Dupnik.

As far as the "rest of the story" - in this case the Sheriff's dept has already made it clear he's not releasing ANY of the documents, so we'll NEVER know the real story will we?:nonono:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Or this one - it happened a few miles from my office, both officers were/are friends of mine. I look at life (and situations such as this thread are built on) through the eyes of someone trained and experienced with the law surrounding searches, warrants, etc. which is what I told you in my last post. You are not trained or experienced, yet you continue to try and paint the police (along with Adam and I) as the bad guys over one news story that the ink isn't dry on. Read on.............

Marine Is Suspect In Ceres Police Officer Killing - Sacramento News Story - KCRA Sacramento

Police Videos, Law Enforcement Videos, Taser Videos and Police Pursuit Videos - PoliceLink

The truth about the cop-killing marine
Michelle Malkin

If you watched the evening news a week ago, you may recall the sensational story of a distraught Marine who died in a murderous shootout with police. Anti-war writers and Latino activists have turned the cop-killer, Lance Cpl. Andres Raya, into a martyr. Don't believe the hype.

Network and cable TV shows repeatedly broadcast video and photo stills of Raya's Jan. 9 bloody gun battle in a Ceres, Calif., liquor store. Mental health experts immediately blamed post-traumatic stress disorder. Ignoring the cold-blooded murder of one of the ambushed police officers who was lured to his death, international headlines instead trumpeted the supposedly traumatized Raya:

Teenage War Veteran Committed Suicide 'By Cop'

Marine 'Committed Suicide by Cop to Avoid Iraq Return'

Kin of Marine Who Shot Policemen Ask if He Is a Casualty of War

Young Camp Pendleton Marine who shot officers did not want to go back to Iraq.

A far Left Web site, San Francisco Bay Area Indymedia.org, posted a complaint that the California legislature -- which lowered its flags to honor slain cop Sgt. Howard Stevenson -- was showing "no consideration [for the] young man whose life was ruined by military service."

La Voz de Aztlan, a radical fringe publication by Mexican nationalists, lionized Raya and demonized police:

"One can only speculate what horrors Andres Raya experienced in Fallujah. The slaughter by U.S. occupation forces of Iraqi civilians in Fallujah has been compared to the slaughter in Guernica by Nazi forces in 1937. Many U.S. Marines with a conscious (sic) have found it very difficult to reconcile the Iraqi civilian murders in their minds and have committed suicide. U.S. Marine Andres Raya decided to take some cops with him. Most probably he was harassed by them while growing up Mexican in this small northern California town." The paper also lambasted Raya's hometown, Ceres, as "a redneck town notorious for its mistreatment of his people."

Writing in the anti-war publication CounterPunch, Jack Random lamented Raya's death as "symbolic of the untold story of war. Hundreds of thousands of trained killers survive combat only to come home to a life for which they are no longer prepared. They have seen what men and women should never see. They have engaged in operations that brought them face to face with the death of innocent civilians, women and children."

The only elements missing in the bleeding-heart coverage of Raya's story were the soundtrack to "Platoon" and a bulk order of Kleenex. There's just one thing wrong with the sympathetic spin about the anti-war Marine. It's all dead wrong.

This much is true about Raya: The 19-year-old man did in fact serve with the Marines' 1st Intelligence Battalion's motor transport unit as a driver in Iraq.

But contrary to the impression left by initial media reports, Raya had never seen combat. And he was not headed back to Iraq. He had been transferred to a new unit scheduled for deployment to Okinawa. "During our investigation, we found he wasn't due to go back to Iraq, never faced combat situations and never even fired his gun," Stanislaus County Sheriff's Deputy Jason Woodman said.

Raya was high on cocaine at the time of the ambush, according to police reports. He was reportedly affiliated with the prison gang Nuestra Familia. Investigators found photos of Raya wearing gang colors and a shopping list in his bedroom safe that included body armor, assault rifles and ammunition. Authorities also discovered a video showing Raya smoking what appears to be marijuana and making gang sign gestures. The tape showed desecrated pieces of the American flag laid on a gymnasium floor to spell out expletives directed at President Bush.

Family members deny Raya's gang ties and blame the military. Meanwhile, Raya's neighborhood was decorated with anti-cop graffiti such as "Kill the Pigs" in his memory. And militant Hispanic residents celebrate Raya. Ceres resident Hilda Mercado told The New York Times that Raya "died like a true Mexican: He died standing on his feet."

The question isn't what got into Raya when he entered the military. The question is why and how Raya -- who police say had a propensity for violence well before he joined the Marines -- got into our military in the first place.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Sergeant Howard (Howie) Stevenson
Ceres Police Department
California
End of Watch: Sunday, January 9, 2005

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 20 yrs
Badge Number: 143

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Sunday, January 9, 2005
Weapon Used: Rifle; SKS
Suspect Info: Shot and killed

Sergeant Stevenson succumbed to gunshot wounds sustained the previous night during a shootout with a suspect armed with a semi-automatic rifle.

Sergeant Stevenson and other officers had responded to a liquor store on North Central Avenue to investigate reports of an armed male who was acting strangely. The first officer on the scene was shot and wounded by the suspect. This officer took cover behind a car and returned fire as Sergeant Stevenson arrived at the scene. As Sergeant Stevenson exited his patrol car, the suspect shot him twice in the head, killing him.

The suspect exchanged shots with responding officers before fleeing the scene. He was shot and killed approximately three hours later during a second shootout. The suspect was believed to be under the influence of cocaine at the time of the incident.

Sergeant Stevenson had served with the Ceres Police Department for 20 years. He is survived by his wife, son, and two daughters

Hey Brother..... I get your point. And I sincerely express my condolences for your loss. Losing friends and comrades in arms sucks. Cops aren't the only ones that happens to.

As I said, I FULLY realize we (Marines) aren't all Saints. Would you like for me to post some stories of some Dbag cops just to "even the score?".. i can def do that if that would help- Google works on my computer too. No one is perfect or has perfect people in their organizations- even LEO's.

DefCon3

Established Member
What constitutes "resistance"? If one or more people show up at my door demanding entrance, and refuse to produce a warrant, is it considered "resistance" if I merely tell them to come back when they have a warrant and close the door? And if these same people then break down the door with force, having failed to produce a warrant, why am I not justified in using force to defend my home and persons inside?

This ruling is bad law and will get some LEOs killed or injured. The law enforcement community had better rethink it's position, as "I vas just following orders" is not a valid excuse against violating the 4th Amendment.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
As far as the "rest of the story" - in this case the Sheriff's dept has already made it clear he's not releasing ANY of the documents, so we'll NEVER know the real story will we?:nonono:

While he might not release the documents to the public right away, once the investigation is closed they become attainable through a FOIA request. Also, the Prosecutors office will have to investigate the actions and wont be covering for any wrong doing of the PD. Lastly, a civil rights violation suit will bring in the Feds who will write a book on the incident.

But the point is that no one is questioning the authenticity of the warrant or that items noted in the valid warrant were located in the residence searched.

Of course there are good and bad in every profession, but it is rare that you see an entire tactical team made of all bad guys.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
What constitutes "resistance"? If one or more people show up at my door demanding entrance, and refuse to produce a warrant, is it considered "resistance" if I merely tell them to come back when they have a warrant and close the door? And if these same people then break down the door with force, having failed to produce a warrant, why am I not justified in using force to defend my home and persons inside?

This ruling is bad law and will get some LEOs killed or injured. The law enforcement community had better rethink it's position, as "I vas just following orders" is not a valid excuse against violating the 4th Amendment.

If these "people" are state, local, or federal L.E. then your resistance is obstructing justice, especially after they tell you they do not need a warrant as there are warrant exceptions.

You simply arent grasping the nature of the ruling. It is simple there is no reason to physically resist what you consider to be an unlawful entry because there are more than adequate protections in the law. However, it is quite likely that you are not trained to know whether their entry is unlawful or your perception of what is unlawful is not consistent with the law. Therefore, to start a physical altercation is fruitless. Let them come in and do what they are going to do and then fight it later.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Hey Brother..... I get your point. And I sincerely express my condolences for your loss. Losing friends and comrades in arms sucks. Cops aren't the only ones that happens to.

