Coyote Swapping an 88 Notchback Foxbody - Build Journey

Sul303

Good Day Everyone,

I’m a bit new to the scene. However, been a lover of all things cars (that go boom) ever since I was a kid. But I’ll save you the trouble of my story and I’ll cut to the chase. A few months ago I bought an 88 notchback (no engine no transmission) I got the car although it might look rough on the outside all the chassis and the underside was preserved pretty well.

I saw that and I thought to myself what a great 1ST project car and what it is even greater is that I’ll be coyote swapping(ish) it. I knew it will take a very longtime given the financial commitment as well as me living outside the US. But but but there is progress and I’ll sharing as much as possible here from parts I get to any progress updates I have. I’m also hoping to pick up some pointers from the nice folks here.

So the aim for this build is to have a super clean coyote swapped foxbody that I can hop in and turn on and take for a drive any day (daily-able street car) with a manual transmission (still haven’t decided on what transmission. Although I’m leaning towards a Tremec T56 6-speed or a TKO).

Until now I have obtained the following:

A UPR K-Member

SVE 31 Spline Heavy Duty Rear Axel Kit (5 lug conversion) 3.73 gears:
“I couldn’t find it in LMR”

DSE MINI TUBS

DSE non adjustable rear suspension kit:

DSE Chassis stiffening kit:

Ride tech front suspension kit w/ hq coilovers

So far this is what I have ordered and you might see a trend with kits since I live out side the US shipping is a bit of a challenge and these kits might be expensive but they save me a ton on shipping as they are all in one and along with me not wanting to order incompatible parts.

Regardless this is where I stand right now any help you might be able to give me along the way would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the janky pictures I have the car covered right now I’ll be moving it soon and I’ll take more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3859.png
    IMG_3859.png
    807.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3858.png
    IMG_3858.png
    794.9 KB · Views: 28

Sul303

Good Day Everyone,

I’m a bit new to the scene. However, been a lover of all things cars (that go boom) ever since I was a kid. But I’ll save you the trouble of my story and I’ll cut to the chase. A few months ago I bought an 88 notchback (no engine no transmission) I got the car although it might look rough on the outside all the chassis and the underside was preserved pretty well.

I saw that and I thought to myself what a great 1ST project car and what it is even greater is that I’ll be coyote swapping(ish) it. I knew it will take a very longtime given the financial commitment as well as me living outside the US. But but but there is progress and I’ll sharing as much as possible here from parts I get to any progress updates I have. I’m also hoping to pick up some pointers from the nice folks here.

So the aim for this build is to have a super clean coyote swapped foxbody that I can hop in and turn on and take for a drive any day (daily-able street car) with a manual transmission (still haven’t decided on what transmission. Although I’m leaning towards a Tremec T56 6-speed or a TKO).

Until now I have obtained the following:

A UPR K-Member

SVE 31 Spline Heavy Duty Rear Axel Kit (5 lug conversion) 3.73 gears:
“I couldn’t find it in LMR”

DSE MINI TUBS

DSE non adjustable rear suspension kit:

DSE Chassis stiffening kit:

Ride tech front suspension kit w/ hq coilovers

So far this is what I have ordered and you might see a trend with kits since I live out side the US shipping is a bit of a challenge and these kits might be expensive but they save me a ton on shipping as they are all in one and along with me not wanting to order incompatible parts.

Regardless this is where I stand right now any help you might be able to give me along the way would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the janky pictures I have the car covered right now I’ll be moving it soon and I’ll take more pictures.
I found the link for the rear axel kit:

Please if you think I should have gotten something else or better please let me know I’m here to learn and anyone else who wants an actual coyote swapping a foxbody journey for dummies can come here and also learn so any input is valuable :)

Sul303

What cluster are you going with?
Good question I’m assuming you are talking about a gauge cluster. Although I haven’t reached that point yet but I have my eyes set on the Dakota Digital gauges trying to keep the stock-ish look and all. if I get anything I’ll update this thread as often as possible.

triple-s

Established Member
Good question I’m assuming you are talking about a gauge cluster. Although I haven’t reached that point yet but I have my eyes set on the Dakota Digital gauges trying to keep the stock-ish look and all. if I get anything I’ll update this thread as often as possible.
Yup always wondered how you wire up the cluster for a coyote swap.

Sul303

Saudi Arabia? Profile say Colorado. No biggie, just curious.
Yeah good catch. I spent most of my life between Saudi and Colorado but ever since I moved out here (Saudi) to work full time I decided to pull the trigger on this project to fill my time here and develop my passion for cars even more. This should explain the Colorado in my profile.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Yup always wondered how you wire up the cluster for a coyote swap.

This depends on what your goals are for the cluster. Some people (like myself) like to keep the OEM cluster while others put in entirely new clusters. In my build thread I'll add details on what I did to get the oem cluster to work with the Gen 3.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Great project and good luck!!! If you need any assistance, reach out anytime. I’ve done several Yote swaps and am also currently doing a couple.
Glad to hear we have someone on here doing a lot of these. Once you do the first it one I can totally see how much easier it is do to the second and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread