Coyote Hunting (in a 6th Gen) - Episode 1

Kiohtee

Established Member
For whatever reason, unless you just have gobs of power (which you wouldn't want with 3.73s anyway), the combination of an MT-82 and 3.73 gears sucks on the street. Ask me how I know.

Having said that, I fully expected the Mustang to put up a better fight. I actually expected the same outcome, just reversed. :shrug: I can't wait to go 3.31 or 3.55 personally.

WSsick

Established Member
FWIW, he played with the TC during the races, but none of them really made any difference as you can see. If the car would've pulled me during the roll up top, I would chalk it up to that, but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Also, Lund looked at the tune after he made some logs and they said he didn't need any revisions.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
New camaros are badass. That A8 sounds like it would benefit greatly from some tuning. The shifts didn't sound consistent. None were slow, just one or two sounded a lot crisper than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehunterooo

Established Member
The 2018 Mustang is going to have 2000hp and a 20spd auto, the new Camaro won't stand a chance.

LOL camaro6 would blow up.

I finally seen a 16 SS for the first time a few days ago, the SS badge was just slapped on the back....

The A8 is a huge advantage though I think the fast list has the fastest M6 SS at 12.2, an A8 GT should be about the same if it gains no power in 2018.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I finally seen a 16 SS for the first time a few days ago, the SS badge was just slapped on the back....

The A8 is a huge advantage though I think the fast list has the fastest M6 SS at 12.2, an A8 GT should be about the same if it gains no power in 2018.

I do think the badges on the back of the 6th gens is sort of randomly slapped on... but, to be fair, I don't think it's a bad looking car.

But I don't think the new Mustang is going to run 12.2s like a Camaro even with an 8 or 10sp.

A bit more weight and less power doesn't equate to equal times.

Joewee500

Established Member
A local guy ran a 12.5 @115 in his brand new paper plate Camaro ss 6spd. That was in 102 degree heat. Very matting running car.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
New camaros are badass. That A8 sounds like it would benefit greatly from some tuning. The shifts didn't sound consistent. None were slow, just one or two sounded a lot crisper than the others.

i noticed that too, i didn't count but it sounded like the 5th shift on each run didn't snap, and sort of rolled into it

WSsick

Established Member

We logged it this weekend, just because a friend wanted to nerd out and see what all was different on the E92 ECM (didn't touch the tune). It drops to -4 degrees of timing on those shifts where it pops. The ones that sound fast, it does not drop like that. Eventually when it gets tuned, we'll tweak it, and probably up the timing and kill some of the TM, but a lot of guys are just leaving the 8 speed alone. It will live a long time the way it is, and getting too aggressive with them has hurt a couple, so we'll take baby steps with the trans tuning.

WSsick

Established Member
I do think the badges on the back of the 6th gens is sort of randomly slapped on... but, to be fair, I don't think it's a bad looking car.

But I don't think the new Mustang is going to run 12.2s like a Camaro even with an 8 or 10sp.

Rear badge is definitely random, but it's the same with the C7 Z06.

I think with the coming 10 speed for the Mustang, it will be right there with the Camaro. A friend told me the 2018 Mustang is slated to get the 10 speed, but no word when the base SS will get it. The Mustang will definitely be quicker with the 10 speed if it is anything like the 8 speed in my car. The weights are very close (mine was just a little bit lighter than a comparable 5.0), so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to jump into the 11s like the 6th gens have.

ViciousJay

Established Member
That is not Full Bolt on....FBO would include CAI and a different manifold (BOSS, CJ, GT350) This 5.0 did not have a CAI. I feel the lack of the CAI would of helped top end and tuning in general. Also 373 gears are terrible for street racing. 355 or better would be my choice.

intakes on N/A cars are about as useful as wet toilet paper. An intake wouldn't have helped at all in this race.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Rear badge is definitely random, but it's the same with the C7 Z06.

I think with the coming 10 speed for the Mustang, it will be right there with the Camaro. A friend told me the 2018 Mustang is slated to get the 10 speed, but no word when the base SS will get it. The Mustang will definitely be quicker with the 10 speed if it is anything like the 8 speed in my car. The weights are very close (mine was just a little bit lighter than a comparable 5.0), so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to jump into the 11s like the 6th gens have.

I agree, if you look at the Camaro6 fast list A8 cars are much quicker than the manuals. Top A8 car is 11.9 while the top manual is 12.32. There are loads of A8s under 12.3. The transmission makes such a huge difference now, the scat pack is another example of this. The question is how the A8 and A10 will compare. If the A10 can shave even more time off there will be some very fast cars right off the lot.

It is too bad Ford did get the A8 out for the S550 cars off the bat, and no PP for auto GTs :( The car "should" have been faster than the 11-14 cars even with the addition of the IRS which added a lot of weight.

WSsick

Established Member
I'm on the Camaro6 list. :) Mine went 12.12 @ 114.7 (best trap was 115.5) in ~1200-1300 DA. I don't doubt it that if I keep it bone stock that it will go 11.9x once the negative DA hits in late October.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
With the Camaro 6 having the same motor as the Stingray (LT1), how well has the motor been responding to mods?
Is Direct injection a limiting factor, or something that's enhanced (gets better) when adding mods?

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
We logged it this weekend, just because a friend wanted to nerd out and see what all was different on the E92 ECM (didn't touch the tune). It drops to -4 degrees of timing on those shifts where it pops. The ones that sound fast, it does not drop like that. Eventually when it gets tuned, we'll tweak it, and probably up the timing and kill some of the TM, but a lot of guys are just leaving the 8 speed alone. It will live a long time the way it is, and getting too aggressive with them has hurt a couple, so we'll take baby steps with the trans tuning.

Cool stuff. Crazy to hear some are failing. The damn A8 in the Hellcats are still surviving at 1000whp and well into the 9's. Hellcat owners can thank ZF for that.

WSsick

Established Member
Nice :beer:

Do you have any mods in mind?

Of course! Intake is on backorder, but it will hopefully ship before the end of August is what they told me. Was looking at headers in the near future, but I know I want it to end up with a snail or two on it, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother wasting time with the bolt-on route.

With the Camaro 6 having the same motor as the Stingray (LT1), how well has the motor been responding to mods?
Is Direct injection a limiting factor, or something that's enhanced (gets better) when adding mods?

100% stock, the limit is around 600 whp. After that, you can tackle the problem depending on what you want to see as far as power. Some people are adding in tank solutions, some using LT4 parts (injectors, etc), but there isn't well set general consensus that I've seen. A cam with the bigger fuel lobe will add 32% more fuel, so that's always a nice upgrade. Meth is always a great choice because in addition to adding fuel, it can actually allow for some fuel to hit the back and the valves and keep it from getting too much carbon build-up that is typical of DI engines.

Cool stuff. Crazy to hear some are failing. The damn A8 in the Hellcats are still surviving at 1000whp and well into the 9's. Hellcat owners can thank ZF for that.

All of the failures I have seen or heard about have been when people started tuning them a little too aggressively. I haven't heard of a stock one giving up yet. Tuning failures are common these days, especially when you see how much of a step forward it is.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I was up in the air with the 5th gen, but I really like the 6th gen Camaro. This is the specific one in my sights. The 50th Anniversary model (2017).

2017_chevrolet_camaro_50th_anniversary_edition_Reduced.jpg

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Chevy got it right with the 6th gen Camaro that thing moves, their are several out their posting impressive times stock!

Users who are viewing this thread