As I said, I FULLY realize we (Marines) aren't all Saints. Would you like for me to post some stories of some Dbag cops just to "even the score?".. i can def do that if that would help- Google works on my computer too. No one is perfect or has perfect people in their organizations- even LEO's.

No need, bottom line here is very simple (and I've pointed it out several times now). This thread has run its course, we are back to debating the "try that at my house and find out what happens" mentality.

This is a very complex subject matter, one you cannot discuss after Googling up a few pieces of ancient case law, reading two pages of a 100 page brief or by staying a night in a Holiday Inn Express.

I have tons of experience conducting surveillance, building cases, presenting my cases, being grilled by judges before they sign the warrant, conducting pre-raid drills, serving the warrants and conducting post-raid searches.

But with all of my years of experience, training and education, I still sought legal advice before jumping into any of the previously mentioned activities.

From my perspective, this thread has run its course. Hopefully some who participated and/or read along gained some insight into how the process works, while others I know maintain the thought no matter what, a man's castle is truly his home, not to ever be entered without due process.

But therein lies the rub - what is due process as it relates to searches, entries, etc. Most of the people quick to say no one is coming into their house don't have a clue about due process.

I pursued a car once which ended up pulling into a private driveway. The garage door opened, car pulled in and the garage door began to close. I drove into the garage, the door jammed on my hood.

The driver, a young man exited the car and ran into the house through an interior garage door. I followed him in and tackled him in the living room of the house. His father was not happy and tried to stop me. By the end of the evening, the son went to jail for DUI and other charges. The dad went to jail for interfering, resisting, along with the mother who also interfered.

The son was later convicted, the dad and mom both maintained they were within their "rights" to defend their home and their son. They both finally plead to lesser charges.

What's my point? - No one likes strangers in their homes, I don't either. But, I am not so dense as to think if my kid runs in the house followed by a cop that he is to be considered innocent and the cop is the guilty party.

Unfortunately, some folks are that dense.

00streetfighter

Established Member
His "jury" would be comprised of 6 or 8 guys dressed just like the one he "shot". His house being the courtroom and a quick "guilty" verdict in his future.

How many times have you actually repeated the "point" of this ruling in this thread and people still don't get it. :shrug:

I mean seriously. A sergeant of mine gave this little gem of a quote..
He said, "I don't commit crimes. So if someone is kicking down my door, I know its the bad guys." If your not committing serious crimes, you'll never have to worry about the cops entering your home, warrant or not.

People who have never been through the process of obtaining a warrant (search or arrest) have no idea the amount of probable cause you need to prove to get one. It amazes me how many people think that cops just randomly pick people to kick in their door and search their house.

To the few of you LEO's on here who have been contributing to this thread, job well done. :beer: However, Its unfortunate though that some people will never get it and will always think that today's police force is the Gestapo.. :nonono:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
The driver, a young man exited the car and ran into the house through an interior garage door. I followed him in and tackled him in the living room of the house. His father was not happy and tried to stop me. By the end of the evening, the son went to jail for DUI and other charges. The dad went to jail for interfering, resisting, along with the mother who also interfered.

The son was later convicted, the dad and mom both maintained they were within their "rights" to defend their home and their son. They both finally plead to lesser charges.

What's my point? - No one likes strangers in their homes, I don't either. But, I am not so dense as to think if my kid runs in the house followed by a cop that he is to be considered innocent and the cop is the guilty party.

Unfortunately, some folks are that dense.

I can understand the reactions of the family. Our instincts are to protect family above all else. A father seeing his son tackled (especially when unexpected) would provoke some aggression the majority of the time.

00streetfighter

Established Member
I can understand the reactions of the family. Our instincts are to protect family above all else. A father seeing his son tackled (especially when unexpected) would provoke some aggression the majority of the time.

Even when its a cop in a police uniform? Are you ****ing stupid? :dw:

00streetfighter

Established Member
Banned from posting here? For what?..

Dont answer that. I dont want to clutter this thread with an argument with you. Itll prove to be a waste of time anyways. An abomination.. :lol1:

No need to clutter.. No need for an argument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread